Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Six Months in Oz but Keep Getting Sick

Six Months in Oz but Keep Getting Sick

Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:35 am
Arrived Oz Oct 2013

Elizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to all
Default Six Months in Oz but Keep Getting Sick

Hi All

My dream finally came true and I moved to Queensland in October last year and I love it. The only downside is that I seem to have been sick such a lot since I arrived with Allergies, Ear Infection, Chest Infection, Colds. I hardly ever got a cold in the UK and can't understand why I keep getting them now (my hubby has been fine). My daughter thinks it might just be different strains to viruses that what I have been exposed to in the past but it's very frustrating.

Anyone else had the same problems? And any suggestions on what I can do to boost my immune system?

I'm in Far North Queensland so just coming out of the wet season and going into winter which I'm looking forward to .

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six Months in Oz but Keep Getting Sick

Have you got mould/damp issues in your home? Its very common so please don't be offended by the question.
Otherwise I do think it is common for your body to react to a variance in conditions, we went through a similar thing during our first year but is then just disappeared...lots of wine helped!@
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:45 am
Arrived Oz Oct 2013

Elizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to all

Hahaha yes I have to say the wine and medicinal JD helps

There are no signs of any mold in the house but I have put moisture absorbers in all the wardrobes and linen cupboard and it amazes me how much water they collect.

I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one this has happened too so thanks for your reply
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth31
...I moved to Queensland in October last year ... I seem to have been sick such a lot since I arrived with Allergies, Ear Infection, Chest Infection, Colds. ...I'm in Far North Queensland so just coming out of the wet season and going into winter which I'm looking forward to .
First, well, far north queensland doesn't get winter, it get's the dry. Preferable to the wet, but don't expect any snow in the tropics...

Yes you will get a number of different wheezes and diseases being newly arrived. You have built up no immunity, and that takes time for the body to adapt. Also the humidity does play hell with lungs and fungal infections.

There's a reason most people live in the south.

Eventually your body will adapt and not only will the diseases have a harder time, you will think Melbourne and Sydney cold.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth31
Hi All

My dream finally came true and I moved to Queensland in October last year and I love it. The only downside is that I seem to have been sick such a lot since I arrived with Allergies, Ear Infection, Chest Infection, Colds. I hardly ever got a cold in the UK and can't understand why I keep getting them now (my hubby has been fine). My daughter thinks it might just be different strains to viruses that what I have been exposed to in the past but it's very frustrating.

Anyone else had the same problems? And any suggestions on what I can do to boost my immune system?

I'm in Far North Queensland so just coming out of the wet season and going into winter which I'm looking forward to .

Thanks
I think changing countries does have this kind of effect

When I first moved to the UK, I would constantly get colds, viruses, chest infections etc
Old Apr 15th 2014, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely the change of country- your body's bioflora and immune system is exposed to all sorts of new viruses and bacteria. It takes time to build up your immune response to the new microbes, so expect to get sick!

(Sorry that isn't too cheerful.)
Old Apr 15th 2014, 4:05 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We experienced the same thing when we first arrived. Seemed to catch every little thing that went around. Eventually we returned to our normal ratio of being health/sick.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife lost her sense of smell a few years ago now. She uses an inhaler for allergies & they got worse & worse to the point her sense of smell has gone. The doc attributed it to pollen & dust. After a course of antibiotics it returns for a week or two then fades away again. She's happy to just live with it.
We returned to the U.K for 8 weeks at Christmas & it came back after a week lol .