Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we consider Australia

Should we consider Australia

Old May 19th 2005, 9:18 am
Mad Bint

Platty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to all
Default Should we consider Australia

Hi There

We've been trying to emigrate to Canada, twice we've been within a whisker of getting a work permit and both times it's fallen through. Neither of us have enough points for PR so work permit is the only way to go for us at the moment. We are starting to think maybe it's not meant to be

I did an assessment for Australian PR and we do have the points The only thing that's really put us off is the heat, how unbearable can it be?

Basically I'd like you to tell me whats good and bad about Australia

Thanks

Wendy
Old May 19th 2005, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should we consider Australia

Originally Posted by Platty
Hi There

We've been trying to emigrate to Canada, twice we've been within a whisker of getting a work permit and both times it's fallen through. Neither of us have enough points for PR so work permit is the only way to go for us at the moment. We are starting to think maybe it's not meant to be

I did an assessment for Australian PR and we do have the points The only thing that's really put us off is the heat, how unbearable can it be?

Thanks

Wendy
Good - You might be able to get PR here
Bad - You sound like you are grasping at any country that will have you

Cheers,
Matt
Old May 19th 2005, 9:23 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There

Thanks

Wendy

Come to Melbourne it has a more european climate
Old May 19th 2005, 9:25 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hi There

Thanks

Wendy
Melbourne doesn't get that hot and it is a really really nice city in my opinion.

beginning of winter now so cooling down everywhere, but the weather varies hugely from the North and South of Australia, If you dont like it being too hot then you need to go somewhere south.

If you can come and have a look to see if you like the place.

Kala
Old May 19th 2005, 9:29 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Come to Melbourne it has a more european climate

Yep I agree. Melbourne would be a much better climate if you want to avoid the heat, Tasmania or NZ be ok too. Not as much work in Tasmania I think though. Sydney can be ok. Perth and Adelaide can both get hot, but Adelaide seems a lot more livable for some reason (prob cause cool winds come up from the sth coast). Brisbane and further north forget. You would simply die !!! LOL
Old May 19th 2005, 9:33 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There

Thanks

Wendy

You do realise that parts of canada can hit -47C in winter? and that you have to buy a speacial gadget so you can start your car in the morning (if you can drive it thru 4 feet of snow and ice that is?

Have you thought your rejections from canada were really maybe God being kind?
Old May 19th 2005, 9:35 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Hi There

Thanks

Wendy
Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. If you do apply for Aus, then good luck with it. The heat varies in Australia. We're in Melbourne and it is quite temperate compared to the rest of Aus....others who live elsewere might say it's bloody cold here

At the moment it's around 16-19C during the days and getting down to maybe 6C at night at the coldest. It should get a bit colder yet but not that much more. Maybe 8 or 10C on a cold day. The summers can be pretty hot....up to 40C...but it ain't that much all the time. Usually in the low to mid 30's.

The people are, on the whole open and friendly, and there's a lot more space than in England. Melbourne is a 24 hour city if you want that sort of thing with good beaches not too far away. Victoria is a diverse state with beautiful mountain ranges and stunning coastlines. The pace of living is slower than in England. And because of the weather, there's loads of outside activities happening all year round.

On the down side....err....give me a bit longer here to experience some down sides.

More temperate still is Tasmania, which by all accounts, is really beautiful although I've never been there. And if weather is a really big issue, there's always New Zealand

Life's life wherever you go and you'll hit all the up's and down's and have all the everyday problems that you do in England. But saying that, I'm happier here than I was for a long time in England.

Carl
Old May 19th 2005, 9:35 am
Mad Bint

Platty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Good - You might be able to get PR here
Bad - You sound like you are grasping at any country that will have you

Cheers,
Matt
Yep I agree, but we would definately do as much research as possible to make sure that it's the right decision.
Old May 19th 2005, 9:38 am
ABCDiamond

The only thing that's really put us off is the heat, how unbearable can it be?
Make sure you check out areas VERY carefully and don't rely to much on generalisations that you may read.

I used to live in Sydney, and assumed that Brisbane would be hotter, but when we moved up here, we actually found that our new location in the Brisbane area is not as Hot as the area in the west of Sydney that we were living was.

It does sound like Melbourne may the place for you to check out though

Old May 19th 2005, 9:38 am
Mad Bint

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You do realise that parts of canada can hit -47C in winter? and that you have to buy a speacial gadget so you can start your car in the morning (if you can drive it thru 4 feet of snow and ice that is?

Have you thought your rejections from canada were really maybe God being kind?
Hehehe we actually not all that bothered about the cold mind you we've never experienced that amount of cold We both love the snow and can't imagine eating turkey at xmas when its 40c outside
Old May 19th 2005, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Yep I agree, but we would definately do as much research as possible to make sure that it's the right decision.
So what appealed about Canada? The wide open spaces? The climate? The people? The snazzy Mounties uniforms?

Why is Oz calling to you? It's a nice place, I like it (and I'd never visited before I took the plunge) but I couldn't say I was hankering after the country ...

So, the get to the point (and I do ramble sometimes) ... why do you want to leave familiar surroundings, family and friends?
Old May 19th 2005, 9:55 am
Mad Bint

We thought it was a good place to bring up our daughter.

Most people are openminded and very friendly, cheaper to buy a house (We can't even afford a house where we live) and live generally. The scenery is gorgeous especially in Vancouver and the country is so vast that if you don't like it where you are you can move and get something different.

It's a more outdoorsy way of life and our daughter would love it My husband would probably say you can get alot faster speeds on the internet too

Both H and myself are not enormously bothered about leaving our families as we are not that close. As for friends we can make new ones (Although I will be missing my best mate).

Australia is not calling to me as such but with all our concentration on Canada I wonder if we've overlooked it.

Last edited by Platty; May 19th 2005 at 9:58 am.
Old May 19th 2005, 9:59 am
Account Closed

We thought it was a good place to bring up our daughter.

Most people are openminded and very friendly, cheaper to buy a house (We can't even afford a house where we live) and live generally. The scenery is gorgeous especially in Vancouver and the country is so vast that if you don't like it where you are you can move and get something different.

It's a more outdoorsy way of life and our daughter would love it My husband would probably say you can get alot faster speeds on the internet too
There's space here, I have no doubts it's a pretty good place to bring up my young 'un ... depends on what you want from the climate as to where you'd like to settle, lots of variation here.

Scenery and general attitude is good too, I love the place.
Old May 19th 2005, 10:03 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

what do you do for jobs?
that may make a difference to where you would settle.......?

sue
Old May 19th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hehehe we actually not all that bothered about the cold mind you we've never experienced that amount of cold We both love the snow and can't imagine eating turkey at xmas when its 40c outside
who says we all eat turkey at Xmas!!! cold meat and salad for us - no more slaving over a hot stove for hours on a day when you should be enjoying the family!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.