Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines 777 fleet

Singapore Airlines 777 fleet

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

dazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura about
Default Singapore Airlines 777 fleet

I have just booked to fly to Perth in December from Manchester and am surprised and worried to see that we won't be flying 747 but on a 777 all the way. I am a little worried as I have heard this is a smaller plane.

My hubby wants to know if it has all the entertainment stuff (especially tv's in back of seats).

Has anyone flown 777 and could let me know their experiences?
Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Singapore Airlines 777 fleet

Originally Posted by dazandreb
I have just booked to fly to Perth in December from Manchester and am surprised and worried to see that we won't be flying 747 but on a 777 all the way. I am a little worried as I have heard this is a smaller plane.

My hubby wants to know if it has all the entertainment stuff (especially tv's in back of seats).

Thanks
Hi
The 777 is a great aircraft.
You get all the same facilties as the 747 and more. It is smaller but you don't notice it really.

The TVs in the seats are there although the specification of onboard entertainment is down to the airline itself.

Singapore are great....you'll have a range of entertainment in the seat back.

have an enjoyable flight
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:46 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stewie
Hi
The 777 is a great aircraft.
You get all the same facilties as the 747 and more. It is smaller but you don't notice it really.

The TVs in the seats are there although the specification of onboard entertainment is down to the airline itself.

Singapore are great....you'll have a range of entertainment in the seat back.

have an enjoyable flight

They are the best planes in the sky, and I would prefer one over a jumbo any day! Much quieter than a jumbo too. They have a great safety record.
(sorry, bit of an anorak!)
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

They're also faster
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

dazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies. I feel much better now, can't say I am looking forward to it as our kids are 5 yrs and 20 months so it will be a long trip! Hubby will be happy about tv screens
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Singapore usually fly a 747 from Manchester and then the 777 is often used on the onward flight.
There is more room on SA 777s so you have nothing to worry about.
They are more modern and more comfortable.

The only real problem is that they usually stop in Amsterdam or Mumbai on the Manchester flights.

G
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
We preferred the Singapore B777 to their B747 Megatop. More space (we had a bulkhead seat though) & generally more comfortable. It had the seatback entertainment system, but not the video on demand featured on the B747.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:18 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

We have just got off a 747 and 777. The 747 did make a stop in Zurich, the tv had loads of channels, which you could pause, stop, rewind etc. We found it very comfortable the 777 did not have the option to pause programs you just had to start watching when they started, and had much less selection on films. I found the 777 older in style and not that much more comfy so would opt for the 747. Hubby also says on the 777 when the woman infront of him put her seat back he was pinned down and couldn't move, hope this is helpful
Jenny
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:13 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

From a pilots point of view i prefer the B777 just look at one of the engines, its the same size ( diameter ) of a B737 passenger jet :scared: plus it has a modern flightdeck even though it still based around the B747. Excelent safety record.

Regarding seat pitch it varies between airlines, and the newest B777's have individual PVT screens in each seat with a selection of games movies and music, email and SMS facility.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Singapore Airlines 777 fleet

Recently flew LHR to Beijing on a 777, plane was okay, plenty of legroom, just no tv's in rear of seats, mind you, what can you expect from Air China????, the worst airline i have ever travelled with, never again, but plane was okay.
I think you've made a wise choice in Singapore Airlines.
Good luck
Gary
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:48 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I feel much better now, can't say I am looking forward to it as our kids are 5 yrs and 20 months so it will be a long trip! Hubby will be happy about tv screens
Of course nothing will make your trip a wonderful experience with two little ones(!), but Singapore Airlines are generally very good with children, so you've made a wise choice. Their entertainment is excellent too, and you'll find plenty to entertain the children when you're at Singapore Airport, certainly compared with most other airports.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:02 am
Just Joined

HiLo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CPW
Of course nothing will make your trip a wonderful experience with two little ones(!), but Singapore Airlines are generally very good with children, so you've made a wise choice. Their entertainment is excellent too, and you'll find plenty to entertain the children when you're at Singapore Airport, certainly compared with most other airports.

Pssst, psssst.....

they say with this new 777 planes, only 1 pilot and a dog are needed to fly it:

.. the pilot to feed the dog, and
... the dog to keep the pilot from touching the controls.

Henry
Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Singapore Airlines Rock as do their 777's.

We've just booked out flights for February with SIA and actually changed the date we flew as the outgoing flight was a 747. They are old, uncomfortable, more cramped and shake more than Elvis did on stage.

Entertainment system is fab with loads of films etc.. to watch. Just as well as I cannot sleep on planes at all.