Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should you be used as a guest house?

Should you be used as a guest house?

Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should you be used as a guest house?

Originally Posted by Sattman
and that wifey will be able to get out by herself instead of having the baby 24/7.
I am really going to pretend you didn't say that :scared:
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:41 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Should you be used as a guest house?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
my MIL is the only person on earth who mops the patio ),
Mrs Buzzy would quite happily vacuum the garden given the opportunity. :scared:

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:26 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We know exactly who can stay with us - immediate family and very close friends only.

If acquaintances don't fall over themselves to to visit us in Manchester, why should we put them up in Perth?

I've said to a few people that, if they're ever in Perth, give us a call and we'll meet up for a drink. I'm certain it's been understood that accomodation is not included.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:59 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Can you send your mum over when she finishes cleaning your place? We have no helpers, oh I mean visitors, at the moment...

When my inlaws come over, they treat their stay as "working holidays" - every morning they assign themselves tasks - laundry, ironing, lawn mowing, hoovering, moping (my MIL is the only person on earth who mops the patio ), collecting sticks from the garden, cutting hedges, clearing the garage, etc. And the best thing is they never try to make me or hubby feel embarrassed about the state of our house! Or perhaps we just don't understand the subtleness of their action?! I can't remember the number of times I have had to ask them to stop working, especially when they are outdoor in the scorching heat. In the afternoon, they give themselves free time - just hang out in the garden reading or swimming in the pool.

Mrs JTL
Aren't bustling relatives just fantastic. Neither of my sisters like having my mum to stay, but as we are always hopelessly disorganised, having my mum around is great - the good definitately outweighs the bad!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I ask this because when I told some distant friends our plans, bearing in mind I only see them once a year, they said 'Right, can we come and see you?'

'Yes, thats fine but you wont be able to stay with me, I can find you cheap accommodation, but you must understand we will be working and will be leading our normal lives and to have visitors staying and using an apartment as a holiday let is not a good idea'

To this she replied 'Oh dont worry if you only have a 1 bedroom, we can sleep on the floor'

Now when my family said they will come out, they want to hire their own accommodation to come and go as they please.

Where do you draw the line with visitors? Lets face it, they wont come for a week and whilst we need to appreciate that they are on holiday and will want to eat, drink and be merry, and do their thing, they too must appreciate that this is your life, you will be working, coming home and resting.

I think relationships and friendships can go drastically wrong when someone takes it upon themselves to invite themselves to your house and treat it like a holiday let.

And it especially annoys me when people you barely talk to invite themselves when in fact, they never bothered you in the first place.

Do any of you have ground rules of what you will and wont put up with or any horror stories?

Or do you think you should put up and shut up when it comes to holiday guests and feel grateful they have come to see you (or not as the case may be).

Interested to hear opinions.

(Ive set my ground rules)
I think we have sucker written across our foreheads because we have taken in people several times as soon as we've moved to different countries and always been abused by it. I will say never again......until the next time A few of these usually helps I still wonder how people have the balls to just use your home as a free guesthouse I must be stupid or something because I could never to that to others Whilst staying with our relatives when we first arrived we made sure that we helped around the house by doing the washing and cleaning around the house whilst they were at work and paid for meals out and paid for the groceries and tried to make sure we weren't in the way so they could still have some privecy. I just call it good manners.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:14 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
We know exactly who can stay with us - immediate family and very close friends only.

If acquaintances don't fall over themselves to to visit us in Manchester, why should we put them up in Perth?
I've said to a few people that, if they're ever in Perth, give us a call and we'll meet up for a drink. I'm certain it's been understood that accomodation is not included.
Excellent point, we have suddenly become far more popular than we ever were in the UK, funny that isnt it, they all get the simple no. As others have said once you mention you know some excellent places to stay, the acquaintances suddenly decide to go to Tenerife instead.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
On mothers day my oldest son who will be staying in England said to me mum you do realise when you move to oz i will probably see you about another 10 times as I wont be able to come out every year it brought a lump to my throat and i realise how much I will miss every one.
Janet
That's a sobering thought. My family are coming over to visit in September (I will be meeting my niece for the first time) and it will be the first time in a few years that we have all been together at once, and the first time we've all been on a holiday for a long time. We will be spending more time doing things together than we would in the UK, so although I won't be seeing family and friends very often, when i do it will be quality time.

(Matt)
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

We've been here for just over 18 months now and have had 3 sets of visitors.. The first stayed for 3 months and paid, the second was a mate who stayed for just a couple of weeks but was well aware of the fact that we worked and just saw Sydney by himself and the last were a parents which is different.

If its family/friends you like then I would definitely put them up, and if it were distant relatives or friends of friends then I would charge...

Once you are actually out here your opinions change over visitors, you may find that you can't wait for them to come!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Guess you have to be the judge yourself. Can't be a hard and fast rule because we definitely have family I would rather be staying elsewhere - (we all do don't we :scared: ). But also have friends who I want to stay with us to maximise our time together .

We take people at face value first and then only when its evident they are taking the piss, move on like ships in the night.

We have a few people coming to stay in the next few months and are looking forward to helping out as best we can - ie fellow BE members. We all know how expensive it is too come all the way out for the reccie trips and if we can help out we will. Even if it is a cup of tea and a friendly chat.

We stopped seeing certain people a few months before our departure (the typical users) and the friends we keep in contact with took us out for our farewell not the other way. Knowing there are always people out there who are genuine will keep us being as hospitable as possible.

Kiwi
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I ask this because when I told some distant friends our plans, bearing in mind I only see them once a year, they said 'Right, can we come and see you?'

'Yes, thats fine but you wont be able to stay with me, I can find you cheap accommodation, but you must understand we will be working and will be leading our normal lives and to have visitors staying and using an apartment as a holiday let is not a good idea'

To this she replied 'Oh dont worry if you only have a 1 bedroom, we can sleep on the floor'

Now when my family said they will come out, they want to hire their own accommodation to come and go as they please.

Where do you draw the line with visitors? Lets face it, they wont come for a week and whilst we need to appreciate that they are on holiday and will want to eat, drink and be merry, and do their thing, they too must appreciate that this is your life, you will be working, coming home and resting.

I think relationships and friendships can go drastically wrong when someone takes it upon themselves to invite themselves to your house and treat it like a holiday let.

And it especially annoys me when people you barely talk to invite themselves when in fact, they never bothered you in the first place.

Do any of you have ground rules of what you will and wont put up with or any horror stories?

Or do you think you should put up and shut up when it comes to holiday guests and feel grateful they have come to see you (or not as the case may be).

Interested to hear opinions.

(Ive set my ground rules)
I love having visitors and even though I'm not yet in Australia, some of my close friends and family are already planning to visit My rules are simple, you get a key and details of the car rental places. Also copies of all the local attractions etc. You do your thing and I do mine, we will do things together as and when it suits. You clean up after yourselves. We take turns cooking. I never charge, but my friends and family are the sort that will look in the cupboards and fridge to see what kind of stuff you buy and then go out and do a massive shop. They also get busy with the housework without being asked and treat you to meals etc out. I have had quite a few visitors over the years from overseas and only one ever abused our friendship. Once is a mistake, twice is a habit, so out she went. If it was a casual aquaintance they would be told they could stay but only for a couple of nights max.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

i just had to reply to this thread i had a problem a while back we had been here only a month and my partners best friend came to stay and the first night he was here he said "oh you do know I'm staying till Xmas"!!! :scared: and i was like i dont think so you can stay for 2 weeks and thats it !!!!bloody 6 months to stay in my house for that long i couldn't even cope with 2 weeks with him (cheeky sod)so from now on if any one comes to stay we will set a timescale !!!!!so least we know when and how long they are staying for as that has been the most stressful situation since arriving here!!!!
i deffo needed a drink when he left!!!
my partner said until you live with your best friend you realise you really dont really know them very well!!!
Lindzixxx
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

love to see family and friends its hard work but worth it i just give them a key and let them do there own thing while we go to work not a bit of bother also have helped a lot of people i know when they first get out here to live because i know how hard it is when you first arive :scared:
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:33 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Family and friends will have an open invitation to stay with us in Sydney - for however long they want. They'd all do the same for us. Everyone else is a 'here's our email address. Drop us a line if you're coming over here and we'd love to meet up whilst you're here'.

Nicky
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should you be used as a guest house?

Originally Posted by thebears
We take people at face value first and then only when its evident they are taking the piss, move on like ships in the night.

We have a few people coming to stay in the next few months and are looking forward to helping out as best we can - ie fellow BE members. We all know how expensive it is too come all the way out for the reccie trips and if we can help out we will. Kiwi

[You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thebears again.]

Buzzy