Size of cities

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:25 am
Badge

Default Size of cities

People often talk that Australia is often some sort of backwater with cities of no consequence...or of the congested SE of the UK.

welll..every major Aussie capital has at least 1m people (Adelaide). Melbourne has 3m odd.

Well although London has 7.5m odd, Birmingham has only 1m, every other city in the UK ranges between 250,000 - 500,000 thousand people. Quite small really.

Even in the US, after New York 7m approx, LA 3.5m, Chicago 2.7m, only 5 more have populations of a 1m. Boston has the same as Liverpool, 500,000, San Fran on 750,000.

That's the size of the cities; seems to me I quite living in space next to a city of millions. Best of both worlds.

Badge

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:37 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Size of cities

Originally Posted by Badge
People often talk that Australia is often some sort of backwater with cities of no consequence...or of the congested SE of the UK.

welll..every major Aussie capital has at least 1m people (Adelaide). Melbourne has 3m odd.

Well although London has 7.5m odd, Birmingham has only 1m, every other city in the UK ranges between 250,000 - 500,000 thousand people. Quite small really.

Even in the US, after New York 7m approx, LA 3.5m, Chicago 2.7m, only 5 more have populations of a 1m. Boston has the same as Liverpool, 500,000, San Fran on 750,000.

That's the size of the cities; seems to me I quite living in space next to a city of millions. Best of both worlds.

Badge
Badge, I think the difference is that Aussie cities only go so far then there is nothing for a while (a big while in many cases) but in the UK the built up areas keep going and going.

Someone told me the other day that the Birmingham / Wolverhampton connurbation (see two cities have merged into one) is 2 million people but within an hours commute there are probably 3 times that making it similar to Sydney in terms of size and congestion but without the infrastructure to get them in and out. I have a friend who commuted from Warwick to London for a while and that is nearly 100 miles away. There are probably 100 in the Warwick area that do that so he isn't a one-off. If you drew a circle around London at 100 miles you could argue it is a commutable city of about 20million.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:41 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge

Badge
I think population quotes for cities can sometimes be misleading. Manchester has a population of about 450,000, but the Greater Manchester built up area has well over a million people. The New York built up area has about 12 million people, when you take into account the Long Island suburbs, Jersey City, Newark, White Plains etc. The figures quoted for Aus cities are I believe usually for the entire built up area.

It always amazes me that most Aussies cram themselves into five cities. I know that availability of work figures in this, but that still leaves an awful lot of relatively empty countryside where very few people live. More space for me to enjoy though....
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by worzel
Badge, I think the difference is that Aussie cities only go so far then there is nothing for a while (a big while in many cases) but in the UK the built up areas keep going and going.

Someone told me the other day that the Birmingham / Wolverhampton connurbation (see two cities have merged into one) is 2 million people but within an hours commute there are probably 3 times that making it similar to Sydney in terms of size and congestion but without the infrastructure to get them in and out. I have a friend who commuted from Warwick to London for a while and that is nearly 100 miles away. There are probably 100 in the Warwick area that do that so he isn't a one-off. If you drew a circle around London at 100 miles you could argue it is a commutable city of about 20million.

Worzel,

Absolutely true about those 2 regions....now if you could...convert to kilometres cos thats what it is here....Metric gone mad here.

For what it's worth..here in Perth the city is only 3km wide and 1km north/south. But then again there is Fremantle which is 20 km away. The rest like Joondalup/Mandurah/Midland are only satelite towns with mainly retail outlets.

Total Perth Metro population now is 1.5 million and rising.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tonyk38

It always amazes me that most Aussies cram themselves into five cities. I know that availability of work figures in this, but that still leaves an awful lot of relatively empty countryside where very few people live. More space for me to enjoy though....

True, the demise of country living and working is diminishing. ANd the offspring of those there now are migrating towards the cities for greater financial reward etc.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:56 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Worzel,

Absolutely true about those 2 regions....now if you could...convert to kilometres cos thats what it is here....Metric gone mad here.

For what it's worth..here in Perth the city is only 3km wide and 1km north/south. But then again there is Fremantle which is 20 km away. The rest like Joondalup/Mandurah/Midland are only satelite towns with mainly retail outlets.

Total Perth Metro population now is 1.5 million and rising.
100 miles is about 150km.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worzel
100 miles is about 150km.

Now I see the madness of some commuters in London region. 150km is half way to Margaret River from Perth. Or Bunbury to be close...dont know anybody who does the commute from there