Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines and infants..

Singapore airlines and infants..

Old May 27th 2005, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough
Default Singapore airlines and infants..

Hi Everyone,
We are planning on flying with Sing airlines in July. We have a little boy who will be two in Aug. We have been told that we cannot buy a seat for him by someone else who flew with them because you can only get seats for two year olds. Even if we are willing to pay. The thought of having him sat on my knee for the flight would be stifling. :scared: He is quite a big lad.
Is this true?
If so we are thinking of saying he IS two years ols just to get him the seat. Will they check? I know they check passports but would they really check his age?Any advice appreciated
Tracey.
Old May 27th 2005, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore airlines and infants..

Originally Posted by TraceyandPeter
Hi Everyone,
We are planning on flying with Sing airlines in July. We have a little boy who will be two in Aug. We have been told that we cannot buy a seat for him by someone else who flew with them because you can only get seats for two year olds. Even if we are willing to pay. The thought of having him sat on my knee for the flight would be stifling. :scared: He is quite a big lad.
Is this true?
If so we are thinking of saying he IS two years ols just to get him the seat. Will they check? I know they check passports but would they really check his age?Any advice appreciated
Tracey.
Yes, of course you can buy a seat for a baby - you can buy 10 seats for him, if you have the money.

Don't believe everything you hear. It's just that you dont have to buy a seat if they're under two.
Old May 27th 2005, 2:53 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,
Is this true?
Tracey.
I hope you can buy a seat too. Our lad will be 23 months when we go, and like you, the thought of him being on our lap for the whole flight it awful. Dan and I would be divorcing by the time we got there

I'm sure someone here will have the answer.
Old May 27th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yes, of course you can buy a seat for a baby - you can buy 10 seats for him, if you have the money.

Don't believe everything you hear. It's just that you dont have to buy a seat if they're under two.
Hi Nicky,
Thanks for that. I have just found a thread though that says if you go through the airline website it won't allow you to book a seat for a two year old. Maybe this is how the couple I spoke to did it.
I'll just book through someone else or go direct to the airline office.
Thanks
Tracey.
Old May 27th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicky,
Thanks for that. I have just found a thread though that says if you go through the airline website it won't allow you to book a seat for a two year old. Maybe this is how the couple I spoke to did it.
I'll just book through someone else or go direct to the airline office.
Thanks
Tracey.
There's another thread on here about taking babies' car seats - if you do that then you have to pay the childs fare (65 - 75%) in order to get a seat to put the babies car seat into.

And just to clarify - babies fares are usually 10% but they get no seat for that price.

We did take two kids (18 months and 3.5) to the UK once with Singapore airlines. Paid one baby fare and one kids fare. Actually managed quite well
with only three seats between four of us - it wasn't as bad as we expected.
Old May 27th 2005, 3:09 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone,
Is this true?
Tracey.
Hi Tracey,

We booked online for the two of us, then called up the airline and added on our 12 month old. There was no problem at all. Your young one will be given a bassinet/cot if necessary.

You'll pay a lot less for a child less than 2 years old I think. And you'll get a bulk head seat.

They were first rate, I would definitely rate them.

All the best and good luck with your new life in Aus.

Paul
Old May 27th 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Tracey,
We recently booked our tickets with Singapore airlines, and we have a 22 month old the time we fly. Did not want him on our laps, so decided to pay. tried booking with Singapore online and came up with same problem, as you cannot book seat for under 2, so i called them direct i London, number on their website, and they were great. told me to change his birth date online, so he would be 2 at time of flying, then ring them back with the booking reference and they then change it back for you. Have to book on line to get discount on air fare. There is no guarantee of bulk head seat with bassinet. Had long discussion with them on this, as we wanted to reserve seats. Priority is given on bulk head seats with bassinets on day of departure. they have limited seats with these facilities, and someone travelling with a very young baby will get priority. You may end up being split up as a family if you need a bassinet. mothers and babies in bulk hd seats, and fathers and other children somewhere else. Just have to hope on day of travel, they are free. I'm assuming your child will be too big for the bassinet anyway. We wanted the bulk head seats so the kids could sleep on floor in front of us.

You will need to ring Singapore and advise on children's menu's for flights. Also Buggy and car seat are not counted as part of baggage allowance.

Car seats are also an issue. Singapore require that if you want to bring your car seat on board , it must say in the user manual , that the car seat is approved to fly on airlines. You must have this user manual for your car seat, and take with you to airport checkin. If not they will not allow on plane.

Were hoping for the best when we fly, but may have to settle for 4 seats in a row, and hope we can get them to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Chris
Old May 27th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Hi Everyone,
Is this true?
Tracey.
We flew last sept with our 17 month old and book her a seat, when we booked online all we did was put she was 2 and when we got on board asked for a lap belt so then could be strapped in on my lap for take of and landing, did not have to advise the airline before.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
There is no guarantee of bulk head seat with bassinet. Had long discussion with them on this, as we wanted to reserve seats. Priority is given on bulk head seats with bassinets on day of departure. they have limited seats with these facilities, and someone travelling with a very young baby will get priority. You may end up being split up as a family if you need a bassinet. mothers and babies in bulk hd seats, and fathers and other children somewhere else. Just have to hope on day of travel, they are free. I'm assuming your child will be too big for the bassinet anyway.
This is probably true - most bassinet's are sized for infants, not toddlers. If your child is anywhere close to the "average" toddler size (whatever that is!) then they probably won't fit. When we flew in 2003 with our 18 month old daughter (who was below average height) she had a bassinet, but her feet stuck out 6 inches! She did manage to sleep in the bassinet which was nice, but the flight crew were a bit reluctant at first to let us use the bassinet due to the size issue.
We wanted the bulk head seats so the kids could sleep on floor in front of us.
I'm not sure if many airlines will allow this anymore. Certainly Qantas and all the US airlines I have travelled on recently do not allow children (or anyone else for that matter) to sleep anywhere but in their seat with their seat belt done up. I think it's a liability issue with turbulence.

Cheers,
Brian
Old May 28th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey,
We recently booked our tickets with Singapore airlines, and we have a 22 month old the time we fly. Did not want him on our laps, so decided to pay. tried booking with Singapore online and came up with same problem, as you cannot book seat for under 2, so i called them direct i London, number on their website, and they were great. told me to change his birth date online, so he would be 2 at time of flying, then ring them back with the booking reference and they then change it back for you. Have to book on line to get discount on air fare. There is no guarantee of bulk head seat with bassinet. Had long discussion with them on this, as we wanted to reserve seats. Priority is given on bulk head seats with bassinets on day of departure. they have limited seats with these facilities, and someone travelling with a very young baby will get priority. You may end up being split up as a family if you need a bassinet. mothers and babies in bulk hd seats, and fathers and other children somewhere else. Just have to hope on day of travel, they are free. I'm assuming your child will be too big for the bassinet anyway. We wanted the bulk head seats so the kids could sleep on floor in front of us.

You will need to ring Singapore and advise on children's menu's for flights. Also Buggy and car seat are not counted as part of baggage allowance.

Car seats are also an issue. Singapore require that if you want to bring your car seat on board , it must say in the user manual , that the car seat is approved to fly on airlines. You must have this user manual for your car seat, and take with you to airport checkin. If not they will not allow on plane.

Were hoping for the best when we fly, but may have to settle for 4 seats in a row, and hope we can get them to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Chris
A big thankyou to everyone for their help and advice in this matter, sending everyone karma.
Tracey
Old May 28th 2005, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey,

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Chris
Hi Chris,
Keep trying to give you some karma for your excellent post but it won't let me. Will try later.
Old May 28th 2005, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Hi Chris,
Keep trying to give you some karma for your excellent post but it won't let me. Will try later.
No worries. Just glad i could help in some way.

Chris
Old May 29th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road

Hi, we have spoken to Singapore London Office and was told we can book a seat for our 18mth old if we wanted. They did say that he would fit into a bassinet as he is small weight wise for his age. Again was told we could not book an infant online, just had to give them a ring with the reference no and they would book him on.

They also told us they do different levels of kids food ranging from baby through to child, sounds really good. Would love to hear about these bassinets as have never seen them before. I did ask how high they were as an 18mth old is obviously quite mobile and was unsure if they were low enough for them to climb out. Any info would be great.
Old May 29th 2005, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracey,

Chris
Just to add here, we brought our car seat and booster seat with us on Singapore Airlines, no user manual and no request for one either!

Food on the flight for the kids was pretty awful, they aren't that fussy as kids go but the stuff that was served up was diabolical for them. Thank goodnes we'd taken lots of extra food for them.
Old May 30th 2005, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough

Hi Everyone,
Is this true?
Tracey.
We have 3 children and flew singapore air and could not say enough how impressed we are by the way you get treated and how nice the cabin crew are to the children.Having flown Qantas and BA to oz we would now only fly with singapore air everytime(pocket willing).The flight was so much nicer and seemed to go quicker too.Good luck,and hope you have a good trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.