Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ski wear/thermals question

Ski wear/thermals question

Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ski wear/thermals question

My son is going to Canberra area on a school skiing trip in September.
I am looking to buy some thermal underwear for him but have no idea what is best, cotton or wool? Also, what sort of socks will he need?
It is years since I last went skiing so the memories have faded somewhat!
Is skiing in Aus similar to France or something else entirely?
Any advice on what he absolutely must take with him would be appreciated. He is going to hire jacket, trs, goggles & gloves.

Thanks peeps!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ski wear/thermals question

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
I am looking to buy some thermal underwear for him but have no idea what is best, cotton or wool? Also, what sort of socks will he need?
Any advice on what he absolutely must take with him would be appreciated. He is going to hire jacket, trs, goggles & gloves.

Thanks peeps!
Skiing in Oz is just like France - even better. Massive mountains, long runs, few crowds, constant waist deep powder, and no bogans whatsoever. This is what makes it the most expensive place to ski in the world. To top that off its only a 10 minute drive from downtown Canberra.

On a serious note. I saw them selling ski gear in Aldi a couple of months back. ..... and don't forget to arm your son with the best part of your monthly salary.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:02 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Hiya Sal!

Will he be skiing or boarding? Either way add on hat (he might want to hire a helmet if he's boarding), suncream and sunnies. Don't buy anything cotton - I wear polyester socks, long sleeved top and leggings underneath (cotton gets too wet and cold and I find wool too scratchy!). If he's boarding then he might want to hire some wrist guards too.

x
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:41 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally,

On the negative side the runs are shorter and the lifts are slower (or rather there are not that many resorts with express lifts). Ticket prices are high and you have to pay park entry.

On the positive side the queues for the lifts are normally short or non existent. I find accommodation to be cheaper and the slopes are easier to get to.

The challenge of the slopes will depend on the resorts. Obviously Aussie slopes won't compete with European slopes as the mountains here are not particularly high.

However, I have had some fantastic skiing experiences here.

Last edited by Rambi; Jul 19th 2011 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks peeps!
Silk. Very lightweight, warm and breathes. For socks - wool (unless he's allergic).

I used to have silk thermal undies for walking in the Canadian winters. They're a little more expensive than the basic cotton ones, but so comfy and warm. http://www.wintersilks.com/longunder...aspx?BRANCH=1~
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys. He has never been skiing before so he will have nothing to compare it to anyway & yes, it is an expensive trip!
He has decided to snowboard so thanks for the tip about wrist guards Peeps.
Think he is going to feel cold whatever he wears tbh, coming from Cairns
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:49 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys. He has never been skiing before so he will have nothing to compare it to anyway & yes, it is an expensive trip!
He has decided to snowboard so thanks for the tip about wrist guards Peeps.
Think he is going to feel cold whatever he wears tbh, coming from Cairns
If he's boarding you might want to get some extra insulation for the bum. After falling leaf I think the next thing they teach boarders is sitting around on the slopes.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rambi
If he's boarding you might want to get some extra insulation for the bum. After falling leaf I think the next thing they teach boarders is sitting around on the slopes.
He'll be a natural then, he's very good at that!