Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Six weeks in Perth

Six weeks in Perth

Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future
Default Six weeks in Perth

Been in Perth for about six weeks now and settling in well.
We did the fast-track route here, hubby is on a three year contract, so will be heading back to UK then. Was all a bit of a whirl wind, he got the job, a month later we all came for the reccy visit, found a rental and school, then six weeks later here we were.
A few tips I was happy to have had

- make sure your rental has heating, it's chilly at night
- local libraries have internet access, usually free.
- most of the suberbs have their own web sites, great for local info.
- 'flybys' are a kind of loyalty card, you'll get asked at most supermarkets if you have one.
- you can get copies of yellow pages for free from post offices
- post offices and news agents have lists of telephone calling cards, I have two, one is 49cents connection then 1 cent minute, the other no connection fee and 2cents minute.So calls to the UK are peanuts.
- get the Entertainment Book, hundreds of money off vouchers to restaurants and touristy places, costs $60 which you make back after using one or two vouchers. Also good as it has some menu's and tells you if places are BYO or licenced.

I have been suprised at the cost of some things here, groceries are similar priced if not dearer here. I can find just about everything I want, fresh fruit is limited by season, but tinned is cheap so can still get good variety.If you really need Marmite and PG-Tips there are several UK shops about, but very expensive.
We had been told eating out is dirt cheap, not really found that, but the quality is very good. A good restaurant you are looking about $35 for a main and same for a bottle of wine. We can go to our local Vietnamese and 4 of us have a wonderfull meal with BYO for $80. If you look around there's noodle bars at $6 meal, and Japanese for the same.
Electrical goods we have found to be comparable to the UK, and play the shops off against each other - they nearly all say they won't be beaten on price.
Car, we got 15% off an already discounted car (new) plus a few dealer fit things thrown in by going in confident and saying what we wanted. Worth spending time at a few showrooms and play them against each other.
Only hassle has been the bank, Commonwealth. Customer service is very poor, but now it's all set up and running it's fine.
Be warned, I find a lot of places will want to talk to my husband, for example Foxtel wouldn't let me rearrange installation when they came and I was out, insisted on my hubby doing it. I politely told them to sod off and bought a digi box instead!

All in all, has been quite frustrating, but now we are settling down to normal life and it feels like home. It's a beautiful place and the people are friendly, I'm determined to make the most of it seeing as I know I ony have three years here.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six weeks in Perth

Originally Posted by sunnyskies
Only hassle has been the bank, Commonwealth. Customer service is very poor, but now it's all set up and running it's fine.
You didn't have the misfortune of dealing with that awful Chinese woman in the migrant banking section did you?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Perth for about six weeks now and settling in well.
We did the fast-track route here, hubby is on a three year contract, so will be heading back to UK then. Was all a bit of a whirl wind, he got the job, a month later we all came for the reccy visit, found a rental and school, then six weeks later here we were.
A few tips I was happy to have had

- make sure your rental has heating, it's chilly at night
- local libraries have internet access, usually free.
- most of the suberbs have their own web sites, great for local info.
- 'flybys' are a kind of loyalty card, you'll get asked at most supermarkets if you have one.
- you can get copies of yellow pages for free from post offices
- post offices and news agents have lists of telephone calling cards, I have two, one is 49cents connection then 1 cent minute, the other no connection fee and 2cents minute.So calls to the UK are peanuts.
- get the Entertainment Book, hundreds of money off vouchers to restaurants and touristy places, costs $60 which you make back after using one or two vouchers. Also good as it has some menu's and tells you if places are BYO or licenced.

I have been suprised at the cost of some things here, groceries are similar priced if not dearer here. I can find just about everything I want, fresh fruit is limited by season, but tinned is cheap so can still get good variety.If you really need Marmite and PG-Tips there are several UK shops about, but very expensive.
We had been told eating out is dirt cheap, not really found that, but the quality is very good. A good restaurant you are looking about $35 for a main and same for a bottle of wine. We can go to our local Vietnamese and 4 of us have a wonderfull meal with BYO for $80. If you look around there's noodle bars at $6 meal, and Japanese for the same.
Electrical goods we have found to be comparable to the UK, and play the shops off against each other - they nearly all say they won't be beaten on price.
Car, we got 15% off an already discounted car (new) plus a few dealer fit things thrown in by going in confident and saying what we wanted. Worth spending time at a few showrooms and play them against each other.
Be warned, I find a lot of places will want to talk to my husband, for example Foxtel wouldn't let me rearrange installation when they came and I was out, insisted on my hubby doing it. I politely told them to sod off and bought a digi box instead!

All in all, has been quite frustrating, but now we are settling down to normal life and it feels like home. It's a beautiful place and the people are friendly, I'm determined to make the most of it seeing as I know I ony have three years here.
Hope ypu have many happy years in Perth, its a lovely City, we spent last weekend there with my son. Denise
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Sounds like you are settling in well. I hope you and your family are very happy there.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
You didn't have the misfortune of dealing with that awful Chinese woman in the migrant banking section did you?

Yes, that's the one, Ming something or the other. Tried to make us feel as though we ought to be grateful they let us in the door.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Yes, that's the one, Ming something or the other. Tried to make us feel as though we ought to be grateful they let us in the door.
Haha - remind me to avoid her then! Good to hear you're settling in well, I hope to join you in Perth in August!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

That's her Ming - what a BITCH.

Another reason to avoid the Crimminwealth Bank.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

That's her Ming - what a BITCH.

Another reason to avoid the Crimminwealth Bank.
Ming the Merciless
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:50 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by sunbather
Ming the Merciless
I've emailed Crimminweath Bank with a link to this thread. Let's see if they get back to me
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I've emailed Crimminweath Bank with a link to this thread. Let's see if they get back to me
Keep us up to date. If I were the bank, one employee is not worth the good name of a whole company Perhaps she could be sidelined to HR manager
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

We also met Ming when we arrived. We found her to be quite friendly BUT she spoke so fast with her accent that we looked at each other and said 'did you get any of that?' We felt very rushed and were glad when it was all sorted and we could get out of there.