Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines - appalled

Singapore airlines - appalled

Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Singapore airlines - appalled

Hi there,

We fly back to the UK for a year in 2 weeks and booked flights with singapore airlines 2 months ago. Since the booking, I had to have a knee operation which I am successfully recovering from but has restricted my movement.

My surgeon has written a letter to the airline saying I am fit to fly but would need a seat with more legroom like a bulkhead.

A day on the phone with the airline has resulted in them refusing to reserve such a seat for me even with the provision of the letter, although they can't tell me why. The interactions were all with their indian call centre and some of the people we spoke to were so poor at english we just couldn't even explain to them what an operation is. We later found out a wheelchair has been booked even though I dont need one!

Manager phoned us today and said they understand my situation but wouldnt reserve such a seat for me. I just have to turn up at the airport and take my chances. It may be given instead to a points earner who requests it for no other reason than 'they want more room'.

We are totally appalled with this after booking them on their recommendation as the worlds best airline. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore airlines - appalled

If you spoke to a customer service operator in Singapore, would you be any more understanding of their non-British English accent? I doubt it.

They charge more for seats with extra legroom these days. They've probably been booked up for months.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
Hi there,

We fly back to the UK for a year in 2 weeks and booked flights with singapore airlines 2 months ago. Since the booking, I had to have a knee operation which I am successfully recovering from but has restricted my movement.

My surgeon has written a letter to the airline saying I am fit to fly but would need a seat with more legroom like a bulkhead.

A day on the phone with the airline has resulted in them refusing to reserve such a seat for me even with the provision of the letter, although they can't tell me why. The interactions were all with their indian call centre and some of the people we spoke to were so poor at english we just couldn't even explain to them what an operation is. We later found out a wheelchair has been booked even though I dont need one!

Manager phoned us today and said they understand my situation but wouldnt reserve such a seat for me. I just have to turn up at the airport and take my chances. It may be given instead to a points earner who requests it for no other reason than 'they want more room'.

We are totally appalled with this after booking them on their recommendation as the worlds best airline. Anyone have similar experiences?
My mum flys with Singapore Airlines every year when she comes out to Australia. Mum has had a fused knee replacement and also has rheumatoid arthiritis. Singapore Airlines have been the best by far she has ever flown with in regard to accomodating her needs. She can't pre - book a seat but always asks for a bulkhead or an aisle seat (so her bad knee is next to the aisle and can stretch it a bit). She often gets a bulkhead seat (complete with screaming babies ). Other times an aisle seat on the side of her choice. She is looked after from check in to arrivals hall via wheelchair (even though she is mobile with a stick) and generally gets through immigration more quickly because of this - all very streamlined. Help with baggage etc.
YOu can't have a seat next to or near to emergency exits because you have to be fit to operate them in an emergency.
Don't give up on Singapore Airlines just becasue you can't secure an exact seat prior to the day - this isn't possible for anyone so I believe.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seasider
If you spoke to a customer service operator in Singapore, would you be any more understanding of their non-British English accent? I doubt it.

They charge more for seats with extra legroom these days. They've probably been booked up for months.
I don't have a problem with a non-british accent, the problem is not knowing basic english words in a call centre servicing australia. Words like operation, extra room, and doctor needed to be explained until the situation became a comical communication standstill.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

It would also be because of safety. Exit row seats are extra leg room seats, however you must be fit and able bodied to assist in an emergency. You have restricted movement and a medical issue documented by a surgeon. All passengers flying in an exit row seat must be cleared to do so at check in even if they have booked it in advance and paid the premium for doing so, which you could of course do as well.

Bulk head seats, rather than exit row, themselves offer no more leg room and in fact I would recommend against them because they are basinette seating and used by passengers with babies.

Its actually fairly common to hear I'm afraid that passengers with medical conditions request extra legroom seats and get denied.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kitty4
My mum flys with Singapore Airlines every year when she comes out to Australia. Mum has had a fused knee replacement and also has rheumatoid arthiritis. Singapore Airlines have been the best by far she has ever flown with in regard to accomodating her needs. She can't pre - book a seat but always asks for a bulkhead or an aisle seat (so her bad knee is next to the aisle and can stretch it a bit). She often gets a bulkhead seat (complete with screaming babies ). Other times an aisle seat on the side of her choice. She is looked after from check in to arrivals hall via wheelchair (even though she is mobile with a stick) and generally gets through immigration more quickly because of this - all very streamlined. Help with baggage etc.
YOu can't have a seat next to or near to emergency exits because you have to be fit to operate them in an emergency.
Don't give up on Singapore Airlines just becasue you can't secure an exact seat prior to the day - this isn't possible for anyone so I believe.
Thanks Kitty. Good to hear your Mum is looked after. My problem is I don't understand why they can't reserve me (or your Mum) a bulkhead seat. If you have a certified letter from a surgeon, why don't they just put one of these seats aside fo you. You can pay for an emergency exit seat today for my flight so they must have a seat plan that can take passenger names.

The only explanation we can think of is that they want to keep them incase a high points earner or regular customer wants one.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
It would also be because of safety. Exit row seats are extra leg room seats, however you must be fit and able bodied to assist in an emergency. You have restricted movement and a medical issue documented by a surgeon. All passengers flying in an exit row seat must be cleared to do so at check in even if they have booked it in advance and paid the premium for doing so, which you could of course do as well.

Bulk head seats, rather than exit row, themselves offer no more leg room and in fact I would recommend against them because they are basinette seating and used by passengers with babies.

Its actually fairly common to hear I'm afraid that passengers with medical conditions request extra legroom seats and get denied.
Thanks. They wont give me emergency seat which I understand, due to being not fully able to operate the door. They have around 20 bulkhead seats and wont hold one for me. I find that poor given they have access to a written letter from my surgeon. I'm not just saying 'I'm tall, can I have one of those seats'.

It may come to the situation where I am denied one on the day and then cant physically sit down where i am seated which would be a nightmare.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Kitty. Good to hear your Mum is looked after. My problem is I don't understand why they can't reserve me (or your Mum) a bulkhead seat. If you have a certified letter from a surgeon, why don't they just put one of these seats aside fo you. You can pay for an emergency exit seat today for my flight so they must have a seat plan that can take passenger names.

The only explanation we can think of is that they want to keep them incase a high points earner or regular customer wants one.
Because bulk-head seats are normally for families with children under 2 so they have the bassinet. They take priority for these seats.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Its usually infants who get the bulkhead areas first so I suppose any left over would go to your mum. I have known flights that don't even have enough seats for infants so she would have to hope for the best.
Bassinets are only operational in the bulkhead areas.
Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you are just ging to have to check in early & hope for the best.
Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:01 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem with a non-british accent, the problem is not knowing basic english words in a call centre servicing australia. Words like operation, extra room, and doctor needed to be explained until the situation became a comical communication standstill.
sounds like you spoke to the optus help line
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
sounds like you spoke to the optus help line
Optus have a helpline????
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Singapore airlines - appalled

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Yes, they introduced this service after it became clear that they weren't infuriating their customers efficiently.

Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:28 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
yep its run by a team of gary`s
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steve`o
yep its run by a team of gary`s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.