Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore-things to do?

Singapore-things to do?

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:19 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Singapore-things to do?

We are off to validate our visas in March 2006 but have a day to kill in Singapore and would like to ask all of you lovely people on this forum who have been to Singapore, what are the best things to do during our 12 hour stay there.

Just to let you know that we have three children with us aged 15, 12 and 5. we land in the morning at around 07:00 and catch our connecting flight in the evening at around 22:00.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Trish, Rob and kids
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:48 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Singapore-things to do?

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
We are off to validate our visas in March 2006 but have a day to kill in Singapore and would like to ask all of you lovely people on this forum who have been to Singapore, what are the best things to do during our 12 hour stay there.

Just to let you know that we have three children with us aged 15, 12 and 5. we land in the morning at around 07:00 and catch our connecting flight in the evening at around 22:00.

Trish, Rob and kids
The absolute best thing in Singapore is the night time safari (imo) unfortunatley judging by your times you will miss out on that, I think you will be pushing it.

I would suggest a nice lunch by the river and a boat ride, at least you get to see the heart of Singapore in a short time. Then check out the shops for some nice cheap electrical goods.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

tooter is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check out the shops and go to the zoo for a few hours as its absolutely fantastic. I would then rent a room in the hotel in the airport for a few hours where I would grab a few hours sleep, then have a swim in the pool and relax for a while. Then if there was still enough time I would go and watch a movie in the free movie theatre in the airport before catching my flight
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 8:04 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Trish, Rob and kids
Agreed, the zoo is absolutely amazing - as is the shopping...or take a boat, chill out, have lunch on clark's quay, take a stroll to raffles...?? It's a great place..shame you haven't got longer..
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Singapore-things to do?

Trish, Rob and kids [/QUOTE]

Depending on how you all feel after the long flight I would either suggest booking a bus tour, you can book this in the airport upon arrival and you will get to see most of the "must see" places in Singapore. If the last thing you might fell like doing is to sit down in a bus, then I would suggest my personal favourite: Going to the East coast to chill out by the beach (avoid lunch time - just too hot). Perhaps go to a nice restaurant, and spend the evening eating great seafood and relaxing outdoors before going back to the airport. There are lots of nice outdoors restaurants there, just jump in a taxi, and ask the driver to take you to the East-Coast. Enjoy your holiday by the way!
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MummyKarin
Trish, Rob and kids
Depending on how you all feel after the long flight I would either suggest booking a bus tour, you can book this in the airport upon arrival and you will get to see most of the "must see" places in Singapore. If the last thing you might fell like doing is to sit down in a bus, then I would suggest my personal favourite: Going to the East coast to chill out by the beach (avoid lunch time - just too hot). Perhaps go to a nice restaurant, and spend the evening eating great seafood and relaxing outdoors before going back to the airport. There are lots of nice outdoors restaurants there, just jump in a taxi, and ask the driver to take you to the East-Coast. Enjoy your holiday by the way![/QUOTE]
Firstly i would not take any drugs. In the airport there is a roof top swimming pool and plenty of computers with free access. Get some rest would be a good suggestion hoping it takes the sting out of the jet lag
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

go to www.changi.airport.com.sg

click on transit and that'll give you details of everything that's available in the airport and suggested itinaries for the length of your transit time.

i had a 8 hour stopover this time last year and as i'd already had a bit of a holiday in singapore on my first stop over i didn't leave the airport....

didn't want to fork out the money for the transit hotel (since i'd just spent loads in the duty free! heheheh) so i paid the S$30 (for 5 hours) for the transit lounge (nexus). all you can eat nibbles and free drinks (inc beer i believe), papers to read, and showers and you can also pay extra for gym facilities.

there is a kids playground which i think goes up to age 12, the explorers lounge is good for a visit, and for the ladies there's loads of hair dressing and nail type stuff going on!

oh and i can't recommend enough that you pay money for a massage..... possibly the best thing ever after a LHR - SIN flight!

f
x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 1:38 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Trish, Rob and kids
hi rob n co.

Singapore airport are doing free tripsfor passengers mpore than 6-7 hr wait.
A trave agent told me this in byron as we were trying to exchange our tickets so that we had 2hrs stop instead of 8 going home a week ago. they do free tours of markets and shopping areas and ittle india etc.

Then when youy get back to aitport you get choice of free shower or food vouchers.

Not bad and its all free to boost tourism to downtown sing.

Enjoy

alk
Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Attend a hanging?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Shop...shop...shop.... eat and then shop some more...it's amazing..

We stayed 3 nights and loved it, we did go to the Zoo too which was fab, we have a 4 year old and 18 month old they were totally entertained by the great animals, we even watched a Bollywood film being made... great fun!

Julie
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

Trish, Rob and kids
Don't have 400g of drugs about your person!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

We did the night safari and it was brilliant.

We also had a fantastic time at Sentosa Island... There is heaps to do here including petting dolphins. You also have the musical fountains, Fort Siloso which is full of bunkers, cannons and underground passageways. There is under water world and the butterfly park. Fantasy Island is here which is Asia's largest water theme park, it was closed when we went but friends have said it is well worth the visit. There is also Volcanoland which again I haven't done yet. We are definitely spending 10 days there next time ;-}

Our inlaws said the China Town was brilliant and it is well known that the shopping in Singapore is the cheapest!!! If you need a Xbox or anything here is the place to go!

Good luck!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Trish, Rob and kids
The zoo is really good fun and the kids will love it. A trip here would take up a big chunk of your day and I think you'd be hard pushed to fit it in with shopping too.
I don't think the shopping is that cheap in Singapore anymore and beware the cheap deals in Chinatown (the vendors can't really deliver on the prices they quote, they scam people with the "that one is out of stock but this one is much better and the same price" trick). There are good deals to be had though.
Orchard Rd is the best area for western style shopping with huge malls, every bit as good as London or NY but the prices are not dissimilar either (about the same as US prices I'd say.
There are loads of really good restaurants along the river but expect to pay at London prices. Chinatown is cheaper for food and more Asian style.