Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go (& where)?

Should I stay or should I go (& where)?

Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should I stay or should I go (& where)?

Hello! This is my first post. My wife and I (plus our now 7 year old daughter) spent 3 months down under 18 months ago and ever since my wife has been pressing me to emigrate. Australia (& NZ & Singapore) were fantastic places and I am sure I could be happy there but I am not unhappy in the UK. In recent months we have done some investigation and, mainly as I am accountant we know we can get in. We have checked out a lot of facts which keep confirming there is no reason NOT to go but it still doesn't help me make a decision. How do you make such a life changing decision???
As a second question, if I knew where to go to it might be easier. It would probably be a choice between Melbourne (sports, culture, work) and Adelaide (smaller, less stress - and we have a relation there). I am probably kidding myself if I think I will be watching all the motor sports at Philip Island, MCG etc but it sounds great. I live 25 miles from Birmingham today and never go there! So maybe Adelaide where we can count on some family support, but then that feels a little like going into semi-retirement at 35! Answers to this question and the meaning of life would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go (& where)?

Answer to the Meaning of Life....42

Answer to the rest of the post (as I should be in bed, but will write more tomorrow) - spend a few hours browsing this forum, read the good, the bad and the indifferent posts. Look at Oz without rose-tinted specs, and when you see posts from those of us that live here, believe what we are writing - we aren't trying to put anyone off when we seem negative, just trying to give a real picture of life down here.

Then throw us some more questions!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
Hello! This is my first post. My wife and I (plus our now 7 year old daughter) spent 3 months down under 18 months ago and ever since my wife has been pressing me to emigrate. Australia (& NZ & Singapore) were fantastic places and I am sure I could be happy there but I am not unhappy in the UK. In recent months we have done some investigation and, mainly as I am accountant we know we can get in. We have checked out a lot of facts which keep confirming there is no reason NOT to go but it still doesn't help me make a decision. How do you make such a life changing decision???
As a second question, if I knew where to go to it might be easier. It would probably be a choice between Melbourne (sports, culture, work) and Adelaide (smaller, less stress - and we have a relation there). I am probably kidding myself if I think I will be watching all the motor sports at Philip Island, MCG etc but it sounds great. I live 25 miles from Birmingham today and never go there! So maybe Adelaide where we can count on some family support, but then that feels a little like going into semi-retirement at 35! Answers to this question and the meaning of life would be much appreciated.
Hi and Welcome,

Any particular reasons that your wife would rather live in Oz? I mean, there's nothing wrong with just having itchy feet and wanting to give something a go (life's too short and all that) but you shouldn't underestimate what you'd be leaving behind.

A wise poster here once quoted "The grass may be greener but you still have to mow it" and I'm bearing that in mind as I get closer to moving.

Good luck with the decision-making, it's a nice dilemma to have

Cheers,
Matt
Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

My reply would be:

If you need to ask, why bother ?

If you are happy with your lot as you say you are, there's no reason to go.

If it ain't broken...

Three Legs

Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:54 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Hi and Welcome,

Any particular reasons that your wife would rather live in Oz? I mean, there's nothing wrong with just having itchy feet and wanting to give something a go (life's too short and all that) but you shouldn't underestimate what you'd be leaving behind.

A wise poster here once quoted "The grass may be greener but you still have to mow it" and I'm bearing that in mind as I get closer to moving.

Good luck with the decision-making, it's a nice dilemma to have

Cheers,
Matt
My wife had the opportunity to go to Aus when she was 18 but chickened out and she still regrets it. The usual stuff like weather, friendliness are obviously factors. The other point is that with the equity in our house and cheaper living out there she could afford to give up work, possibly have another baby (clock is ticking). Not a reason to go I know, but I don't think we could afford to do that here
Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
My wife had the opportunity to go to Aus when she was 18 but chickened out and she still regrets it. The usual stuff like weather, friendliness are obviously factors. The other point is that with the equity in our house and cheaper living out there she could afford to give up work, possibly have another baby (clock is ticking). Not a reason to go I know, but I don't think we could afford to do that here
I shall leave it up to more knowledgeable people to comment on the cost of living but from what I've read (by no means definitive!) it all pretty much evens out.

Better to try and fail than to regret forever maybe? Do you have a particular liking for living in the UK? Personally, here's what I think I'll miss:
- Family and friends
- Temperate climate
- Country Pubs
- Windy country lanes
- Maybe cultural things like sense of humour and "Britishness", maybe not.

I speak from ignorance but I do know I'll miss more stuff than I can think of now when I'm gone. But the benefits for me outwiegh the losses so ...

(edit) As for friendliness, I'm not commenting there!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:05 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Here's my advice:

Spend a day imagining that you *HAVE* to leave the UK & go to Australia - keep this thought in your mind as you go through the day. How do you feel at the end of the day, knowing your day will never be the same...?

Then spend another day imagining that someone has told you it is impossible for you to go to Australia - you can't go, you must stay in the UK. How does this make you feel?

If you feel relieved at the thought of not being able to go to Oz, or upset about the thought of having to leave the UK, then perhaps going to Australia is not the best choice for you. On the other hand, if you feel disappointed at the thought of not being able to go (or excited at the thought of leaving the UK) then go for it!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Check out previous threads on cost of living. Apparently if you are on holiday with British pounds then Australia is cheap but if you are living there and earning Aussie dollars then it's not.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:08 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saraliz
Here's my advice:

Then spend another day imagining that someone has told you it is impossible for you to go to Australia - you can't go, you must stay in the UK. How does this make you feel?

!

This is what I have been going through today (see my earlier post) and it is an awful feeling. I now know that 100% we are making the right decision..lets just hope we can still go now.