Reload this Page >

Should I use a migration agent ? /General advice

Should I use a migration agent ? /General advice

Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

MikeF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I use a migration agent ? /General advice

Hi Everyone,

I have read the FAQ section but I would still like peoples advice about whether I should use a migration agent. I am applying for skilled migration. I have been quoted a fee of £2000 as a fee only by a migration agent which to me sounds quite a lot of money plus all the other costs to be paid to Australia. Could a take it on myself ? If I try and fail how much would I loose ? I have taken a skills assessment and passed. Could anyone please give me advice. I live in Aberdeen, UK. How long would it take ? If I do need to use a migration agent, cannot anyone recommend a good one ?

Thanks

Mike
Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should I use a migration agent ? /General advice

Originally posted by MikeF
Hi Everyone,

I have read the FAQ section but I would still like peoples advice about whether I should use a migration agent. I am applying for skilled migration. I have been quoted a fee of £2000 as a fee only by a migration agent which to me sounds quite a lot of money plus all the other costs to be paid to Australia. Could a take it on myself ? If I try and fail how much would I loose ? I have taken a skills assessment and passed. Could anyone please give me advice. I live in Aberdeen, UK. How long would it take ? If I do need to use a migration agent, cannot anyone recommend a good one ?

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike
not sure if you should take it on yourself but if you have passed the skills assessment then i think that is the hardest part, people on here are great and offer lots of support and advice!
we are using Global Visas who aren't bad and they offer a 'no visa, no fee' policy! we have sent off our main app. to them today!
the fee they are charging is £875 up front then another £700 ish on getting the visa, not too bad i don't think that is of course without all the other charges (dimia fee, meds. police checks, certifying docs etc.)
good luck with whatever you decide
rach
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MikeF
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Mike
If you are definate on your points and there are no grey areas you can do it yourself. If you consider yourself borderline and have not got much time use an agent.

To make your decision read all the DIMIA documentation back to front look up ptlabs faq. People here will answer your questions and help you gain enough confidence. On the immigration forum George Lombard and Alan Collett offer excellent advice and might have answered a lot of the questions you have already. The 2 are DIMIA registered immigration agents and have excellent reviews.

The other reason for using good agents is that they present the case in a manner that a case officer may find easier to process. This might decrease processing time but is certainly not guaranteed.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:18 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Rach,

I am generally puzzled as to why people engage migration agents who are not registered. There is little or no leverage you can bring to bear if things go wrong (there is no regulatory body overseeing the agent's activities) and no requirement to adhere to a Code of Conduct that (for example) requires the agent to operate suitable a client money policy when operating a no visa = no fee policy.

In the foreseeable future (and if all the contents of a recent report into the migration advice profession presented to the Australian Government are adopted) I believe the Department of Immigration will stop accepting visa applications from those who are not registered with them/the MARA in some capacity. Indeed, as someone who has been required to pass exams in Australian migration law, who is required to attend courses each year to maintain my professional knowledge/competence, and who is subject to a fairly onerous Code of Conduct I look forward to that day.

Best regards.

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi Mike
not sure if you should take it on yourself but if you have passed the skills assessment then i think that is the hardest part, people on here are great and offer lots of support and advice!
we are using Global Visas who aren't bad and they offer a 'no visa, no fee' policy! we have sent off our main app. to them today!
the fee they are charging is £875 up front then another £700 ish on getting the visa, not too bad i don't think that is of course without all the other charges (dimia fee, meds. police checks, certifying docs etc.)
good luck with whatever you decide
rach
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Rach,

I am generally puzzled as to why people engage migration agents who are not registered. There is little or no leverage you can bring to bear if things go wrong (there is no regulatory body overseeing the agent's activities) and no requirement to adhere to a Code of Conduct that (for example) requires the agent to operate suitable a client money policy when operating a no visa = no fee policy.

In the foreseeable future (and if all the contents of a recent report into the migration advice profession presented to the Australian Government are adopted) I believe the Department of Immigration will stop accepting visa applications from those who are not registered with them/the MARA in some capacity. Indeed, as someone who has been required to pass exams in Australian migration law, who is required to attend courses each year to maintain my professional knowledge/competence, and who is subject to a fairly onerous Code of Conduct I look forward to that day.

Best regards.
I take it from your comments that Global Visas is not registered with DIMIA.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

Hiya

I used an agent (registered) and was generally pretty pleased with the results. Took a lot of the hassle out of the whole process, from skills assessment right through to getting the actual visa. Fees were £975 excluding visa, medical fees, etc. so your £2000 seems a bit pricey. I've seen posts on this forum that have quoted lower fees than this.

It's a lot of money but for me it was worth it as the pass mark for the points system changed (started with 5 points clear, ended up with 5 points short!) before I got my application in and the agent came up with several alternative courses of action that I probably wouldn't have been aware of.

In the end it's a choice: agent = less hassle, do-it-yourself = more money left in your pocket!

Steve.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Well said Alan!!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:53 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bondi.

=> Firms aren't registered - individuals are.
=> Registration of migration agents on Australian visa matters is with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (www.themara.com.au)

So far as I know (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the firm you have mentioned employs no individuals registered with the MARA.

Best regards.

Originally posted by bondipom
I take it from your comments that Global Visas is not registered with DIMIA.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:01 am
owieb

Hi bondi.

=> Registration of migration agents on Australian visa matters is with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (www.themara.com.au)

So far as I know (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the firm you have mentioned employs no individuals registered with the MARA.

Best regards.
That's interesting that the firms themselves aren't registered. I had a look at the website for the company in question and they mention that they are members of OISC.

Does this mean 'doodle-squat' when it comes to Australian immigration?

Maybe there should be a new post that explains what the benefits are of having a MARA agent?

I know when I was looking for an agent I was recommended to use a MARA one, and I have been really pleased with the service.

Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi bondi.

Best regards.
I used an individual who is registered with MARA. He was helpful enough until he received his fees - he then ignored all further contact from me, answers to my questions were left to his secretary. I don't object to paying high fees if I receive a high level of service - but, frankly, I was conned. I'm still waiting to hear from him that I've got my visa.

Check out just what MARA registration covers you for. You'll find it ain't much. Best to go with an agent who others have employed and subsequently recommended.

Alan
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:16 am
Migration Agent

My understanding is that the OISC oversees advisors in the UK who are advising as to immigration into the UK.

In other words they are the equivalent body to the MARA in Australia.

Best regards.

Originally posted by owieb
That's interesting that the firms themselves aren't registered. I had a look at the website for the company in question and they mention that they are members of OISC.

Does this mean 'doodle-squat' when it comes to Australian immigration?

Maybe there should be a new post that explains what the benefits are of having a MARA agent?

I know when I was looking for an agent I was recommended to use a MARA one, and I have been really pleased with the service.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi

We found our agent from this website: http://www.mia.org.au/
Ours is based in Brisbane and they were really great. However, there are some excellent agents that post on here - maybe you could try one of those.

Debs
Old Oct 15th 2003, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that the OISC oversees advisors in the UK who are advising as to immigration into the UK.

In other words they are the equivalent body to the MARA in Australia.

Best regards.

Hi Alan
thanks for your posts, maybe in hindsight we should have checked this out first before employing global visas, but we didn't and all we can hope for that we won't need to try to use their 'no visa, no fee' policy! To be honest we didn't realise that they aren't registered until we completed form 47sk and was asked for their registration number!
best regards
rach
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:58 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

BEWARE!!

There are a lot of sharks swimming in the immigration waters. We have had an expensive and unpleasant experience. Go with an agent only if you get personal recommendations. Quite honestly, if you have a straightforward application, an agent does not really save much work - you still have to collate and provide all the data, although he might be able to guide you.

I wish we'd come into thiss forum before we did - it would have saved a lot of aggro.

Take care!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Agents

I agree with all comments. We've used Concept Australia and i can't fault them but there were a few sharks trying to get our money without going through the whole process first.
Cost for Concept £600 approx + usual med fees dima fee etc.
We've only lodged a couple of posts but the information on all subjects that you can get here is first class.
cheers
Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.