Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Take the Redundancy Package

Should I Take the Redundancy Package

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Post Should I Take the Redundancy Package

My company announced a redundancy package 2 weeks ago, and were looking for volunteers. Obviously they said it would be an attractive package, versus a non attractrive if they have to make it compulsory. I was in 2 minds, as we had lodged our application late September 04, and the feeling is Post July are getting through the process alot quicker. This week we decided to have our X-rays done unrequested, as i felt this could be the stumbling block for us. The X-rays were fine, so i went to see my boss, and asked if i were to apply, what is the deal. I've been offered a years salary.

My plan was to get the visa sometime next year, and finally leave UK with Family in August time frame. If i take the money and the visa come through as planned, then this deal is brilliant. Stay at home for 8 months or shorter getting paid,and still have some money left over to take with us. But if the visa draggs on like the Pre-July people, then i could be waiting another 12-18 months for visa, and have no job, and money runs out.

I have yet to give my final decision, but they are putting pressure on me now. Very difficult to leave a stable job, and have no concrete information from Australia.

I will let you know what happens.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should I Take the Redundancy Package

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
My company announced a redundancy package 2 weeks ago, and were looking for volunteers. Obviously they said it would be an attractive package, versus a non attractrive if they have to make it compulsory. I was in 2 minds, as we had lodged our application late September 04, and the feeling is Post July are getting through the process alot quicker. This week we decided to have our X-rays done unrequested, as i felt this could be the stumbling block for us. The X-rays were fine, so i went to see my boss, and asked if i were to apply, what is the deal. I've been offered a years salary.

My plan was to get the visa sometime next year, and finally leave UK with Family in August time frame. If i take the money and the visa come through as planned, then this deal is brilliant. Stay at home for 8 months or shorter getting paid,and still have some money left over to take with us. But if the visa draggs on like the Pre-July people, then i could be waiting another 12-18 months for visa, and have no job, and money runs out.

I have yet to give my final decision, but they are putting pressure on me now. Very difficult to leave a stable job, and have no concrete information from Australia.

Definitely take it!!!!!!!!!!!!! No questions asked! A whole years pay would see you through and if you dont get the visa in time ( worst case scenario) you could still get a short contract or another job ( what do you do?)
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:21 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

A whole years salary!!!
grab it and run like bloody hell!!
seriously though, would you be able to find work if your visa didnt come through in the next 6 months or so?
It sounds like a good deal!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Take the money, a redundancy payment is Tax free so you will get the equiv of over a years salary in take home terms. Especially good if you are in the 40% bracket.
Get a low stress easy job in the mean time to pay the mortgage.

I took a 6 month redundancy deal 11 years ago, it took me 10 weeks to find another job but I never regretted it for a moment, it would have taken 10 years to save that kind of money.

Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:36 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I'd take it too.....BMW offered us lot VR a week after I handed my notice in! I listened to the HR girls who said they needed a month to sort everything out even though we only had to give two weeks notice. Guess they knew what was coming up.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

A year's redundancy is worth a lot more than a years salary - no tax to on the first £30,000 ! As Stevep mentioned, if you are a 40% tax payer it is even more valuable. I'd take it if I were you.

best of luck
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the advise so far. I have already caluclated in the 30K tax bracket, and the remainder is paid at 40%. The total package with Tax calculations and holiday pay owed, is 1 years salary. I work as a Corporate Sales Manager, so i assume getting another job if needed, should be no problem.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:29 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the advise so far. I have already caluclated in the 30K tax bracket, and the remainder is paid at 40%. The total package with Tax calculations and holiday pay owed, is 1 years salary. I work as a Corporate Sales Manager, so i assume getting another job if needed, should be no problem.

Take it, won't be long before you hear something from DIMIA.
Sarah
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teach
Take it, won't be long before you hear something from DIMIA.
Sarah
Sarah,
Nice to hear from you. I hope we get something soon, nerves are destroying me. Really want a cigarette now
Old Oct 29th 2004, 11:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bite their hands off. Even if the visa is delayed a bit, not a problem. You may not want to take an equivalent job when you won't be staying long, but you could always find a part time job to keep your brain going and some money coming in and keep the redundancy as back up.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Take it, take it, take it!! I was offered redundancy also back in April, but only signed my formal offer a couple of days ago. I'm only getting 3 weeks pay for every year (7 1/2 years in total), and as I work for an airline concessions for 2 years. Your financial offer is far better, but just think what you could do with the dosh. A lovely lump sum, to help get you over and set you up! Mine's getting all our stuff over and our cats!I finish in just over 4 weeks and can't wait.We're hoping to go at end of Jan, but waiting for mr logan's visa (136 credit card debited 11th october).
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by logan
Take it, take it, take it!! I was offered redundancy also back in April, but only signed my formal offer a couple of days ago. I'm only getting 3 weeks pay for every year (7 1/2 years in total), and as I work for an airline concessions for 2 years. Your financial offer is far better, but just think what you could do with the dosh. A lovely lump sum, to help get you over and set you up! Mine's getting all our stuff over and our cats!I finish in just over 4 weeks and can't wait.We're hoping to go at end of Jan, but waiting for mr logan's visa (136 credit card debited 11th october).
Logan,
Thanks for your advise. I know i should take it, but fear keeps pulling me back. Your a little behind us in the process, and your very optomistic about getting visa in time for Jan. I wish you all the best, in your redundancy and getting Visa in time.

Regards

Chris
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:17 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Take the package !!!!

Plus once you arrive here sales jobs are 10 a penny. As a sales manager you will have no problems getting work in Perth.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Take the package !!!!

Plus once you arrive here sales jobs are 10 a penny. As a sales manager you will have no problems getting work in Perth.
Good to hear that work should be no problem when i arrive.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:49 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Take it, Hubby recently signed his redundancy agreement he has been with the company for over 20 years so will get 27 months salary and being in 40% tax bracket means that it is a very valuable package. Unfortunatley he is under 40 and a lot of the old boys are a head of him on the list, we are hoping that it comes down to him.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

ACE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.