Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Wikiposts

Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:16 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Why??
(in response to a comment by Ulujain:
The biggest illegal immigrant population in Australia are British citizens.
)
If that statistic is true, which it might well be, it is because British citizens make up one of the largest groups of temporary visitors to Australia - perhaps even the largest. (New Zealanders can stay in Australia indefinitely with few formalities, so that group is irrelevant to this point.)

Much more significant than the numbers are the proportions of various incoming groups that remain illegally in the country after their permission to stay has expired.

Last edited by CPW; Jul 9th 2004 at 4:18 am.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:27 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Originally posted by dot_com
Work is fortunately not an issue. I run an internet company over here so everything is done on the trusty laptop. I'll carry on just the same but have the money squirted into my BOQ account. Who gets the tax? Well I haven't decided yet
Speaking as someone in a vaguely similar position, I've been researching this, and so far I've got the strong impression that "who gets the tax" is not for you to decide, but is something that the two relevant tax offices agree between them. In fact I would say that it's highly likely that you (and I) will be paying Oz tax. Unless you've got some fancy offshore arrangement, that is!

(Admittedly this depends on your residency status. Are you going permanently, and will you be mostly resident there?)

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Jul 9th 2004 at 4:31 am.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi DC
Just thought I would say welcome, and when you get to Bundy go to the Hogs breath Cafe (if its still there) for me - I worked there as a waitress about 10 years ago!!
All the Best
Jana
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Bundaberg is an area where houses are still very cheap, thats because of very high unemployment but as you say your job is already sorted so great. Bundaberg is a good 4 hours north of Brisbane and past the areas where you will get surf beaches. Sub tropical climate so hot summers with humidity but dry sunny winters.

Concerns about Bundaberg, firstly most kids there dont have much of a future, jobs, so many do turn into the pot smoking car revving hoons. Its a small town mentality, many kids who do stay marry and breed young. Welfare side would be a shock compared to UK where jobs are easy to come by, you will notice the unemployed class who accept that is their lot for life. I cant explain it but its the sort of place where they know you are not a local and make that known. But plenty of outsiders are moving up there for the cheap housing.

If you like a quiet life its probably fine, one thing is you really could still buy an acre, house and pool for under $300,000. If your jobs in your computer and you dont like it you can always move elsewhere, but dont expect anywhere here to be free of the UK's problems.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point

HELLO DOT COM,
WELCOME TO THE FORUM,I THINK I CAN SAFELY SAY I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AND ALL THE QUESTIONS THAT ARE GOING THROUGH YOUR MIND.THE ONLY ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO READ THE POSTS I HAVE PUT IN AND ALL THE REPLIES TO THEM,THEY ARE ALL GOOD AND PERHAPS THEY WILL HELP YOU TO DECIDE IF MIGRATING IS FOR YOU OR NOT.
IF YOU LOOK UP "YOUR EXPERIENCES APPRECIATED" ON HERE AND THEN GO ONTO :RETURNING TO THE UK: AND LOOK FOR "PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE HELP"
HOPE THIS HELPS,THE ONLY OTHER ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS THE PEOPLE IT DIDN'T WORK OUT FOR WILL HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES TO YOU SO DON'T BE SWAYED BY THE THINGS THEY SAY,LIKEWISE FOR THE PEOPLE IT DID WORK OUT FOR.WHAT IT WILL DO IS MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT THINGS YOU PREVIOUSLY HADN'T.BEST OF LUCK,HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:29 am
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi DC,

Couldn't have put it better myself, I wish you and your family the best of luck.

We have been armed forces for 15 years and been travelling abroad a lot. We have always looked forward to coming back home to England.

5 Years ago we bought a house and thought right this is it, but we have not been very happy, it has not lived up to our memories of England that we remeber with happy thoughts.

We have an 11 year old daughter and like you we want the best for her, I really believe that the best for her is not England, so we move to Tasmania in 15 days time.

Good luck to you and your family

Christine
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point

SORRY MATE,I GOT MY WIRES CROSSED,PLEASE...HELP IS ON THIS TOPIC ON PAGE 7 AND YOUR EXPERIENCE APPRECIATED IS ON MOVING BACK TO THE UK TOPIC,CHEERS
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Hi all .... well I'm off to Bundaberg in August with wife and kids in tow to have another crack at 'life'. Whilst sitting here contemplating the ups and downs of the next few months I thought I'd share a few thoughts with you!

Suprisingly enough up until March last year I'd never been to Australia, never expected to go, and never had any desire to go! Similarly, my wife (who IS Australian) came to the UK when she was 11 and had absolutely no wish to return. Now here we are in our 30's, dissallusioned with the UK and sitting in our living room surrounded by packed boxes getting ready to jet off!

Have we made the right choice? Do we abandon the UK? Is it the 'right' thing to desert what I feel is nothing more than a sinking ship?

Well all I can say is this: I've always been proud to be British and considered myself lucky to have been born here. When I was growing up throughout the 70's and 80's I think UK life was pretty great. But now for the first time in my life I hear myself saying "Things were better back then" and that scares me, especially when I'm only 35! I can't believe how the UK has changed over the past 15 years or so and now I have a 7 year old daughter I'm even more concerned about what the future holds. House Prices / Youth Culture / Traffic / Immigration / Crime to name but a few!

In some respects I do feel like a traitor for emigrating, but ultimately l am just one man trying to raise his family in the best possible environment. Life is too short so we've taken the plunge and are going. Will it work out? I'll keep you posted.

No doubt Australia has its fair share of issues but hey! if the worlds going down the toilet then I'm going down nicely tanned and with my shades on!

To all of you who are leaving the UK for a new life down under, I wish you Good Luck. Also, for all those who are staying behind - Good Luck!

DC
Hi,

We're off to Melbourne soon, and I could have written your post. The vast majority of the people we know, in our middle class circle of friends and neighbours, feel exactly the same way. I'm 43 so although it could be just my mid life crisis ;-) I don't really think so. We have two daughters 6 and 8 and I shudder at the thought of them growing up here. We're always being told by the liberal left that things are being blown out of proportion by the right wing press, and while the press it not allways totally honest (cough), enough of us are seeing the changes in this country with our own eyes. My wife was mugged about 2 years ago for example (not hurt much fortunately), but I guess most people know of someone that something has happened to these days. The police never caught the git and didn't show that much interest really. We actually decided to go after we went on holiday to San-Francisco and Yosemite park in the US. We got back here and have felt like jammed in sardines ever since. This country IS overcrowded, and OZ seems like the best way to avoiding that problem and the other things. As for feeling like a traitor? our politicians have betraid us so I have no problem leaving them and the asylum seekers to sort the problems out :-)

Good Luck with your move.

BB.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is currently an age limit of 25 to claim Australian citizenship by descent (ie an application must be made before one's 25th birthday). Why doesn't your son apply now? - there is no need to intend to live in Australia.

The Government is proposing to remove the age limit, but that's just proposed legislation and currently there is little sympathy for those who leave it too late to apply.

If he's over 18 he will need to supply police checks to become an Australian citizen as there is a requirement that an applicant be of 'good character'

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your reply. My wife, after alot of form filling!, has dual citizenship and we have just received our daughters citizenship by descent certificate. Our older son is staying in the UK to complete his studies but I believe he must claim citizenship by descent before 25?

DC
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Most 'illegal' British citizens in Australia go home after a few months (maybe after just sitting out the northern winter in Australia). They get replaced by other 'short-term' illegals. I'm not justifying this, just making a point.

The number of *long term* illegals in Australia from the UK is very low.

Jeremy

Originally posted by CPW
If that statistic is true, which it might well be, it is because British citizens make up one of the largest groups of temporary visitors to Australia - perhaps even the largest. (New Zealanders can stay in Australia indefinitely with few formalities, so that group is irrelevant to this point.)

Much more significant than the numbers are the proportions of various incoming groups that remain illegally in the country after their permission to stay has expired.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

House Prices / Youth Culture / Traffic / Immigration / Crime to name but a few!
Immigrants? The place is packed with immigrants. The difference is they are Welcome!

My wife works with a volunteer refugee support group. Whenever more volunteers are needed the organisation is flooded with more applicants than they have families to support. Imagine having to apply to be a volunteer.

These refugees are awesome people. Their optimism is so humbling and infectious. I am grateful they have tried so hard to get here. A 12 year old Afghan girl speaking to a crowded room in her second language told us "My mum wants me to be a doctor, my brother wants me to be a lawyer; I want to be a pilot!"

Unlike the British tabloids, don't bag illegals till you have got to know people from similar backgrounds. And if they get a bit of a kick start in the beginning, they pay it back several fold.

Australian thrives because of its immigrant new blood. And we are smart enough to know it. Up there, Cazaly!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:53 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JAJ
Most 'illegal' British citizens in Australia go home after a few months (maybe after just sitting out the northern winter in Australia). They get replaced by other 'short-term' illegals. I'm not justifying this, just making a point.

The number of *long term* illegals in Australia from the UK is very low.

Jeremy
The law makes no distinction. They are in the country illegally if they overstay a second or a year. Like you, I'm making a point.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:55 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Oh, and BTW, Forum Moderation 101, if you're going to delete somebody's post, make sure no-one's replied to it first.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all .... well I'm off to Bundaberg in

House Prices / Youth Culture / Traffic / Immigration / Crime to name but a few!

In some respects I do feel like a traitor for emigrating, but ultimately l am just one man trying to raise his family in the best possible environment.

No doubt Australia has its fair share of issues but hey! if the worlds going down the toilet then I'm going down nicely tanned and with my shades on!

DC
Bundaberg. Wasn't that the place a pommie got lobbed off a bridge and got killed.

Now the sugar industry is going I am not sure of the employment/crime stats future.

Think of other reasons to go to Oz other than sun. Just for the adventure is good enough but that scares the hell out of those with families and a social scene.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 2:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bundaberg. Wasn't that the place a pommie got lobbed off a bridge and got killed
Yeah it was, Caroline Stuttle, or something like that? Brit backpacker, went out to make a phone call and they reckon she got mugged and thrown into the river.

I know its daft, but a tragic event does colour your impression of a town, doesn't it. When I say I lived in Brighton for 20 eyars most people talk about the stoney beach, but I actuallymet someone the other day who remembered an Aussie tourist dying there after she fell of some railings at that overcrowded beach concert a couple of years ago. Said she'd never want to visit Brighton because of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.