Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we consider OZ?

Should we consider OZ?

Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

gregevan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should we consider OZ?

Done a recce of NZ North Island in April after considering a move there for some time. We done lots of research (even had a Kiwi at work that I could pump for info!) I was really convinced that it would be a wonderful place for us to live - with two kids under 8 the outdoor lifestyle really appeals.

It didn't take long after arriving in NZ for us to realise we couldn't live there. Main reasons - isolation, poor economy, high cost of many goods. We really thought we had done our homework - maybe we were a bit naive - maybe we just got carried away in our enthusiasm to move down under - don't know - it's a lovely place, lovely people, just not for us.

As we transited through Sydney we thought 'Why on earth have we overlooked Oz in favour of NZ?'

We have now done more research and fancy a move to Melbourne and are considering a recce trip. Have read lots of Oz v's NZ threads which have been helpfull but would love to know if Oz really does have much more to offer.

Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Re: Should we consider OZ?

Originally Posted by gregevan
Done a recce of NZ North Island in April after considering a move there for some time. We done lots of research (even had a Kiwi at work that I could pump for info!) I was really convinced that it would be a wonderful place for us to live - with two kids under 8 the outdoor lifestyle really appeals.

It didn't take long after arriving in NZ for us to realise we couldn't live there. Main reasons - isolation, poor economy, high cost of many goods. We really thought we had done our homework - maybe we were a bit naive - maybe we just got carried away in our enthusiasm to move down under - don't know - it's a lovely place, lovely people, just not for us.

As we transited through Sydney we thought 'Why on earth have we overlooked Oz in favour of NZ?'

We have now done more research and fancy a move to Melbourne and are considering a recce trip. Have read lots of Oz v's NZ threads which have been helpfull but would love to know if Oz really does have much more to offer.

In work at the moment, PM me with specifics you want to know and I will get back to you. We are also living in Melbourne and from Glasgow. Been here for 5 months now.

Speak to you soon
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
In work at the moment, PM me with specifics you want to know and I will get back to you. We are also living in Melbourne and from Glasgow. Been here for 5 months now.

Speak to you soon
stop skivin u....get back tae work!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggy
stop skivin u....get back tae work!!!!
you keep you head out of this one, I will do what I want when someone else is paying ( typical Scotsman )
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:33 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
you keep you head out of this one, I will do what I want when someone else is paying ( typical Scotsman )
lol........i'm gone
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't really have an answer to this one, but we visited both countries on holiday before we moved to Australia, and although I thought that NZ was beautiful and peaceful in many parts I could not live there. I think coming from the UK where things are so close together, the kids would have struggled with the isolation, particularly as they were teenagers and had a pretty good social life up and running. That is just my view and I am sure that others may prefer NZ to OZ, each to their own as they say.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I thin both countries have a lot to offer, but in very different ways. If NZ is not your bag then you really should come and have a look here. The two places are in my mind, chalk and cheese and many of the downsides that your percieved with NZ I would agree with you.

Australia does have its downsides too of course but I think from your post that it may offer what you are looking for.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:30 pm
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Oz has much more to offer in every way.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:57 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add my 5 cent of worth...
Calculate the cost of living v/s avg. salary and INCOME TAX.... if the calculation of net savings does not kill you its a perfect place...
We all want to have a home and repay the morgage sooner.... but after working out the IT, cost of living and avg. salary... you are better off then go for it...

My view, Australian IT tax is killer and cost of living is heigher compared to other western countries... now all dont kills me for my opnion...
Good luck...
- Bart...

Old Nov 21st 2005, 4:01 am
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Just to add my 5 cent of worth...
Calculate the cost of living v/s avg. salary and INCOME TAX.... if the calculation of net savings does not kill you its a perfect place...
We all want to have a home and repay the morgage sooner.... but after working out the IT, cost of living and avg. salary... you are better off then go for it...

My view, Australian IT tax is killer and cost of living is heigher compared to other western countries... now all dont kills me for my opnion...
Good luck...
- Bart...

IT in NZ higher for low wage and higher cost of everithing than in OZ.
the move is worth it
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:42 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by puna
IT in NZ higher for low wage and higher cost of everithing than in OZ.
the move is worth it
Try your luck...
Oz is always better then NZ...!
Good luck.
- Bart
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:09 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you on Melbourne as I've never been but could give info on brisbane. Tray www.ourbrisbane.com.au for a wee flavour.

Were you at the Scottish Meet in Brewsters at Ediburgh. Think I recalled someone talking just before we left to go back to Dundee?

There's a few on here from Melbourne that'd be able to help.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stitch
Can't help you on Melbourne as I've never been but could give info on brisbane. Tray www.ourbrisbane.com.au for a wee flavour.

Were you at the Scottish Meet in Brewsters at Ediburgh. Think I recalled someone talking just before we left to go back to Dundee?

There's a few on here from Melbourne that'd be able to help.

Cheers

Ginny
We were at the Scottish meet. The ones who smelt of vinegar! (our 8 year old spilt a full bottle over our table.) Spoke to Gavin for a while - he's a real character could have listened to him all day. I spoke to someone on the way out about our situation. (Think that must have been you.) Got some great info that day. Planning a Melbourne recce in April.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:07 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We were at the Scottish meet. The ones who smelt of vinegar! (our 8 year old spilt a full bottle over our table.) Spoke to Gavin for a while - he's a real character could have listened to him all day. I spoke to someone on the way out about our situation. (Think that must have been you.) Got some great info that day. Planning a Melbourne recce in April.
I think after your expereince of NZ then a recce is a defo. What line of work would you be looking to do? Cost of living I believe is higher in Melbourne than Brisbane. Suppose it really depends upon what your looking for. At least with Oz you can go to different states and experience a different way of life. I also believe Melbourne's got all the seasons....don't fancy that ourselves!

Yes it was me on the way out the door...

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stitch
I think after your expereince of NZ then a recce is a defo. What line of work would you be looking to do? Cost of living I believe is higher in Melbourne than Brisbane. Suppose it really depends upon what your looking for. At least with Oz you can go to different states and experience a different way of life. I also believe Melbourne's got all the seasons....don't fancy that ourselves!

Yes it was me on the way out the door...

Cheers

Ginny
We run a small business and are looking at an entrepreneur visa. Quite like the prospect of seasons - maybe give more opportunity for outdoor activities throughout the year. The boys play Rugby League here, but there is no training over the winter months. Like the idea of the Gold/Sunshine coast as a holiday destination.