Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In simple terms please...

In simple terms please...

Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:36 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Question In simple terms please...

I know it's been asked before but I have never understood completely.

The exchange rate is pretty grim at the mo. We complete on our house sale this Friday so should have circa £100K to transfer to AU$.

If we were to put this in a high interest account then wait until the rate got a bit better (obviously I am aware it may not) what are the tax implications?

I need an explanation that an amoeba could understand please...!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In simple terms please...

EH!

your question thew me lol lol

lace x
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej

The exchange rate is pretty grim at the mo. We complete on our house sale this Friday so should have circa £100K to transfer to AU$.

If we were to put this in a high interest account then wait until the rate got a bit better (obviously I am aware it may not) what are the tax implications?

Im no expert but if your money is sitting in your account and gaining interest then your bank will issue you with a certificate of interest earning at the end of the tax year. This has to be put in with your annual return. I dont think you will earn enough on a bank account to give you a large tax bill.

Your payment from the Australian News for your exclusive, however, will probably cost you!! Are they paying you a 6 figure sum!!!!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Im no expert but if your money is sitting in your account and gaining interest then your bank will issue you with a certificate of interest earning at the end of the tax year. This has to be put in with your annual return. I dont think you will earn enough on a bank account to give you a large tax bill.

Your payment from the Australian News for your exclusive, however, will probably cost you!! Are they paying you a 6 figure sum!!!!
You do need to move it over within six months though otherwise you will be clobbered aus tax wise.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by manxfamily

Of course!! Just had Playboy on the phone, they want be to do a centrefold :scared:
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You do need to move it over within six months though otherwise you will be clobbered aus tax wise.
Thanks moneypen, might give us some breathing space, will have to see. Rate gone up a cent since I checked this morning so fingers crossed.....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Of course!! Just had Playboy on the phone, they want be to do a centrefold :scared:
Whos paying who? !!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

From what I understand the 6 month rule only applies to pensions. You will be taxed on any exchange rate gain(or loss) on transfers of money made after you arrive in Oz. I have learnt this from this site so if I am wrong please someone correct me.

Tracy
Old Sep 27th 2005, 6:52 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
From what I understand the 6 month rule only applies to pensions. You will be taxed on any exchange rate gain(or loss) on transfers of money made after you arrive in Oz. I have learnt this from this site so if I am wrong please someone correct me.

Tracy
No your not wrong, gain and you pay tax even if it is invested here global earnings etc.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

For individuals, is there an annual capital gains tax exemption limit in Oz, like there is in the UK?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:20 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Nope ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Mr. Ee
For individuals, is there an annual capital gains tax exemption limit in Oz, like there is in the UK?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:26 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

1. Any increase in its A$ value will probably be assessable.

2. Any decrease in its A$ value will probably be deductible.

3. 1 and 2 are measured with reference to the A$ value of your GBP's on the date you become a tax resident of Australia.

4. There are exemptions available which mean you can disregard the above. For example, if the total of your GBP balances are less than the equivalent of A$250,000 and you prepare the relevant election (note - you can't net debit and credit balances - ie a mortgage of GBP100,000 and an in hand bank balance of GBP20,000 equals GBP120,000, not GBP80,000).

5. For the more detailed stuff, see http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=327

6. And for some free tax factsheets: http://www.collettandco.com/factsheet.cfm

Hope this helps.

Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:33 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

But your money will earn more interest in a bank here.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
But your money will earn more interest in a bank here.
We had all our money transferred to HIFX , they got us 2.55, which was great , we opened an account with bank west the day we got here, and the money was here 4 days later, it was lovely, not much left now though, im sorry but i want my money in the same country as i am in, good luck darling see u soon. Denise
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:41 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had my tax return done so went through this with an accountant. You're not liable for any CGT on the proceeds of a sale of property if it is your primary residence, ie you lived in it and it's not an investment property. There is no 6 month limit on when you transfer it as with pensions. I had to declare any interest earned on the UK account since becoming a UK resident but am not paying UK tax on it so no great loss.

As regards hoping for exchange rate improvement vs savings over here will depend on interest. Ie on £50k sat in the UK a 10c improvement on exchange rate will make around $6000 difference this end. This is roughly the same as getting 5% interest on it. So if you leave it in a decent interest account in the UK and wait for the exchange rate to improve (hopefully) then you'd gain a bit more. Swings and roundabouts really as you could lose as well if the rate drops and depends on if you need the money immediately or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.