Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR Visa and mortgage

SIR Visa and mortgage

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:49 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all
Default SIR Visa and mortgage

Hi

We have been in Oz for 9 months now and are looking to sell our house in the UK and buy over here. I have spoken to a mortgage adviser today who said there may be a problem with us getting a mortgage because we don't have permanent residency yet....that will take us another 2+ years to obtain. The SIR visa is a temporary visa for those who aren't familiar with it. Does anyone have any experience in this area?? We understand that we have to get approval from the Foreign Investment Board but don't know what this entails.

Thanks,
Sandra
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:30 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR Visa and mortgage

Originally Posted by SJR
Hi

We have been in Oz for 9 months now and are looking to sell our house in the UK and buy over here. I have spoken to a mortgage adviser today who said there may be a problem with us getting a mortgage because we don't have permanent residency yet....that will take us another 2+ years to obtain. The SIR visa is a temporary visa for those who aren't familiar with it. Does anyone have any experience in this area?? We understand that we have to get approval from the Foreign Investment Board but don't know what this entails.

Thanks,
Sandra
My friend in Adelaide on an SIR visa got FIRB approval within 3 weeks of landing. Not too sure about a mortgage though as he is filthy rich and didn't need one...

S
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:39 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
My friend in Adelaide on an SIR visa got FIRB approval within 3 weeks of landing. Not too sure about a mortgage though as he is filthy rich and didn't need one...

S
Thanks for that. Is your filthy rich mate going to be living in the house or is it for investment? Investment doesn't seem to be a problem so long as we don't live in the house but that's the whole point! I want to have my own house so I can put 50,000 picture hooks in the walls if I want to!

I wish i was filthy rich
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:44 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJR
Thanks for that. Is your filthy rich mate going to be living in the house or is it for investment? Investment doesn't seem to be a problem so long as we don't live in the house but that's the whole point! I want to have my own house so I can put 50,000 picture hooks in the walls if I want to!

I wish i was filthy rich
Well perhaps I'm doing him a little diservice, but he had enough to buy outright anyway. Yes, they are going to be living in it, but it doesn't complete until January if I remember correctly.

I'd give you his name but he probably wouldn't appreciate it...

Suffice to say, he did get FIRB approval in a very short period of time.

Hope that helps,

S
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SJR
Hi

Thanks,
Sandra
I am coming to aus in Nov on a sirs visa. I am under the assumption that u can buy when u want to, providing you have permision from your state. We are going to Queensland so maybe it is a little different there.I am also a little confused as to why it will take another 2 years for ur permanent visa if u have already been there 9 months.thought u can apply for permanent visa as soon as u have woked for 12 months. Let me know what u find out will be interesting to know
Raven
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:05 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by raven
I am coming to aus in Nov on a sirs visa. I am under the assumption that u can buy when u want to, providing you have permision from your state. We are going to Queensland so maybe it is a little different there.I am also a little confused as to why it will take another 2 years for ur permanent visa if u have already been there 9 months.thought u can apply for permanent visa as soon as u have woked for 12 months. Let me know what u find out will be interesting to know
Raven
Hi, that's interesting. We were under the impression that we had to live here for 3 years in total but could apply for PR after 2. One of the conditions of the visa is also that my husband (he is the main visa holder) works for 12 months within the occupation he was accepted on. I will investigate further!!! It would be brilliant if that were the case as we could then apply for PR early next year.

Thanks, Sandra
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:20 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

Raven
I just checked it out:

Stage Two: Applying for a Permanent Residency Visa
While holding a SIR (Provisional) visa, you must have:
• Resided in an area of WA outside the Perth metropolitan area for at
least two years AND
• Been employed in regional Australia for a minimum of one year.
You can then apply for one of the following two visas:
• Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
• State/Territory Nominated Independent scheme

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SJR
I just checked it out:

Stage Two: Applying for a Permanent Residency Visa
While holding a SIR (Provisional) visa, you must have:
• Resided in an area of WA outside the Perth metropolitan area for at
least two years AND
• Been employed in regional Australia for a minimum of one year.
You can then apply for one of the following two visas:
• Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
• State/Territory Nominated Independent scheme

Imust look into this further i was under the impression that after you had done your two years u could apply for a permanent visa
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Imust look into this further i was under the impression that after you had done your two years u could apply for a permanent visa
So u are saying that even after 2 years you are still commited to living in a regoinal area
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

we bought a house within 3 days of arriving. Mortgage no problem.
You just down load the forms from the FIRB and give them to your real estate agent and he does the rest. we got approval in 7 days.
We have since bought another property, the only stipulation was that it had to be a new build as we already have a dwelling. FIRB approval again within 7 days.
We havent encountered any problems at all with buying houses or securing a mortgage on an SIR visa.
Only have 4 months left before we apply for PR, the last 20 months have flown by

Nick
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So u are saying that even after 2 years you are still commited to living in a regoinal area
For another 2 or so years in most cases.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

The_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: SIR Visa and mortgage

Originally Posted by SJR
Hi

Thanks,
Sandra
We have been in Adelaide on a SIR Visa for 9 months now and are just in the process of buying a house. FIRB can be applied for via www.firb.gov.au and is really simple - you have to find the house first though. The only problems we've encountered with getting a mortgage is that because we are temporary residents, we cannot borrow more than 80% because anymore than 80% requires mortgage insurance which the insurance companies won't give because you're temporary! So, buy a house that won't cost you more than an 80% mortgage and you can pretty much go to any high street bank in OZ.

Re the Visa/residency status... within the first 2 years you have to have had a full 12 months of employment in ANY job - you just need to prove that you've been working. Then you can apply for a PR after 2 years and if you get it, I believe you have to agree to stay in a regional area for another 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Martine, Adam & Jacob

P.S - we love it here!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:31 am
SJR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_Stockwells
We have been in Adelaide on a SIR Visa for 9 months now and are just in the process of buying a house. FIRB can be applied for via www.firb.gov.au and is really simple - you have to find the house first though. The only problems we've encountered with getting a mortgage is that because we are temporary residents, we cannot borrow more than 80% because anymore than 80% requires mortgage insurance which the insurance companies won't give because you're temporary! So, buy a house that won't cost you more than an 80% mortgage and you can pretty much go to any high street bank in OZ.

Re the Visa/residency status... within the first 2 years you have to have had a full 12 months of employment in ANY job - you just need to prove that you've been working. Then you can apply for a PR after 2 years and if you get it, I believe you have to agree to stay in a regional area for another 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Martine, Adam & Jacob

P.S - we love it here!
Thanks for that. You must have landed around the same time as us as we've been here 9 months too. Landed New Years Day in Perth and are living in Albany.

We love it too!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Stockwells

Hope this helps.

Martine, Adam & Jacob

P.S - we love it here!
A wee bit clearer. How does it work if wife (hairdresser) is primary applicant but I'm main earner (welder) as wages pay more. She wants to work but children come first. Does she still have to show a years work.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:19 am
SJR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac
A wee bit clearer. How does it work if wife (hairdresser) is primary applicant but I'm main earner (welder) as wages pay more. She wants to work but children come first. Does she still have to show a years work.
Hi, the conditions that I was stating were for the SIR visa....is that the visa you are on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.