Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore baggage allowance

Wikiposts

Singapore baggage allowance

Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:58 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Singapore baggage allowance

Sods at Singapore airline won't give me the 40kgs because i have a prospective resident VISA (my wife is aussie), not a permenant resident visa.

Does'nt seem to matter that i am migrating like anyone else

A tad annoying !!
Old Aug 15th 2003, 12:27 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default allowance

Hi pete...we are going through the same im an aussie returning with my 4 kids and they are going on their australian passports ( dual nationality ) so they wont get double either, but my husband is british and travelling on a british passport we are going back for good but was is that visa you wee on about, prospective resident was it? i havent heard of this b4 and would that apply for my husband? he has a job to go to on arrival...
let me know
cheers
Old Aug 15th 2003, 12:28 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING...I HOPE YOU DONT WEE ON A VISA BUT I BET SOME OF YOU WISH YOU COULD..:scared:
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Singapore baggage allowance

Originally posted by PeteY
Sods at Singapore airline won't give me the 40kgs because i have a prospective resident VISA (my wife is aussie), not a permenant resident visa.

Does'nt seem to matter that i am migrating like anyone else

A tad annoying !!

Likewise here, I'm an aussie so I don't qualify but hubby has his spouse visa and still Singapore won't let him increase his baggage allowance although, from Florida, the regular allowance is 140 pounds per person plus one piece of hand luggage so I think I'll use my 140 on shoes and hubby can take the rest in his case, hahaha!!!!

We fly out on Nov 12th - yikes!!

Good luck to you
Wannabe Wallaby
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Aussie too and hubby's spouse visa says:

"Class BC Resident P640 Sub Class 100
Conditions Mig Regs Sched 8
Initial entry by 17 Jan 04
Granted 18 Jul 03. Must not arrive after 18 Jul 08. Multiple travel. Holder permitted to remain in Aust indefinitely"

I don't know anything about visa classes - does anyone have the same as this and did they get the baggage allowance?

Last time I sponsored hubby 10 years ago he got a different visa:

"Class 100 Resident P000
Conditions Mig Regs Sched 9
9205 - Not to make initial entry ahead of me"
Same rules - one year for initial entry, 5 years multiple return travel.

Don't understand this. Seems he doesn't need me anymore to go to Australia...
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

My understanding of it is that it is only applicable to anyone holding an unused migrant visa, this only used to be available on special migrant fares but now it appears to be offered on the lower priced one way tickets. This is a favour granted to first time migrant by the airlines, they are not duty bound to offer it infact many airlines don't. It was originally set up to help people who were moving to australia in the days where you didnt go out just to validate your visa as it cost to much but you went and took all your stuff with you and has remained that way ever since. I agree that times have changed and it would be helpful if it was offered to others but as i said it is still a "favour" from the airline, they could just make a packet charging you the excess baggage.

Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:07 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I have an Aussie passport but because I was flying on a one way ticket I was allowed extra baggage allowance with Singapore airlines, as was my husband on a spouse visa. I think it just depends on how they feel that day! You can also arrange with your travel agency to contact the airline beforehand and arrange the extra allowance.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Janeyray. Everybody's stories on this vary so it sounds like it's not fixed, as you say.

I expect you're more likely to get a friendly response in person at check in than via travel agent to Singapore's head office in London where they'll just go by the book. But I can't take the risk of turning up with too much stuff and being charged by Singapore 4 times what pre-arranged airfreight costs. I guess we could wheel a couple of cases down to Excess Baggage Co at Heathrow if we get caught out but we'd have to put things in them we didn't need for a week just in case. Seems too complicated with toddler terror in tow.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I have travelled a lot with various airlines and think that Singapore Airlines is a great airline. However, they are the only airline that has ever charged me excess. What happened to us was we were allowed on in Paris with all the excess but stopped in Singapore for a couple of days. When we checked in at Singapore they wanted excess and there was no way we were getting it on without paying. Needless to say we quickly put on all our winter clothes in the middle of summer to lighten the load, even though we were sweating like pigs. As someone mentioned get your travel agent to call Singapore and try and get a few kilos extra. If you think it is going to stress you worrying whether you are going to be over your allowance I would send it unaccompanied. Life is so much easier when you travel with a lighter load, makes for less arguments.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:01 am
Just Joined

dlm78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just experienced a similar deal with Singapore Airlines. I am travelling one way on a spouse migrant visa but having spoken to SA repeatedly on the phone, they stipulate that you must satisfy 2 rules:

1. Be travelling on visa for the first time
2. the words "remain indefinitely" be on the visa

Well the spouse migrant visa doesn't contain these words and so I couldn't get the double allowance. However, after 20 minutes of trying every ploy under the sun (including escalating the issue), my allowance was upped to 30kg from 20kg. Better than nothing I guess! Now, I'm scared of the excess fees as I WILL be over!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks dlm78. Sorry you could only get 30kg. My hubby's spouse visa does have the words "remain indefinitely" so I guess he might be OK for the full 40kg. Just as well as both me and toddler only get 20kg with Aussie passports!

I didn't realise until reading these threads that spouse visas could have different 'classes' or restrictions.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone - does anyone know if a two year work visa entitle the traveller to any extra baggage allowance?

thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lynnj
My understanding of it is that it is only applicable to anyone holding an unused migrant visa, this only used to be available on special migrant fares but now it appears to be offered on the lower priced one way tickets. This is a favour granted to first time migrant by the airlines, they are not duty bound to offer it infact many airlines don't. It was originally set up to help people who were moving to australia in the days where you didnt go out just to validate your visa as it cost to much but you went and took all your stuff with you and has remained that way ever since. I agree that times have changed and it would be helpful if it was offered to others but as i said it is still a "favour" from the airline, they could just make a packet charging you the excess baggage.

Lynn
The rates they charge make no sense either.One way ticket £535 with 40 kilos migrant baggage.Return flight 20 kilos and £640 quoted for 20 kilo extra baggage.one pasenger and 40 kilos cheaper by £105 quid than 1 20 kilo suitcase.I give up trying to make sense of it all.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi PeteY

can you explain the term: Prospective Resident Visa (do you have a number for the form to apply for it)!
How long did it take to be completed?

Thank you
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:46 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi PeteY

can you explain the term: Prospective Resident Visa (do you have a number for the form to apply for it)!
How long did it take to be completed?

Thank you
Hi,

Firstly.....i got the 30kgs too now, so its definatly worth asking for that, as it is better than nothing as was said earlier.

My Visa; Well, i would check, its upstairs somwhere thought, and im not sure where the wifes hidden it. She's out. Ill try to remember to ask her where it is when she gets in.

On the visa i think is was marked "prospective resisdent" or maybe it was temporary resident? Can't remember!! It was the standard spouse (married) visa that we obtained, and i guess it took about 4 months to obtain. Pretty expensive though, at about £550 including the meds, police checks etc.

Cheers

pete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.