Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore or Malaysia Airlines

Singapore or Malaysia Airlines

Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

dedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the rough
Default Singapore or Malaysia Airlines

Hi Guys

Just wondering if some of you have experienced both airlines and which is better to fly economy. Their prices are pretty much the same for us, just stopping over in Singapore for the one and Kuala Lumpur for the other. Wait is about 3-5 hours for connecting flight. Also need to way up at which airport we'd like to walk about.

We don't have any kids.

Cheers
Dedrei
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Re: Singapore or Malaysia Airlines

Hi there,
Never flown Singapore airlines so can't comment! Flew Malaysian last year and they were excellent! I think you tend to get better service from Asian based companies from my experience flying Qantas, Ba etc etc. Have a good one either way!
Dan
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

we flew with s.a in april could not fault them

we did have kids as well and they were really good with them so sa gets the from me.

agree with the above comments thou asian airlines all seem to be good much better than ba etc
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:54 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a choice I would go Sinapore even though I understand the seats on Malaysian are bigger.

Just come back with Malaysian and experienced the following:

Went to check in with OH on way to LHR and told that they were expecting us as they did not have our allocated seats and that we would have to go to customer services. Managed to get seats together but on the Melb to KL leg the TV's didn't work (not such a problem as it was a midnight flight) but then on the KL to LHR leg we were sat in the worst seats in BC at the bottom of the steps leading upstairs and right next to the gallery. After take off they pulled the curtains across to separate BC from economy and around the galley leaving us almost wrapped in curtains. You then get all the noise and traffic and they are cold.

On way back I was going to Langkawi with a friend from the Uk and OH was staying in the UK for another week or so and meeting us in KL. Anyway I called Malaysian at 11.30 am on the day I was going to fly to see if my friend could come into the business lounge. He wanted details of my booking and then told me that I wasn't on the flight and that my seat had been cancelled! I explained to him that this was not the case and that I had a ticket. After much tooing and froing he said he would call me back.

Got a call from Malaysian in Adelaide to say that my seat had been cancelled by Trailfinders and that there was nothing they could do as the flight was full and the next BC seat they could get me on was in 5 days. I explained to him that I had to be on the flight or they would have to fly me with another airline as I was going on holiday with a friend. Again he wouldn't budge. It was only after I said that my OH worked for a large paper that he said he would see what he could do and call me back.

He then called me back (this is about 2.30 pm) and said that he had managed to get me a seat - We then went to the airport early to check in and guess what? No seat! Again had to go through a lot of tooing and froing before they let me on. They did however let my friend in the lounge after saying that they wouldn't and we managed to sup quite a few champagnes before boarding

NB Contacted Trailfinders once we got back and they know nothing about a cancelled flight and are taking the matter up with Malaysian.

Ps Also a lot of Malaysian flights are running late at the moment - not sure why but this was confirmed by a guy we met in KL, who worked for the airport, and who said that the past month for them had been a nightmare!

Last edited by Vanessa; Aug 14th 2007 at 8:56 am.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

mad scots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dedrei
Hi Guys

Just wondering if some of you have experienced both airlines and which is better to fly economy. Their prices are pretty much the same for us, just stopping over in Singapore for the one and Kuala Lumpur for the other. Wait is about 3-5 hours for connecting flight. Also need to way up at which airport we'd like to walk about.

We don't have any kids.

Cheers
Dedrei
OH company has booked our flights through Malaysian airlines, so hopefully they are good. OH flew via singapore last time with Quantas, and singapore airport is good, though i have heard Kuala Lumpur airport is excellent too.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough

Malaysia Airlines are rumoured to have greater seat pitch in economy 34'' to 32'' but it depends on the aircraft type.

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/intl_economy.php
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Malaysian in April and they were perfect, I couldn't fault them.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
We flew Malaysian in April and they were perfect, I couldn't fault them.
Wasn't too rapt with Malaysian Airlines last year. flew Perth - KL - Manila - KL - Perth; and at best the rating was ordinary.

They couldn't even sit me and the wife and one of our sons together; that was a problem in itself as I am diabetic and it's reassuring to know the missis is next to me should I come into lumber as she knows what to do in the event of an emergency?

Very ordinary last time around....... but have flown with them on dozens of occasions when joining the rig in Asia............ and previously they have been okay?

This time round the hosties were surly, very lazy with a couldn't care less attitude. Needless to say on a recent Perth - UK - Perth trip we avoided MA like the plague.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:21 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Flew S.A they were fantastic airport is great to has great facilities, restaurants and shops.

Have heard Singapore has swimming pool on roof didn't get to see that bit but the bar with the comfy settees was Have only heard good things about S.A but I bet someone will come on and prove me wrong.

kaye
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
Flew S.A they were fantastic airport is great to has great facilities, restaurants and shops.

Have heard Singapore has swimming pool on roof didn't get to see that bit but the bar with the comfy settees was Have only heard good things about S.A but I bet someone will come on and prove me wrong.

kaye

................on the roof of the plane?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:01 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
................on the roof of the plane?
In the airport.......... but you knew that didnt you
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wardy2
In the airport.......... but you knew that didnt you
Just wanted to say if you are going one way dont forget you get 40kg with s.a if first trip on visa.

dont think m.a offers this amount of baggage.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

sparklebelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't flown with either airline but have heard (and seen on the airport website) that if you have a wait of 4 hours or more at Singapore airport, you can get a free bus trip of the city, so that might be worth investigating. I heard about this on one of the holiday progs in the UK and have also looked at the Singapore Airport website. Not sure if this would make any difference to you, but thought it worth a mention. Not having flown with either airline before it is hard to make a decision, but I think I would have a serious look at the legroom available as well. Hope this helps a bit.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

fontii will become famous soon enough

I travelled with SA last time I went to Aus and I was well impressed.

They had a whole host of dvds to watch / music to listen to / video games to play all in the headrest in front of you. Leg room was pretty good as i'm tall. It seemed to always be for every 3 seats there would be two people. The hostesses were great providing drinks / snacks whenever you want. Also the airport itself is great if you have to be there for a while as there is loads to do including shower facilities. However the city centre is only a close train journey away too.

I'm looking for a one way flight at the mo from manchester and malaysia dont appear to fly from there, quantas fly to london first and emirates stopover in dubai.
I'm just gonna book SA again I reckon. The free Tiger beer does it for me really.

Andy
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:29 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Both airlines are very good. Malaysian do however offer slightly bigger economy leg room which when considering a couple of long haul back to back flights I would say every inch counts....as everything in life

The equipment used to fly the LHR -> SYD and BNE route is a newer plane and the entertainment systems are very good on demand systems.

Flown both heaps and I prefer KIA airport over Singapore. The facilities are a lot better and do try the massage place next to the terminal train station in the main building. Its a very, very cheap way to enjoy an hour of massage to help unwind and grab a shower between flights.

Consider in KIA as well the premium plaza lounge. You pay for it but has free food and drink and it much better than the one at Singapore.

Ah I did forget to say however, that one thing the Malaysian flight has if flying to BNE is that it stops in SYD for 1 hour when you get off, clear immigration and then up to BNE on the same plane. This can make the journey slightly longer but you dont have to do the whole baggage thing on the stop and collect that at BNE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.