Don't give two hoots
12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)

Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Whats a lettuce
The lettuce has moved to another thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...96#post1248396

Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jack Daws
I agree and sympathies.

But like I said its hard to ignore a one liner thats begging for a reply. And maybe evryone here thats posted on this thread should try and give it a go

Whats a lettuce
Others seem to be able to ignore them...
And maybe the one liners shouldn't really be posted in the first place, except anything to do with Australia of course.
And don't misinterprate this in me saying there should be no humour on here!
BUT, this forum is primaraly (sp?!) about lifestyle and culture in Australia. So any humour about Australia is of course in the perfect place.

Another role of this forum is keeping people who are waiting busy, but it should be an 'underlying role', not the biggest ones as it seems now from all the 'drivel'.
And you can also keep entertained while posting about Oz and funny things in Oz etc etc.

And yes, of course there is going to be the occasional off topic stuff and threads going off topic.

Hope you understand what I mean!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:53 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmm......I voted for just right!!
I know there is a lot of drivel and stuff, but im an intelligent adult and know where the scroll down thingumy on my mouse is, so i do just that if its going off topic/thread whatevr you wanna call it!!
I mosey through a number of website chatrooms and they are ALL THE SAME!!!!!
I quite like it.......

sue
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:34 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
and i never ply my trade on the immi forum, which IMO is the place to ask serious questions.
Your self-restraint is most admirable WBB
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:36 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Originally posted by WBB
and i never ply my trade on the immi forum, which IMO is the place to ask serious questions.
That's true. Now then, Ex-Singapore Peter, I'm sure you don't want our inane drivel on the Immigration Board.
Fair enough. I'm quite happy that Usenet (Immigration Board) is relatively spared.

I cannot please everyone, unfortunately. I move some threads to The Lounge for obvious reasons. I'm happy to let you folks enjoy yourselves here, except for the normal no-no's. I'm busy planning my Sydney move, so hence my reduced postings lately.

Peter
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:06 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi all.

I voted for A! i think there are too many posts in here to do with immigration. i know it's been said already but it's not hard to understand immigration questions go in the immigration forum....

...ooh bo**acks, i just remembered something! my first post was in here asking for advise on getting a visa! ok i should change my vote to C in that case!

Keep up the good work everyone, it's the only thing keeping me going at the moment!!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

The problem with all this is a total lack of consistency. Some piles of drivel seem to be acceptable whilst others are not. Also, what constitutes drivel? What one person thinks is irrelevant an other may not.

To me, it appears that theres no problem in starting drivel within a thread as long as its the kind THAT particular poster enjoys. It only becomes annoying when you don't like the content.

Another problem with all this is, ptlabs will spend his enitre time on here wading through threads to check up on it (which is impossible) and therefore, more disharmony and contempt will breed as reports to the moderator will sky rocket to let him know whats going on.

All a waste of time in my opinion. Just more ammunition to those who like to shit stir.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

This is all getting a bit full on for me.

There seem to be more and more threads complaining about the state of the forum and bitching about others, and yet the ongoing saga of one liners about Ceri, Dotty etc and the pool boy trundles on with no problem?!

We move all sensible immigration questions to the immigration forum and all off-topic stuff to the Lounge, and what does that leave us with ?? The posts about whether Oz is better than England that everyone complains is done to death and just gets everybody's backs up !!

Fair enough, threads getting hijacked by pages of drivel, but some conversations just go that way.

But no one liners or witty comments ?? Sounds like this place is going to get a lot less fun. But if that's what the "majority" want then so be it.

I'm voting for Jordan....oh sorry, that was last week
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
This is all getting a bit full on for me.

There seem to be more and more threads complaining about the state of the forum and bitching about others, and yet the ongoing saga of one liners about Ceri, Dotty etc and the pool boy trundles on with no problem?!

We move all sensible immigration questions to the immigration forum and all off-topic stuff to the Lounge, and what does that leave us with ?? The posts about whether Oz is better than England that everyone complains is done to death and just gets everybody's backs up !!

Fair enough, threads getting hijacked by pages of drivel, but some conversations just go that way.

But no one liners or witty comments ?? Sounds like this place is going to get a lot less fun. But if that's what the "majority" want then so be it.
I don't know where it says that one liners and witty comments are not allowed???

And the pool boy thread is about Australia!
Pools, tupperware etc, all on topic!

And also, I think there leaves enough to talk about!!! Moving, schools, housing, work, shopping etc etc etc!!

Anyway, I don't think it's THAT big a deal, it's really just when there whole pages of the 'drivel'. And even then, it's not a matter of life and death!
Anyway I said all this before!
And it also seems that's what everyone sort of means on this subject.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:37 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Definately too many posts are an excuse for others to have a social chat about whatever take their fancy!
It is so annoying when there is a discussion about a particular subject, then suddenly its off at a tangent,"...... hi so & so" etc.

They go completely off the subject, damn, I hate that!, did you hear about this guy in the news last week, well let me tell you.................ooopppsss sorry
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Simone82
I don't know where it says that one liners and witty comments are not allowed???

And the pool boy thread is about Australia!
Pools, tupperware etc, all on topic!

And also, I think there leaves enough to talk about!!! Moving, schools, housing, work, shopping etc etc etc!!

Anyway, I don't think it's THAT big a deal, it's really just when there whole pages of the 'drivel'. And even then, it's not a matter of life and death!
Anyway I said all this before!
And it also seems that's what everyone sort of means on this subject.
Re: one liners - as mentioned in 'Stick To The Topic' thread posted recently.

Seems to me that it must be a big deal to some people or it would not be taking up so much space on this forum.

Anyway, it ain't no big deal to me so I am not going to add to it any further here. My tuppence worth has been submitted !
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:21 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by Florida_03
Just change the forum title

Lifestyle & Culture & Utter Crap
How about Lifestyle & Cultured Crap?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:27 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ptlabs
How about Lifestyle & Cultured Crap?

I don't think you could ever in a month of Sundays call it Cultured Crap, Peter!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:38 pm
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pollster
I don't think you could ever in a month of Sundays call it Cultured Crap, Peter!
the simple fact that some of these drivel post get more reply's sometimes than more serious ones must in itself tell us something,i dont think its a malicious thing its just that some people have been around a bit longer and heare the same posts again and again,boredom sets in and some 1 liners are thrown in.it maybee a pain but it dosent disolve the whole thread just scroll down and catch up again or better still we could be put in the stocks & have rotten veg lobed at us (hard) followed up with agood sound thrashing & a talking to
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:42 pm
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pollster
your right pollster its not crap at all,how dare you peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.