Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From Singapore with love...via Derby UK

From Singapore with love...via Derby UK

Old Apr 10th 2017, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Singapore with love...via Derby UK

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
"Sydney is a boring dump compared to Singapore"

Are you sure Astera?

For a family with young kids, I would say Sydney has the edge. I think my kids would find it more exciting - it's a more down to earth, natural environment with less 'expatiness'. Kids don't care about cocktail bars or which hedge funds their friends' dads manage - they want space, grass, dirt and beaches.

I'm not knocking Singapore (I love it!) - it's glamorous, efficient and much 'easier' than other Asian cities but for a family with young kids, I'd say it's the boring option (my husband doesn't think it comes close to Hong Kong).
He only says that because he wanted water views and he could only afford that on the Gold Coast. He's very passionate about the places he has chosen to live in. Bit of a football team supporter mentality.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So, Filmguy, are we helping?
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:21 am
Just Joined

GreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond repute

Filmguy - you mentioned you are in Marketing & PR but didn't state which industry experience you have/had the job offer in?

I live in Singapore now and used to live in Sydney though about 5yrs+ ago, with a background in PR/marketing and worked there. I don't know if anyone told you, but on top of the $5k/child, healthcare and higher tax, Australians often get a standard annual leave of around 20 days a year (plus public holidays of course). Now the thing is, this has to be accrued before you can take it. ie. Unlike the UK, you can't come back from one holiday and then just book another week off next month because you want to. You have to ensure you have enough days rolled over, which can throw a spanner in the works for travelling, particularly long-distances like the UK to family etc. It works well for Aussies as they will roll A/L over for 2-3yrs and then book a few months off to go to Europe etc.

I freelance contracted for that reason (as I wanted to travel). Work was easy to pick up because the mining boom meant a buoyant market and the locals were probably lured by WA Mining Comms jobs. I've only just arrived in Singapore but I see a lot of similarity with Sydney, I'd be surprised if the market there also hasn't tightened considerably (ie. The then Labor govt closed foreigner tax loopholes when I was there) alike to Singapore. I understand salaries have tailed off whilst rent has continued to rocket upwards. I was out on the now tarnished and scrapped 457 visa (via a genuinely highly skilled partner) and our household salary was high so we were comfortable. Though with kids/mortgage, we would have had to go much further out if we had stayed (interest rates were higher then the UK, renovation and tradie costs are far more expensive etc).

I don't know what you mean about Australia's 'openness?' Australian immigration is/was rigorous, you just can't choose a visa and expect to eventually turn up there. I would be very surprised if a company offered sponsorship without market testing etc. Many Brits with PR experience had to work as recruitment agents to get sponsored and I can't recall that many Brits/non-Aussies at industry networking events. Like Singapore, don't naturally assume your partner would 'just pick up' a job, culturally both are very different from the pre-Brexit UK/Europe.

I really don't want to sound rude, turning the screws etc but even from the viewpoint of coming from London (with in-demand London work experience etc) Sydney was pretty expensive. As I have commented to Kooky on another thread, I would say more than Singapore as there are no hawker centres and Aussie shops and supermarkets do 'rort' you - this is the country where 'price gauging' is also in the lexicon! Melbourne is not much different though much slower, less jobs....I'm afraid £180k equity wouldn't stretch you far in either city, you may as well half that to get a sense of house prices, rentals inc.

Unlike Singapore, Sydney's transport is somewhat constrained by it's harbour shape. So yes you can live further out, but you will have a long commute and will not be anywhere (up 50km) near a beach. Sure you would get a house with a pool, but you might need a car (not as pricey as Sin but more than the UK) to get a pint of milk, as a British friend once told me. Her and her two toddlers lasted about 3months in 'the suburbs' baking in the heat and bored, until her husband had to move them to much pricier Sydney city (they could only afford one car which he needed for work). Even though she had instigated the move, the sheer distance from home etc made her reality of raising 2 kids there on one income quite weary about her initial dream.

Differences between Sydney and Singapore: Singapore is much buzzier in lifestyle but yes of course, it's Sydney's beaches. Singapore feels 'artsier' though both are comparable when compared to the UK (Sydney is an outdoor city). Singapore is more work hard/play hard (ie. social/partying) whilst Sydney is work/life balance (ie. surf, sports, outdoors). Sydney restaurants can clear out by 9pm in neighbourhoods as can social BBQs (daytime mainly). If you found COL high in Singapore, it won't actually be much different in Sydney - you'll instead be spending on different things.

To some other comments:
I take issue with Singapore 'being boring' and negative stereotypes of Asians. They are not 'dull,' they are different from Westerners, yes their values differ. I riles me how many Westerners yep Brits esp. think Asia is supposed to be ie. a bit poor, smiley and inferior? I think people get a shock when they realise Singapore just trounces the standard of living in countries like the UK, France etc and actually, yep just being white alone won't get you a higher salary or red carpet. Asian culture is different - both Chinese and Indian (and Malay) cultures place a high value on education and work ethic, which explains the Singaporean mindset and things westerners take issue with. Try to get to understand Singapore's context and history. Note this is an ex-colonial outpost actually built on the British exporting cheap migrant labour (as they did everywhere) and rapidly developing from Jungle Kampongs within less than 50yrs. I've haven't been around long but it's amazes me how many British people are walking around with this colonial mentality looking for problems to criticise, not really actually thinking whether 'home' is any better or attempting to get to know the local culture, and then complaining they are bored!
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic post Greenwich Cat, very even handed and informative. It was a pleasure to read, thanks!