Reload this Page >

Size of double bed UK vs Oz

Size of double bed UK vs Oz

Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Size of double bed UK vs Oz

Hi all,

This might be a strange question but.....

I have a double bed which I would like to take to Australia with me. The mattress is a bit old now, so I don't think its worth taking that, but the bed itself is solid.

The question is: Are double beds in Oz the same size as double beds in the UK? ie Will an Ozzie mattress fit on my UK bed?

Cheers.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

A double in the UK is probably the size of a Queensize here, beware though beds are relatively cheap but the mattresses will cost you a fortune!
Sweet Dreams!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:02 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Size of double bed UK vs Oz

Originally posted by keith (UK)
Hi all,

This might be a strange question but.....

I have a double bed which I would like to take to Australia with me. The mattress is a bit old now, so I don't think its worth taking that, but the bed itself is solid.

The question is: Are double beds in Oz the same size as double beds in the UK? ie Will an Ozzie mattress fit on my UK bed?

Cheers.
We bought all our King size bedding from the Uk to Oz with us and it fits our Queen size bed well!!?? We have been told that the QS here are the same as KS in the UK, sees right as our bedding fitted.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, thats right, UK king-size, is the equivalent of Aussie Queen-size. UK Queens size is an ordinary Aussie double bed.
If you have an Aussie king-size bed you need a map to find your way to the edge!
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Yeah, thats right, UK king-size, is the equivalent of Aussie Queen-size. UK Queens size is an ordinary Aussie double bed.
If you have an Aussie king-size bed you need a map to find your way to the edge!
So going one stage further - presumably a UK superking size is Aussie kingsize? We have 2 single beds you zip together to make a superking size bed (6' wide) It's a right pain finding bedding over here (found John Lewis do a good range). Will we be Ok in Aus?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:41 pm
HKH
Just Joined

HKH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Size of double bed UK vs Oz

Here are the actual mattress sizes from a mattress manufacturer:

Size: Width Length
Single 92 cm 188 cm
King Single 107cm 203cm
Double 138cm 188 cm
Queen 153cm 203cm
King 183cm 203cm

HKH
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:49 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

We bought a Queen size in Oz and brought it back with us. We already had a UK King Size and so when we moved into our house put the King size into the biggest bedroom. When we put the Queen into the other it looked so big and when we measured them it was bigger than our Uk King size, hate to think how an Ozzie King size would have fitted in.