Silk Flowers

Old Jul 20th 2006, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

spunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura about
Default Silk Flowers

I am getting married in January and hubby to be is hoping to emigrate next year sometime. (I am Australian dual citizen). I was wondering can you ship silk flowers out there, or dried ones in a frame.

I have read a few people saying on the forum dried ones are a big no no, do silk ones have the same problem.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 12:56 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Silk Flowers

Originally Posted by spunkytiger82
I am getting married in January and hubby to be is hoping to emigrate next year sometime. (I am Australian dual citizen). I was wondering can you ship silk flowers out there, or dried ones in a frame.

I have read a few people saying on the forum dried ones are a big no no, do silk ones have the same problem.
I shipped my silk wedding bouquet with no trouble at all, plus some assorted silk flower arrangements, but I think Pollyanna had problems with some silk flowers which were picked up by AQIS. Hopefully she will come back on this. I had a couple of arrangements that were a mixture of dried and silk - the silk were okay, but the dried had to be discarded.

HTH.

Sue
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silk Flowers

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I shipped my silk wedding bouquet with no trouble at all, plus some assorted silk flower arrangements, but I think Pollyanna had problems with some silk flowers which were picked up by AQIS. Hopefully she will come back on this. I had a couple of arrangements that were a mixture of dried and silk - the silk were okay, but the dried had to be discarded.

HTH.

Sue
Hi,
The problem I had was that the silk flowers were on a hat, and AQIS reckoned they might contain seeds Couldn't follow their logic but the shipping hassles had been so bad I just paid for destruction. That was the only item they pulled out of the whole consignment - makes me wonder now if they wanted to justify their costs somehow!!

I did also ship quite a few bunches of flowers, silk, linen and plastic, some of which were inspected, and all of which got through with no problem.

Couple of suggestions - don't bring dried ones. They will almost certainly be destroyed. Use silk ones, but if you want to frame them, do it AFTER you get here. Then AQIS will be able to see they are silk. Better still - if its feasible - bring them with you on the aircraft! then you don't have to declare them and they won't be looked at! If they are clearly silk, you should be fine though.