Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should we sell our house ?

should we sell our house ?

Old May 1st 2003, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should we sell our house ?

My husband wants to sell up now while house prices are high and pay off our debts, put the rest of the money in an high intrest account and move us all in with his mum and dad :scared:
so we are ready if and when the visa arives and we can save our wages every month instead of spending it all out on bills.
I cant decide wether this is a good idea or not the thought of spending months with the out-laws is enough to drive me crazy but it does make sense money wise. our application went in on march 25th 03, so we have months of waiting ahead.
Does any body think it will be a good idea to sell up or should we wait !!
wombat
Old May 1st 2003, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

matt&sue is an unknown quantity at this point

makes sense if you can handle the out laws but any money saved will be spent on marriage counciling:scared:
Old May 1st 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: should we sell our house ?

Originally posted by wombat
My husband wants to sell up now while house prices are high and pay off our debts, put the rest of the money in an high intrest account and move us all in with his mum and dad :scared:
so we are ready if and when the visa arives and we can save our wages every month instead of spending it all out on bills.
I cant decide wether this is a good idea or not the thought of spending months with the out-laws is enough to drive me crazy but it does make sense money wise. our application went in on march 25th 03, so we have months of waiting ahead.
wombat
Hi Wombat,

If the house market in your area is anything like ours is at the moment, I would suggest get it on the market as soon as possible. Our house has been on the market coming up for 4 months and all we've had through the door are a couple of time wasters. We only lodged our application at the end of Feb, so we do have time on our hands, but we are seriously concerned about the housing market. It just seems to have died around here (Essex countryside).

Our plans are that if we sell before the visa comes we will either rent or move in with family/friends.

Good luck in making the decision!

Hazel.
Old May 1st 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by matt&sue
makes sense if you can handle the out laws but any money saved will be spent on marriage counciling:scared:
It may even drive us to a divorce ... but hey we wont have to argue about who gets the house !!
Old May 1st 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: should we sell our house ?

wombat

Hi Wombat

In reading other peoples posts and looking at my situation, it is much less stressful waiting for a visa as opposed to trying to sell the house whilst youve got your visa.

Put it up for sale !!

Also house prices are starting to fall

regards and good luck

Terry
Old May 1st 2003, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone that has replied, now my husband is going to say i told you it was a good idea :lecture:
Old May 1st 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wombat, a word of caution.

You need to be fairly confident you are going to get your visa, and that you will go, regardless of any change in circumstances between now and then, otherwise you might find yourself back on the bottom rung.

Having said that, if you are willing to take that risk, now is good time to sell to maximise price, but market is already slowing.

We didn't sell till visa wsa in the pocket.
Good Luck
Mash...

PS your hubby will say I told you so regardless, that's what they do best

Thanks to everyone that has replied, now my husband is going to say i told you it was a good idea :lecture:
Old May 1st 2003, 8:20 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hiya Everyone

As you know we have only just had our TRA back - but we have paid the agent half of their fees and then have begun the visa application.

What I want to know - When is it safe to put your house on the market???????? - we dont want to count our chickens before they are hatched!!!!!!!!!

Andy thought about putting the house on the market around Jan/Feb time - anyone have any view to this????????

Lisa

ps we will be moving in with my mum - must be mad!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Boomie; May 1st 2003 at 8:26 pm.
Old May 1st 2003, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi mash...
We have decided that if we get turned down for the visa we are going to sell up anyway and do something else, dont know what yet but we dont want to stick around here!

Originally posted by mashiraz
Wombat, a word of caution.

You need to be fairly confident you are going to get your visa, and that you will go, regardless of any change in circumstances between now and then, otherwise you might find yourself back on the bottom rung.

Having said that, if you are willing to take that risk, now is good time to sell to maximise price, but market is already slowing.

We didn't sell till visa wsa in the pocket.
Good Luck
Mash...

PS your hubby will say I told you so regardless, that's what they do best
Old May 1st 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the same boat. Had confirmation that our visa application had been received 14th April 2003.

Put our house on the market last week, no interest as of yet!

We will move in with the parents as soon as its sold.
The more money we can save this side the better.

We have got to give it our all, if we aren't successful at least we will have saved extra money for a bigger house here.

cheers

Karen and Andy
Old May 1st 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a bad thought...

We said we'd never sell our house ever, EXCEPT if we definitely went to oz. Now it's sold, we have been thinking, actually what else could we do if we stayed here with all this dosh. Useful argument with ourselves but still came to the conclusion we're going to oz to give it a go. We can always come back alot more open minded to oppportunities.

I think it was a fear of change kept us clinging to the house. However it's just a house afterall...

Mash...

Hi mash...
We have decided that if we get turned down for the visa we are going to sell up anyway and do something else, dont know what yet but we dont want to stick around here!
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:41 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hiya

Wombat - have you decided what you are gonna do re the house???????

Lisa
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hiya

Originally posted by Boomerang
Wombat - have you decided what you are gonna do re the house???????

Lisa
Hi boomerang,
After a sleepless night i have decided to sell it now :scared:
My father inlaw said today "if your living in my house its my rules !! there will be no more coming in at 3 am drunk every weekend like you do now !"
Oh my god , living with them is going to drive me to drink
The mother in law is overjoyed at the thought of the grandkids living there and the chance to try and brainwash us into not going 24 hours a day !!
My mum offered us £15,000 not to go today, i told her we will take the money and go any way

Any way we are having the house valued next week and then its up for sale!
thanks everyone for the advice
lucy
Old May 2nd 2003, 7:04 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

To anyone thinking of selling their UK house: I suggest you take a look through the best online resource I have found which will probably channel your thinking in terms of sale strategy (realistic pricing etc). It's on the Motley Fool site, www.fool.co.uk - check out the folder Investors' Roundtable / Property - Markets and Trends (maybe here's a URL http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.as...02&mid=7874803 ). You need to reguister - free of charge.

In short - sell at realistic price ASAP to get best price before the imminent crash.

Cheers - Don
Old May 2nd 2003, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
To anyone thinking of selling their UK house: I suggest you take a look through the best online resource I have found which will probably channel your thinking in terms of sale strategy (realistic pricing etc). It's on the Motley Fool site, www.fool.co.uk - check out the folder Investors' Roundtable / Property - Markets and Trends (maybe here's a URL http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.as...02&mid=7874803 ). You need to reguister - free of charge.

In short - sell at realistic price ASAP to get best price before the imminent crash.

Cheers - Don
Thanks for that, Don
wombat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.