Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skilled Immigration Policy

Skilled Immigration Policy

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Skilled Immigration Policy

Is Australia really doing itself any good with its "Skilled" immigration policy ?

We have a friend who is 30 years old (prime employment age), has a Masters degree in Mining Engineering ( good education and prime Australian employment sector).

You would think he would be snapped up by the Australian authorities. But no, he doesn't have enough points to pass the points test independently and will have to apply for immigration through a sponsored category.

Meanwhile back in Australia bricklayers, plasterers and hairdressers are being welcomed with open arms and even accorded MODL status.

I understand that it's a supply and demand thing and that these trades meet immediate shortages. But in the long term it makes for a less eduacted population which is not going to be able to continue competing in the increasingly well educated international arena.

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

oer you are on dogy ground here sunlover! are you insinuating that hairdressers etc are not cleverer than us academics!

ellen1
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the idea is to keep the balance right!!!!!
Anyway sunlover should you not be in in your "Nativly" run Suid Afrika or do you prefer critisising MM from a safe distance, In the UK or Aus.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled Immigration Policy

I, myself am only a lowley vehicle painter, however i do have as many qualifacations as possible for my trade but my agent thought it would be a good idea to get myself sponsered by the state of Victoria to speed up the whole process, which it has done.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
oer you are on dogy ground here sunlover! are you insinuating that hairdressers etc are not cleverer than us academics!

ellen1

Not as clever ? No, some of the most intelligent people have never been to University.

I believe I said less educated.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe I said less educated. [/QUOTE]

When you say less educated, what do you mean exactly?
If i spend three years in education learning to paint vehicles and someone else spends three years learning to be a nurse, does that make them more educated?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mikel
I think the idea is to keep the balance right!!!!!
Anyway sunlover should you not be in in your "Nativly" run Suid Afrika or do you prefer critisising MM from a safe distance, In the UK or Aus.

That's my point - there is no balance.

I have a British passport and a Canadian one and will eventually have an Australian one too, so I believe I can live anywhere I choose (including SOUTH AFRICA - we're NOT all Afrikaaners you know. South Africa was a British colony).

Considering that I live in the same city as MM I'd also say that there was no safe distance between us (not a well thought out post Mikel). :lecture:
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sunlover
Is Australia really doing itself any good with its "Skilled" immigration policy ?

We have a friend who is 30 years old (prime employment age), has a Masters degree in Mining Engineering ( good education and prime Australian employment sector).

You would think he would be snapped up by the Australian authorities. But no, he doesn't have enough points to pass the points test independently and will have to apply for immigration through a sponsored category.

Meanwhile back in Australia bricklayers, plasterers and hairdressers are being welcomed with open arms and even accorded MODL status.

I understand that it's a supply and demand thing and that these trades meet immediate shortages. But in the long term it makes for a less eduacted population which is not going to be able to continue competing in the increasingly well educated international arena.

If you want the answer, I suggest you find out how many Australian Mining Engineers are un/under-employed. Its a highly cyclic profession. With nickel prices up, first exploration will increase demand for geologists, drillers etc.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:52 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

if you let in only academics, then who is going to be around to build houses, fix your plumming, do your hair, etc?

The problem is that in all countries too many school leavers are encouraged to go to university and we are left with a lack of basic services. This is the long term problem. There are enough academics in Australia (too many, in fact). If there weren't, they would be letting more in!

If your mate was able to migrate unsponsored, he might find it very difficult to find a job due to the high unemployment rate in this sector in Australia. This is why he doesn't pass the points test.

I hope this clears things up for you

Mel (a tradesman's wife)

PS my husband trained for 4 years to be able to do his job well. That is the same length of time as a Masters degree. Less educated? I think you will find he was differently educated, to allow him to use his skills to ensure he is always employable.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:57 am
owieb

Originally posted by mika24me if you let in only academics, then who is going to be around to build houses, fix your plumming, do your hair, etc?
Perth is certainly not short of hairdressers, still amazes me that more and more keep coming.

Can understand the building aspect, Perth is just one big building site, north, south and east!

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sunlover
But in the long term it makes for a less eduacted population which is not going to be able to continue competing in the increasingly well educated international arena.
Don't think bricklayers, and plasterer's need to compete in the well educated international arena!!!
From whom : New professionals holding a "Master's Degree in Bricklaying" :scared: or "Bachelor's Degree in Plastering"

Well said MEL, a tradesman is able to use his skills to ensure he's always employable.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

I see so you have multiple nationality, would that include South African? because that would be illegaly in SA you know, so unless you have reciently left there you clearly can not live there.
The safe distance I am refering to is not MM but SA, so many people sit saying how great South Africa is now it is Free, yet no longer live there. I suppost Zimbabwe is also better off now it is free? and Zire and Zambia and Malawi and Liberia and Siera Leon and Ethiopia and and.

Out of interest why did you leave SA.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mikel
I see so you have multiple nationality, would that include South African? because that would be illegaly in SA you know, so unless you have reciently left there you clearly can not live there.
That's not true. You can get permission from Home Affairs to have dual nationality. I know because I have done it, I have dual UK/SA citizenship.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:51 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Put quite simply.....

How many jobs are there for acedmics, or more specifically, mining engineers. Geo engineering is'nt a primary employment sector. Miners/riggers etc, maybe; geos definatly not. For every 100 miners employed by a resourcing company there will be 1 geo. Its a very competitive area. Also, as mega says, it is very dependant upon mineral prices. There are two types of mineral deposit. A reserve, where the current economic conditions dictate that it is not viable to exploit the deposit, and a resource, where the price is right and you can lay the ground to waste. Lower prices = fewer geos.

How many jobs are there for plumbers/carpenters/brickies? Loads. This IS a primary employment sector. There are always homes being built. There are always renovations/repairs/extensions etc.

As for Aus becoming less educated.......why? We are still talking about a reletivly small % of the population being made up of immigrants, so the net effect upon the amount ot "educated" people would be small would it not?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:55 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Sunlover

I think you have a point bout long term balance.

But can you imagine any organisation, let alone a Govt department reporting to politicians, having the far sighted strategic thinking you talk of.

There is a current shortage of tradespeople, previously it was IT, who knows what it will be in the future. Might be mining, might not!

Immigration departments (and probably education
departments too) find it easier to focus on the current facts, rather than uncertain future needs. But they are not alone, it is the way business is run these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.