Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skill matching databse

Skill matching databse

Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Skill matching databse

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone on here has managed to secure work and a visa by registering on the database.
As a journalist, it's virtually impossible for me to get a visa any other way.
But don't know if Oz employers would generally bother trying to find workers this way?
Any thoughts, advice or info?
Thanks,
Dianne
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:28 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Skill matching databse

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone on here has managed to secure work and a visa by registering on the database.
But don't know if Oz employers would generally bother trying to find workers this way?
Thanks,
Dianne
Hi Dianne,
No answer to help you sorry, but I thought I'd bump you back to the top just in case there are any other journo's around.
Good luck
Sarah
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:35 pm
Professional Princess

Hi all,
Thanks,
Dianne

I thought journalists were on the skills list?

Where did you do you journo training Dianne?

Ive still got my Law to pass, but have everything else.

Bloody media law, I have nightmares about Contempt of Court Act!

Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Sorry to sound a bit dense and butt in but could you please tell me what this database is all about. e are struggling to get qualifications at the moment but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I havn't heard of anything like this so would appreciate any details.

Thanks

Debs
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I thought journalists were on the skills list?

Where did you do you journo training Dianne?

Ive still got my Law to pass, but have everything else.

Bloody media law, I have nightmares about Contempt of Court Act!
Hi,
yes it's on the skills list but I still don't get enough points for a skilled visa, and my boyfriend couldn't get one because he doeasn't have enough years work experience as a plumber for the TRA.
So I thought as a last resort I could just register on the database and see if I had any success. I don't believe it costs anything unless you are actually successful in getting a visa so nothing to lose I guess!
In answer to your other question, I did my journo training at Darlington 10 years ago.
Are you doing the NCTJ? I recall the sleepless night trying to remember all the law stuff. Although I actually quite liked law - it was the public affairs stuff which did my head in!
Was all pointless in the end anyway cos I've been working as a sports journalist for most of my working life so not even relevant
Good luck with yours. How long have you got to go?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Sorry to sound a bit dense and butt in but could you please tell me what this database is all about. e are struggling to get qualifications at the moment but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I havn't heard of anything like this so would appreciate any details.

Thanks

Debs
Hi Debs,
I'm not exactly sure how it works but if you don't have enough points for a general skilled application you can apply to register for skills matching database and hope an employer nominates you!
More details here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...l_matching.htm

Hope that helps,
Dianne
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Thanks for that Diane

I have just had a look and found it very interesting. We are struggling to get the 120 points now because of our age and are looking for skilled 'designated area' sponsored visa with the help of my brother. I did not know a database like this existed and once I get my degree results through, I will be putting my details on there so that I have covered all possible routes.

Thanks again

Debs
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:21 am
Professional Princess

Hi,
yes it's on the skills list but I still don't get enough points for a skilled visa, and my boyfriend couldn't get one because he doeasn't have enough years work experience as a plumber for the TRA.
So I thought as a last resort I could just register on the database and see if I had any success. I don't believe it costs anything unless you are actually successful in getting a visa so nothing to lose I guess!
In answer to your other question, I did my journo training at Darlington 10 years ago.
Are you doing the NCTJ? I recall the sleepless night trying to remember all the law stuff. Although I actually quite liked law - it was the public affairs stuff which did my head in!
Was all pointless in the end anyway cos I've been working as a sports journalist for most of my working life so not even relevant
Good luck with yours. How long have you got to go?

I passed everything over a year ago, but failed my Law exam twice by 4 marks.

I have kept deferring it due to other stuff going on etc.

I have paid for a revision course and the exam and will see if I can sit it at one of the colleges in London in the Summer, or it will be the Nationals in November.

I hated PA 1 and 2 as well. I only passed cos I watched the parliament channel every day for a week!

I quite like law, but find it stressful because the answers must be written and I struggle with writing as I have my middle right finger missing (accident) and I type much faster.

So its a struggle to get it done in the time. Mind you, the Law exams are 2 hours each now instead of an hour and a half :scared:

Got my Law update yesterday, how things change in a few months.

So you must have done the degree then?

I did the NCTJ course, which isnt recognised by the Aussie skills people, I need a degree.

Never mind.

I am having nightmares about Defamation Act!

Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to butt in again. when you said you passed it all over but had to wait for exam results, does that mean I can start the process before my results are through?

I am currently doing a job on the skilled list but do not have a degree so that is holding us back.

Debs
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I passed everything over a year ago, but failed my Law exam twice by 4 marks.

I have kept deferring it due to other stuff going on etc.

I have paid for a revision course and the exam and will see if I can sit it at one of the colleges in London in the Summer, or it will be the Nationals in November.

I hated PA 1 and 2 as well. I only passed cos I watched the parliament channel every day for a week!

I quite like law, but find it stressful because the answers must be written and I struggle with writing as I have my middle right finger missing (accident) and I type much faster.

So its a struggle to get it done in the time. Mind you, the Law exams are 2 hours each now instead of an hour and a half :scared:

Got my Law update yesterday, how things change in a few months.

So you must have done the degree then?

I did the NCTJ course, which isnt recognised by the Aussie skills people, I need a degree.

Never mind.

I am having nightmares about Defamation Act!
hehehehe. Defamation Act. Eek! All that learning and I've forgotten everything now
Good luck with the exam - I'm sure you'll sail through it this time.
How did you get on with shorthand? I don't use it much now, but it does stay with you forever. If ever I take a phone message I find myself writing it in shorthand as a matter of habit! Very strange
I did a degree but not in journalism - it was in sport studies. Would this matter for the Aussie skills people?
All the best,
Dianne
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:39 am
Professional Princess

hehehehe. Defamation Act. Eek! All that learning and I've forgotten everything now
Good luck with the exam - I'm sure you'll sail through it this time.
How did you get on with shorthand? I don't use it much now, but it does stay with you forever. If ever I take a phone message I find myself writing it in shorthand as a matter of habit! Very strange
I did a degree but not in journalism - it was in sport studies. Would this matter for the Aussie skills people?
All the best,
Dianne

I love shorthand. Passed teeline about 10 years ago at 60wpm, now my speeds are quite bad at 80wpm.

But I think its a skill and you can write your diary in it and noone can read it.

Where do you work now?

I just do freelance stuff now and temping to keep the money in.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I love shorthand. Passed teeline about 10 years ago at 60wpm, now my speeds are quite bad at 80wpm.

But I think its a skill and you can write your diary in it and noone can read it.

Where do you work now?

I just do freelance stuff now and temping to keep the money in.
After working on local newspapers, I spent a year at the Press Assoication just sub-editing, and am now with Teletext.
But I'm going to quit before starting my working holiday in Oz in June. Could be a big mistake cos it's quite well paid and a pretty easy job, but have been there nearly three years and am now ready to take a risk!
Hoping to use my skills to get some casual work on newspapers in Oz - I can also use Quark and Photshop to design pages - but don't know if I'll have much luck.
What do you reckon?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:21 am
Professional Princess

After working on local newspapers, I spent a year at the Press Assoication just sub-editing, and am now with Teletext.
But I'm going to quit before starting my working holiday in Oz in June. Could be a big mistake cos it's quite well paid and a pretty easy job, but have been there nearly three years and am now ready to take a risk!
Hoping to use my skills to get some casual work on newspapers in Oz - I can also use Quark and Photshop to design pages - but don't know if I'll have much luck.
What do you reckon?

Tell you what you should do, visit www.pomsinperth.com and contact Nigel I think his email is [email protected]

He can get an 'Aussie style CV' which believe me, makes a huge difference.

It generally sells the person more and is layed out differently to ours.

Costs about 60 pounds I think.

But feedback so far has been positive from people having had job offers etc.

Get a good CV highlighting your skills and be prepared to sell yourself and you will be fine.

I have always wanted to learn Quark

Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tell you what you should do, visit www.pomsinperth.com and contact Nigel I think his email is [email protected]

He can get an 'Aussie style CV' which believe me, makes a huge difference.

It generally sells the person more and is layed out differently to ours.

Costs about 60 pounds I think.

But feedback so far has been positive from people having had job offers etc.

Get a good CV highlighting your skills and be prepared to sell yourself and you will be fine.

I have always wanted to learn Quark
Thank you so much for that info. I'm definitely going to try that - I'm sure it will help.
Good luck with all your stuff - who are you freelancing for at the mo?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Thanks,
Dianne
Sorry to burst your bubble, but getting nominated off the skill matching databas is nigh on impossible, 1 in a million chance.

Best way is to register on the database then keep pursuing other avenues such as RSMS, SIR or ENS, your best chance would be to get a job offer, then take it from there, but dont wait for someone to come running to you because you are on the database it wont happen, but when you do find a job offer things will get sped up because you are on the database.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.