Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shrinking container anyone?

Shrinking container anyone?

Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:24 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrinking container anyone?

Originally posted by mashiraz
We were told by one company we needed 40', another said plenty of space, most said it was tight!

We did however get rid of some stuff like to piano in the hope it was less tight!!

However we may soon have a house to put it in. The sun is shining and Adelaide is a beautiful city.

Keep in touch!
Mash
good to see you have arrived, hows the house hunting going,? MM
Old Jul 10th 2003, 5:27 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Thanks M M Except for one pine bed (slatted type) all our furniture is G Plan and solid only the tops come apart from the bottoms of the 'dresser type' units. Thanks for the hint about the wash m/c I will get my husband to make a support/bolt frame. The 'boxes' of chairs - do they put 2 chairs together top to bottom to do this or just one at a time? i.e would I have 5 boxes or 10 to fill? Yvonne
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:13 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yafm
Thanks M M Except for one pine bed (slatted type) all our furniture is G Plan and solid only the tops come apart from the bottoms of the 'dresser type' units. Thanks for the hint about the wash m/c I will get my husband to make a support/bolt frame. The 'boxes' of chairs - do they put 2 chairs together top to bottom to do this or just one at a time? i.e would I have 5 boxes or 10 to fill? Yvonne
no you dont need to top and tail ,just leave them as induviduals, and fill up inside the legs... MM
Old Jul 11th 2003, 5:33 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Right, thanks I must keep my fingers crossed that I do not overload. I have just asked Bishops move about any free storage in UK (PSS offer up to 2 weeks before shipping) they say they only do this by wrapped pallets which they then afterwards load into a container (not for me thanks too many stories on the ned about stuff in warehouses) I will now definitely go for PSS (unless anyone says otherwise.) They advise they use Kents in oz and I have had a mailing from them also which I appreciated.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doree Bonner

No guarantees but we've done this before:

We've used Doree Bonner (in Kent I think) before to move to Oz. They were excellent - friendly too. At the other end in Oz they use Grace Bros who are major and reputable.

Tip - don't go with any mover who can't tell you who they use at the other end or says 'a selection of [cheap] local companies'. You need to know it's someone efficient who won't leave your stuff sitting around (because its prepaid ie guaranteed dosh) when they're having a busy time with local removals.

We got three quotes and got Doree Bonner to reduce their price to match the other one we thought was sensible (from Anglo Pacific).

Sending 20' sole use container plus non-urgent stuff groupage (takes 1-2 weeks longer). Didn't have so much stuff last time so it all went groupage. Packed efficiently, delivered promptly, nothing damaged.