Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skill but no Degree

Skill but no Degree

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future
Default Skill but no Degree

Hi,

I'm considering emigrating to Australia but I'm unsure as to whether I would pass the points score or not.

Even though my current occupation (IT) is on the SOL list and a 60 pointer at that I'm worried that because I don't have a university degree they won't consider it valid.

Am I wasting my time? Also on average how long is the current visa application taking?

Just noticed that this is in the wrong forum. Any chance of someone moving it to the correct one

Last edited by stokesy43; Nov 2nd 2005 at 7:02 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:04 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skill but no Degree

Originally Posted by stokesy43
Hi,

I'm considering emigrating to Australia but I'm unsure as to whether I would pass the points score or not.

Even though my current occupation (IT) is on the SOL list and a 60 pointer at that I'm worried that because I don't have a university degree they won't consider it valid.

Am I wasting my time? Also on average how long is the current visa application taking?

Just noticed that this is in the wrong forum. Any chance of someone moving it to the correct one
Have a look at the back of the SOL. There is a list (with websites) of the various skills assessment bodies. You need to check out the websites for the assessing bodies relevant for IT and see what their exact requirements are for assessing your skill (i.e. whether they all expect applicants to have a degree).

You need to get a positive skills assessment first before you can apply for a visa. If you're applying for a 136 (skilled independent) visa, these currently take about 5-6 months to come through.

Good luck

Gina
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

My hubby is in the same position but we're going out on a 457 as his company is sponsoring him. Any chance you could go down that route?
TJ
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
My hubby is in the same position but we're going out on a 457 as his company is sponsoring him. Any chance you could go down that route?
TJ
I was hoping it would be possible but unfortunately it falls into a catch 22 situation. They won't hire anyone until the contracts are signed and when they are signed they need people quickly. It's a bit shortsighted but that's what I'm up against.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I have a degree but nothing to do with IT, which is my skill. Therefore in DIMIA terms I do not have a degree....

I filled in a long form from the Oz Computer Assoc (as on skills assessment list) and they recognise that my experience is equiv to a degree...was a long process and I had to get every cert which SAP offered me, but we got there in the end.

Good luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping it would be possible but unfortunately it falls into a catch 22 situation. They won't hire anyone until the contracts are signed and when they are signed they need people quickly. It's a bit shortsighted but that's what I'm up against.
We came over on a 457 with hubby's company sponsoring for PR. It was very quick with the application all done electronically now and we are doing all of the long winded stuff while here.
It might be worth looking into.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Hi,

Can't you go the Recognition of Prior Learning route?

Our visa took about 10 months including the skills assessment. You can see how long people are taking by the http://www.austimeline.com/ site.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

As ossiegeno said ACS will give a positive assessment via the RPL route and 8 years professional experience for people who don't have degree's.