Six Nations

Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Six Nations

There is often a lot said about the way the Australian media doesn't report on sporting events if Australia loses or, if they do, they make excuses (none of which I dispute).

However, it would seem that perhaps England have been taking lessons. I have seen very little in the papers here in the UK about the Six Nations and, more to the point, England's disappointing result. All the rugby mad fans that came out of the wood work for the World Cup have seemed to crawl back there.

When there is comment made in the media, there is blame placed on retirements, injuries, lack of stability rather than saying France deserve to win.

Just a thought!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:40 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Six Nations

I will miss the 6 nations like mad once I'm in Oz, but as Mr Anya pointed out to me last night when I was bewailing this fact, why *should* Oz cover this tournament? There are no Oz teams playing, maybe there aren't even any Oz players in the teams, so why would the average Aussie be interested?

After all, he says, the only Tennis you get to see on UK terrestrial TV is Wimbledon. I have to watch cable to see the other tournaments.

Think the solution will be to get my Mom-in-Law to video the 6 nations games & send me the tapes. I can then have 6 nations parties & invite all the rugby-loving Brits round to watch the tapes with me!

However the downside is that if the Aussie media reports the results, I'll have to avoid the spoilers by hiding in the airing cupboard (do Aussie houses have them?) for several days/weeks until the tapes arrive

Anya.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:57 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

OK - I agree miss Rugby and football here ---- so much

But Ireland did win the TRIPLE CROWN!

whilst it might not be live on TV to watch there is still radio and the internet..........I can picture the ugly bunch now!

Cheers
Old Mar 30th 2004, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by anya4oz
I will miss the 6 nations like mad once I'm in Oz, but as Mr Anya pointed out to me last night when I was bewailing this fact, why *should* Oz cover this tournament? There are no Oz teams playing, maybe there aren't even any Oz players in the teams, so why would the average Aussie be interested?

After all, he says, the only Tennis you get to see on UK terrestrial TV is Wimbledon. I have to watch cable to see the other tournaments.

Think the solution will be to get my Mom-in-Law to video the 6 nations games & send me the tapes. I can then have 6 nations parties & invite all the rugby-loving Brits round to watch the tapes with me!

Can we come - PLEASE!! Its the one thing we will really miss- and persuading hubby that it will all be okay isn't really working. Afraid we won't always be cheering the same side, Wales will beat the English one day soon - but hey, it would just add to the atmosphere!!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 6:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Being Scottish it was a blessing that six nations wasn't on TV over here. I'll still go see them playing the Aussies in Melbourne in June though. Might take my Scottish flag in one pocket & Wallabies scarf in the other.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MeganEkno
When there is comment made in the media, there is blame placed on retirements, injuries, lack of stability rather than saying France deserve to win.

Just a thought!
A touch of Aussie myopia or selective memory loss? The Sunday Times pages 4-5, big headline:

"Classy French Spoil Bold England Revival" - Sweet slam for Les Bleus

- certainly read as a balanced article to me.

Unlike the so-called quality Aussie newspapers attempting to belittle their English opponents - before and after the Rugby Union final - with comments like "Is that all you've got." Oh, and don't forget the Aussies complaining about the rain.

Aussie players? What a bunch of girlies!!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:34 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by anya4oz

Anya.
Apparently, New Zealand cover it -- so if they can do it, and there's enough interest over there with their low population ( 4 mill?) , Aus can do it ( Aus players - there was one in the Welsh team.. not that he's ever done us any good , and isn't the scottish coach an Aussie?). One of the 6 nations ref was an Aussie (the B8stard! ) . I did used to watch the 6n on foxtel sport channel a few years ago ( around 3 or 4 years ago) - they used to show it, but alas no more.

There is enough English/welsh/scottish and Irish plus other rugby fans for the TV to cover it here - if they only just wake up to themselves.. plus the time diff, the 6 nations shown live here would be around 2am .. so it's not as if it would be knocking off any of their "wonderful "regular programes here.

I got to see most of the matches when I was back home , except the last two weekends.. wouldn't of mind seeing the Welsh/English match ( even though we lost to them) And the French/English game - bet that was a classic (I saw the Irish/English game )

cheers
Old Mar 31st 2004, 1:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian & Lou
Originally posted by anya4oz

Can we come - PLEASE!! Its the one thing we will really miss- and persuading hubby that it will all be okay isn't really working. Afraid we won't always be cheering the same side, Wales will beat the English one day soon - but hey, it would just add to the atmosphere!!
Do you want to borrow my 1999 tape? classic! in injury time ... oooh ohh ... tune of spooky music and harps (ever watched twin town .. the scene when they are talking about a classic win?) .. ahh memories.

Didn't get to see the Welsh English match ( I flew back the Thursday before the weekend) .. but I stayed up to listen to it via internet (BBC) .. and it sounded like a brill game.... leading .. then they blew it! (getting to be a habit, I could kick them up the ar*se ! )

Nearly, always, should have, if , if ' if ( you should have been here in Brissie during the quarters.. argh!)

seriously though... you can see them coming together now .

And as for the French match - we could have won that (( bl**dy aus ref .., that try by Williams should have been allowed ... crossing .. my arse! they did not pull the French up on it- they did that all through the match , plus bl**dy wrong decision by ourselves going for an easy kick instead of a try.. we brought that on ourselves.. if, if , if,.. no good saying if ... but I can see them coming together now)

cheers
Old Mar 31st 2004, 1:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2003 tape is much better.

The rugby coverage since the World Cup has certainly gone down. No six nations and super 12 confined to foxtel.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Maro is an unknown quantity at this point

There isn't even Six Nations on Foxtel - it sucks. You can watch Super 12 and Tri-nations in England on cable
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra

But Ireland did win the TRIPLE CROWN!

Cheers
A very important point - well worth making again
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by bondipom
The 2003 tape is much better.
I fell asleep during that... was waiting for a try from England , got so bored .. I fell asleep...snooze

Cheers
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:56 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

who cares about all that rugby?

I'm waiting for NZ to come over and thrash England in the cricket.

(by thrash I mean win at least one more tight game than england does)
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:01 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Simple, just switch allegiance to rugby league (better game anyway in my view) then you'll never be short of something to watch!

Me and Mr Bundy are avid league fans. Sunday mornings wouldn't be the same without getting up to watch the aussie NRL games on Sky...Big battle coming up in our house as my team is Newcastle Knights and Mr Bundy's is (useless) St George, and they are about to play each other...
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:41 pm
Badge

Originally posted by bundy
Simple, just switch allegiance to rugby league (better game anyway in my view) then you'll never be short of something to watch!
Your bang on the money Bundy. I never saw the point of the 13 man game until I came to Australia then I saw the light. It is a game with no let up. Tackle after tackle every one gets a go, not just the forwards. Must be one of the toughest sports out there.

I only went and corked my knee a few weeks ago though!! Limping around for a week afterwards.

My team are in the First Division here in Melbourne and its great. Apart from my knee and the new job couldn't have come at a worse time!

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.