Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skilled independant (hypothetical post)

Skilled independant (hypothetical post)

Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

BazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the rough
Default Skilled independant (hypothetical post)

Assuming I pass TRA (I am currently an Electrical fitter) - I will have enough points to enter Oz on a skilled independant visa which as I understand it means I can choose to live anywhere but can I also choose any type of Job - i.e. not the one for which I won the visa.

I am a keen sport diver in UK and if I am moving to the other side of the world I was thinking - Why stay with the same trade I have been in for 20 years? I could teach scuba diving or maybe do some commercial diving work.

Any one know what implication this has on visa.

Cheers Barry.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:15 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled independant (hypothetical post)

Originally Posted by BazzaMatthews
Assuming I pass TRA (I am currently an Electrical fitter) - I will have enough points to enter Oz on a skilled independant visa which as I understand it means I can choose to live anywhere but can I also choose any type of Job - i.e. not the one for which I won the visa.

I am a keen sport diver in UK and if I am moving to the other side of the world I was thinking - Why stay with the same trade I have been in for 20 years? I could teach scuba diving or maybe do some commercial diving work.

Cheers Barry.
you can be and do what ya want mate

No implications whatsoever as far as i know
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:16 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Barry.
Its fine mate - I'm here on a skilled 136 ind visa under CEO/General Manager. However, I am a PADI IDC Staff Instructor so enjoying the warmer waters.

The 136 gives you perm residency. What you do with that afterward is entirely up to you. Teach diving or whatever.

Come and enjoy the blue water instead of the green
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

BazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: Skilled independant (hypothetical post)

Originally Posted by Centurion
Its fine mate - I'm here on a skilled 136 ind visa under CEO/General Manager. However, I am a PADI IDC Staff Instructor so enjoying the warmer waters.

The 136 gives you perm residency. What you do with that afterward is entirely up to you. Teach diving or whatever.

Thanks for that - May have to investigate what tickets Oz commercial divers need then!!!! - can always go back to fitting if it don't work out.

Where are you based - I am planning on East coast somewhere.

Bazza
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that - May have to investigate what tickets Oz commercial divers need then!!!! - can always go back to fitting if it don't work out.

Bazza
Stupid me - just read your profile which states where your from - unlike mine!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Bazza
I'm in brisbane which does not have the coolest diving on the coast but its very good never the less. Beats diving the English Channel with sharks, the wreck of the Brisbane recently sunk and its nearly Manta season...

However, the barrier reef starts further north and Cairns is the place to be or further south. Jobs in recreational diving are of course few and far between well jobs not done by youngsters willing to work for peanuts) and I dont know what the commercial diving scene is like here or what ticket you'll need. Heres a link though to get ya started - http://www.descend.com.au/ The HSE approved the australian standard so it may well be that they will recognise a UK ticket.

Bottom line is that its a much better place to be.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

I'm in brisbane which does not have the coolest diving on the coast but its very good never the less. Beats diving the English Channel with sharks, the wreck of the Brisbane recently sunk and its nearly Manta season...

However, the barrier reef starts further north and Cairns is the place to be or further south. Jobs in recreational diving are of course few and far between well jobs not done by youngsters willing to work for peanuts) and I dont know what the commercial diving scene is like here or what ticket you'll need. Heres a link though to get ya started - http://www.descend.com.au/ The HSE approved the australian standard so it may well be that they will recognise a UK ticket.

Bottom line is that its a much better place to be.
Just checked on a few sites - seems the HSE part 1 ticket - which qualifies you to dive on scuba to 50m is equivalent to the ADAS (oz standard) pt3 - HSE medical also covers you. Most commercial diving courses qualify you to HSE pt3 (which is surface supplied) and use of wet bells etc. So a standard HSE ticket covers you to ADAS level5 - Then there are the saturation diving techniques which I think (still researching) are only certifiable by HSE and then you have to have so many hours commercial experience beofore being allowed on the course - Only one center for this in the whole Southern hemisphere apparently and that is in Tas'.

New country - New house - new car - new friends - so why not a new carreer too!!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to do that but it takes me so long to equalise I'd probably kill all my students
Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marco121068
I'd love to do that but it takes me so long to equalise I'd probably kill all my students
Be good practice for there out of air scenarios :scared: