single and moving

single and moving

Old Dec 1st 2007, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

samsheffield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single and moving

Hi
ll hope everyone is having a nice time.
l am planning to come out in the next few months. l am doing the trip which l hopefully see as pernament on my own.
Mid thirties single female and working as a nurse l have the option of cairns or the gold coast currently as a job offer.
l am sporty and sociable like the whole beach lifestyle but also dance classes tennis and the like.l would like as l am on my own to be in a place wheres there is the potential to get to know other long time stayers too about my age.
Any thoughts on the options?
Cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:35 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: single and moving

Originally Posted by samsheffield
Hi
l am planning to come out in the next few months. l am doing the trip which l hopefully see as pernament on my own.
Mid thirties single female and working as a nurse l have the option of cairns or the gold coast currently as a job offer.
l am sporty and sociable like the whole beach lifestyle but also dance classes tennis and the like.l would like as l am on my own to be in a place wheres there is the potential to get to know other long time stayers too about my age.
Cheers
It sound like you could be right at home on the Gold Coast
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

cookem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Cheers
Im a mid thirties bloke. I am in Brisbane and have been here for about 7 weeks now. If you want to go for a few beers and a bit of clubbing when you get here, let me know.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Hi sam I'm going to be in the same boat as you I'm early 30's and heading out on my own not a 100% sure where I'll be settling (most likely mornington area of victoria due to having family there) but if you fancy chatting feel free to PM me
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:08 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sam, I'm 72 & horny as hell if you wanna chat pm me.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Cheers
The gold coast should be more suited to you as there are plenty of young families around that area. There are also lots of beaches for surf and swim and plenty on around you.

Cairns is a small town. Its a great place but the beaches are mostly no no's all year due to crocs and box jellyfish. Great for barrier reef and far north but from my experience of being from a city and coming to a small town(i live in nelson bay) its a huge culture shock. Cairns is also pretty humid which is also a consideration. You are supposed to get over it, but i think everything smells damp and you washing never seems to dry(in my experience of being there)

For outdoor pursuits you cant beat the place, and i love cairns dont get me wrong, i just couldnt live there. It would be like moving to royston vasey.

If you get chance then id go for brisbane as there should be more choice in the future for your lad too.

Where i am in nelson bay, its beautiful but i feel the people have a real insular way of looking at things which stands in the way of progress. They want tourists money but dont want a bar open after 9pm for the locals adn complain about parking etc all weekend when the sydneysider come up.

The kids from 9-19 have nothing to do round here except surf of fish and one skate ramp. Half of them just hang around bored and dure to this just go and make their own fun which generally means breaking something or defacing. Herein lies the problem, its not the youths but the lack of things to do for them.

I work in a barbers shop here and nobody i have asked has any ambition. Its definately not the sort of place i want to bring a kid up over the age of 10. Up to 10 perfect as they can have fun with their parents and dont have many gangster tendancies, but when it comes time to get into anything serious like thinking and working for the future then there is nothing round here but casual labour in the summer.

Its the one thing we have thoiught about for our child to be. Thats one of the reasons we are off to melbourne. The other is cause it gives us choice. Choice of jobs, careers, and more than one place to buy a fridge or a sofa

Living round here you get to travel over an hour each way for a decent meal, to buy a car, to buy a hoover, anything. In bretween us and these things is nothing.

Dont get me wrong its beautiful and the people are friendly but it would be good for a week, not a life.

Really take time and do your own research and if you can have a trip over to see both then do it, even if its on your own as being in the wrong place can be draining to the soul. Only you can tell you what you like and need but out of the 2 id say Brisbane any day. If you had the choice id say melbourne though but thats my opinion on my research from going all up the east coast from syd to cairns via bris.

Good luck, i hope this helps a little.

Last edited by Mr Anderson; Dec 2nd 2007 at 11:32 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:31 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Cheers
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum!

Personally you'd have to pay me to live on the Gold Coast. There's only one option IMHO and that's Cairns.

I'm a nurse too and came here on my own. Have you got a job offer at the Base?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:53 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

hey sweetie,

there are a few of us who meet up from and around sheffield. will let you know when the next meet is, if you want.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum!

Personally you'd have to pay me to live on the Gold Coast. There's only one option IMHO and that's Cairns.

Thanks to all for responding.ln particular the nurse at the base that was interesting.Have you settled okay?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks to all who responded really appreciate it. lt made interesting reading.
ln particular it was interesting to hear from a nurse at the base hospital have you settled okay are there folk around my sort of age you can get to know!
Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who responded really appreciate it. lt made interesting reading.
ln particular it was interesting to hear from a nurse at the base hospital have you settled okay are there folk around my sort of age you can get to know!
Thanks
Hi Sam,

There's heaps of young, and not so young folks here in Cairns. Loads of pommy nurses at the Base too: I work on the mental health unit. I'd say it took more than 5 months to even begin to feel settled here. I'm starting to feel more normal now! It took the wind out of my sails for a while and my health was poor (more by coincidence than anything else). You need to stick with it when you make the move; many folks take a year or more to settle and I reckon it's harder coming here on your own.

The heat and humidity is one of the things I've adapted to quickest: I love it!

There's a fair bit to do in and around Cairns and beautiful countryside to explore with tropical rainforest cloaking the hills and mountains that rise steeply at the edge of the city.

It's not a typical part of Aus and the beaches aren't the best if that's your thing, but you can wear shorts year round and there are no bush flies; a big plus IMHO.

What type of nursing do you do?

Last edited by tonyk38; Dec 2nd 2007 at 3:07 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

cas3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Sam,
I too am single..40's but i'm heading to Adelaide..any other singletons heading that way?

Cas