Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

skilled independent migration or state nominated????????

skilled independent migration or state nominated????????

Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

CBLORAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default skilled independent migration or state nominated????????

would some one please advise me, my husband is a apprentice trained first class sheet metal worker, fabricator, welder, aged 34 what i am wanting to know is would it be worth trying to go state nominated to victoria as we fell in love with the place when we went for christmas 2002 or should we just try independent. as we do have 115 points on his assessment, hope some out there see's this. Also good luck to you all, who are trying to escape the UK, and hope we all succeed in making a better future for ourselves and our familes. :)
Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skilled independent migration or state nominated????????

Originally posted by CBLORAC
would some one please advise me, my husband is a apprentice trained first class sheet metal worker, fabricator, welder, aged 34 what i am wanting to know is would it be worth trying to go state nominated to victoria as we fell in love with the place when we went for christmas 2002 or should we just try independent. as we do have 115 points on his assessment, hope some out there see's this. Also good luck to you all, who are trying to escape the UK, and hope we all succeed in making a better future for ourselves and our familes.

personally I would go for STNI
Sheet metal worker is on Victoria's occupation on demand list, so as you want to settle there anyway - go for STNI & hopefully get there quicker!!

Good luck
Hazel
Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

thanx hazel for your reply, as i was not too sure which to pick, i am glad i came across this website, thanx again
Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

contact victoria and tell them of your wish to live there and a brief outline of what/where/when etc

attach you hubby's c.v and they will pretty much tell you if they want you!!

stni is the best way to go if possible...

cheers

richard
Old Feb 21st 2003, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

would some one please advise me, my husband is a apprentice trained first class sheet metal worker, fabricator, welder, aged 34 what i am wanting to know is would it be worth trying to go state nominated to victoria as we fell in love with the place when we went for christmas 2002 or should we just try independent. as we do have 115 points on his assessment, hope some out there see's this. Also good luck to you all, who are trying to escape the UK, and hope we all succeed in making a better future for ourselves and our familes.

STNI is the way to go, but only if you are happy to live the in state that nominates you for at least 2 years. It s not just a case of you having the skills either, they look for some evidence that your decision is based on knowledge of living in the chosen state (at least this is what Victoria does) In my case for example, I provided my cv and other supporting evidence of having friends in Melbourne, and of having spent some considerable time there – anything that helps them see some commitment to the state rather than just using STNI as a fast track to that PR.

Joe
Old Feb 21st 2003, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

thanx inked, for all your info, when we went to australia we stayed with my husbands brother and his wife in melbourne, we met a lot of friends of theirs too, it was a beautiful place and the children loved it too, and while we were there for the full 5 weeks i knew i would love living there. So we will try STNI as well as skilled independed. thanx again to every one for answering my query
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx inked, for all your info, when we went to australia we stayed with my husbands brother and his wife in melbourne, we met a lot of friends of theirs too, it was a beautiful place and the children loved it too, and while we were there for the full 5 weeks i knew i would love living there. So we will try STNI as well as skilled independed. thanx again to every one for answering my query

Ahh its a pity you didnt drop in to chat to Suzie in the Vic Gov offices, I finally took my application in in person and had a long chat with Suzi and it all came back really fast.
All the best.
Joe
Old Feb 26th 2003, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

spencerwilde is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't work with Margaret Wilde by any chance do you??? I am her son's partner and we have lodged an application for migration............the waiting is doing my head in!!!!

Good luck with your application!!
Emma