Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skilled Migration - Just getting started

Skilled Migration - Just getting started

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

ScotsCouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Migration - Just getting started

Just starting the long visa application process . Was originally going to use an agent but the more I have read on this forum/internet I think I can probably do it myself (and save some money in the process)

Hopefully my case should not pose any problems (have relevant degree in Computing, 8 years IT work experience, etc, etc) so am hoping the skills assessment bit goes smoothly....few questions...

Is there a set document format that I should supply my previous employers in order to gather the correct information when obtaining references?

What are the common (avoidable) pitfalls that will cause an application to be rejected?? not looking for a big list here....but just general things to look out for based on other peoples experience.

Probably gonna post a lot of questions in the coming months so brace yourselves :lecture:

Cheers
Colin and Kim
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:13 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skilled Migration - Just getting started

ScotsCouple
Best bet is to re-post this on the 'immigration' forum. Try doing a search for specific questions.

Most skilled applications seem to get turned down on the work experience basis i.e. people are unable to evidence that they have worked in the job they are claiming. This goes beyond a CV - you ideally want to be submitting a job description for each role, on headed paper and signed by your employer/former employer. The basic priniciple is that you have to prove to DIMIA that you did XYZ job and unless they are convinced, you don't get the points. Same thing for relationships and other categories.

Good luck!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for this...

I realise that a lot could hinge on how a reference is worded, what paper its on etc so will try to cover all possible bases.

Am I home and dry after the skills assessment or are there lots of things that the actual Visa application can be rejected for?? Will obviously check (and double check everything), get certified copies where appropriate. Just felt the agent was a bit expensive, and once I had done a little digging of what the process involved, it did not seem as daunting as at first :scared:

Will also post on separate forum (forgive me, I'm a newbie)

Colin
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:01 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ScotsCouple
Cheers for this...

I realise that a lot could hinge on how a reference is worded, what paper its on etc so will try to cover all possible bases.

Am I home and dry after the skills assessment or are there lots of things that the actual Visa application can be rejected for??
Colin
In many ways, the skills assessment is the easy part. they just assess your qualifications. you need to evidence to DIMIA all your work experience and criteria for claiming points.

Noticed you are in IT - DIMIA are in the process of removing IT roles from skills in demand list. Have you checked all this out on the www.immi.gov.au site?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I realised that the IT roles were no longer on the Skills in demand list.

Did not need the extra points anyway (providing that the classification that I am apply under...'Applications & Analyst Programmer - ASCO 2231-17' is still worth 60 points).

Cheers
Colin