Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sign up now for next Brisbane Girls Night Out!

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Closed down??? Ouch!

Actually I just checked their site and it's only closed 'until further notice' ... mutter, mumble, grumble. Sorry Sue, I had to check cos I'd just received my Gilhooleys club newsletter and it didn't say anything in there about this.

Well ladies, one other alternative I could suggest is The Victory Hotel on the corner of Edward and Charlotte Streets. It has a great beer garden (entrance off Charlotte Street), does food 'til 21:00 (9pm) and has entertainment on weekends. If we get in early-ish, we'll get a table for sure. Any thoughts?

OK, sounds good to me. Anyone else got thoughts on it?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:36 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Back to the same old venue then girls, or do we have a good suggestion of anywhere else??

Michelle, I'm dying for decent crisps again, shall I order you some Monster Munch while I'm at it?

Oooooooo, yes please!!! Just a couple of packets, don't want to be too greedy
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Oooooooo, yes please!!! Just a couple of packets, don't want to be too greedy
No problems, I'll get some in for your return!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:48 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Closed down??? Ouch!

Actually I just checked their site and it's only closed 'until further notice' ... mutter, mumble, grumble. Sorry Sue, I had to check cos I'd just received my Gilhooleys club newsletter and it didn't say anything in there about this.

Well ladies, one other alternative I could suggest is The Victory Hotel on the corner of Edward and Charlotte Streets. It has a great beer garden (entrance off Charlotte Street), does food 'til 21:00 (9pm) and has entertainment on weekends. If we get in early-ish, we'll get a table for sure. Any thoughts?

I seem to remember suggesting The Victory (the Pig N Whistle, The Port Office, The Stock Exchange etc etc) a few months ago, so am more than up for a change of scene!
The beer garden is okay(I'm there once a week usually and can see it from my office ) and IMO its better than Gils (but I'm just not a big fan of Gils I'm afraid, as good as the company is!). On a Friday it just does a sausage sizzle until about 8pm, no meals outside - not seen anyone eat there on Sat nights either, but perhaps they do inside by the TAB. Its usually a bit quieter in there on a Saturday, so a fair chance we could get a table, or at least one of those tall benches to lean around!!

Last edited by mlbonner; Feb 2nd 2005 at 10:12 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

No problems, I'll get some in for your return!
Cheers m'dear! I'll bring you back some American yuck in return
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:38 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

UPDATE!!

Just been past Downtown Gils, and the sign out the front says 'closed from 10th-32st January'.... on that basis I'd say its open again now.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:07 pm
Home and Happy

UPDATE!!

Just been past Downtown Gils, and the sign out the front says 'closed from 10th-32st January'.... on that basis I'd say its open again now.
32st Jan....having a day like me then!!!
We need a decision before you leave for your wild holiday........ shall we go for that or the Victory?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:29 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

32st Jan....having a day like me then!!!
We need a decision before you leave for your wild holiday........ shall we go for that or the Victory?

Bugger, erm, yeah, erm *improvise* What it is, right, is leap years are different down under don't ya know tis definitely 'one of those days'!!

Well, it doesnt look like they've done Gils up, so nothing new to look at - here's how I see it;
Smaller, darker, more homely, = Downtown Gils
Bigger, noisey, outdoors = Victory

Perhaps we should do D.Gils if its raining and The Vic if its not!?!

Will go along with whatever, at the end of the day, if they sell beer, the music is okay and the company good, I'm happy!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

Anyone interested???? [/QUOTE]
COUNT ME IN
have a good holiday michelle give the one armed bandit a pull for me!
(that sounds a bit rude doesnt it? lol)
if you get chance while you are in las vegas, watch one of the cirque de solei shows i watched the one in treasure island. honestly the best show i have ever seen.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by jinxnkay
COUNT ME IN
have a good holiday michelle give the one armed bandit a pull for me!
(that sounds a bit rude doesnt it? lol)
if you get chance while you are in las vegas, watch one of the cirque de solei shows i watched the one in treasure island. honestly the best show i have ever seen.

My, my tis a bit rude hey

I saw CdeS in Brisbane in Nov, they were really good. We hope to see a show while over there, so will definitely keep an eye out for that one, cheers.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:42 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Perhaps we should do D.Gils if its raining and The Vic if its not!?!
Sounds good to me!

If folks don't find us at one, we'll be at t'other.

Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:51 am
Home and Happy

Quick bump back to the top.........are we heading for the Victory this time then girls??
Someone make a decision.......I don't do decisions, they're too dangerous, and get me into trouble so I'll let someone else stick their neck out All I ask is that wherever we go has a VERY large clear sign outside cos my glasses are still on order
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Talking Re: Sign up now for next Brisbane Girls Night Out!

Reading these with interest!! Wish I was there! Only 6 months to go and I will be well up for a night out in Brisie!

Hi girls,

Well the last night out turned into a quiet drink for 2 of us, followed by a riotous night for the Mcmercer family and me!

This time, no excuses This one is scheduled for a SATURDAY, by popular request. February 26th, book it now!

We will hopefully be hosting visitors from far north places like Gympie, who fancy a taste of the exotic Brissie nightlife (so I'm not sure what they are doing with us, but anyway.....)

At present I will say Gilhooleys, although suggestions are welcome and if someone can come up with a good meeting place, easy to find, and handy for trains, we will go with that.

Anyone interested????
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:40 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: Sign up now for next Brisbane Girls Night Out!

Quick bump back to the top.........are we heading for the Victory this time then girls??
Someone make a decision.......I don't do decisions, they're too dangerous, and get me into trouble so I'll let someone else stick their neck out All I ask is that wherever we go has a VERY large clear sign outside cos my glasses are still on order.
Well, I think the decision's been made for us. Just visited Gilhooleys website and now there's no mention of Downtown whatsoever, so suspect that they finally bit the bullet and closed it. Shame, cos it was a much better meeting place (quieter, easier to talk).

So, it looks like the Vic this time, eh? Now all we have to work out is a time! Being a Saturday, I'd suggest starting (and ending??!!) a bit earlier, say, 16:00 or 17:00. Better chance of getting a table. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

Old Feb 18th 2005, 11:18 pm
Home and Happy

Well, I think the decision's been made for us. Just visited Gilhooleys website and now there's no mention of Downtown whatsoever, so suspect that they finally bit the bullet and closed it. Shame, cos it was a much better meeting place (quieter, easier to talk).

So, it looks like the Vic this time, eh? Now all we have to work out is a time! Being a Saturday, I'd suggest starting (and ending??!!) a bit earlier, say, 16:00 or 17:00. Better chance of getting a table. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

No problem with starting earlier, whatever suits people, but come on....Chris, Finishing earlier!!! Thought you knew me better than that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.