Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Wikiposts

Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:04 pm
Just Browsing!

dot_com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Hi all .... well I'm off to Bundaberg in August with wife and kids in tow to have another crack at 'life'. Whilst sitting here contemplating the ups and downs of the next few months I thought I'd share a few thoughts with you!

Suprisingly enough up until March last year I'd never been to Australia, never expected to go, and never had any desire to go! Similarly, my wife (who IS Australian) came to the UK when she was 11 and had absolutely no wish to return. Now here we are in our 30's, dissallusioned with the UK and sitting in our living room surrounded by packed boxes getting ready to jet off!

Have we made the right choice? Do we abandon the UK? Is it the 'right' thing to desert what I feel is nothing more than a sinking ship?

Well all I can say is this: I've always been proud to be British and considered myself lucky to have been born here. When I was growing up throughout the 70's and 80's I think UK life was pretty great. But now for the first time in my life I hear myself saying "Things were better back then" and that scares me, especially when I'm only 35! I can't believe how the UK has changed over the past 15 years or so and now I have a 7 year old daughter I'm even more concerned about what the future holds. House Prices / Youth Culture / Traffic / Immigration / Crime to name but a few!

In some respects I do feel like a traitor for emigrating, but ultimately l am just one man trying to raise his family in the best possible environment. Life is too short so we've taken the plunge and are going. Will it work out? I'll keep you posted.

No doubt Australia has its fair share of issues but hey! if the worlds going down the toilet then I'm going down nicely tanned and with my shades on!

To all of you who are leaving the UK for a new life down under, I wish you Good Luck. Also, for all those who are staying behind - Good Luck!

DC
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:07 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Originally posted by dot_com
Hi all .... well I'm off to Bundaberg in August with wife and kids in tow to have another crack at 'life'. Whilst sitting here contemplating the ups and downs of the next few months I thought I'd share a few thoughts with you!

Suprisingly enough up until March last year I'd never been to Australia, never expected to go, and never had any desire to go! Similarly, my wife (who IS Australian) came to the UK when she was 11 and had absolutely no wish to return. Now here we are in our 30's, dissallusioned with the UK and sitting in our living room surrounded by packed boxes getting ready to jet off!

Have we made the right choice? Do we abandon the UK? Is it the 'right' thing to desert what I feel is nothing more than a sinking ship?

Well all I can say is this: I've always been proud to be British and considered myself lucky to have been born here. When I was growing up throughout the 70's and 80's I think UK life was pretty great. But now for the first time in my life I hear myself saying "Things were better back then" and that scares me, especially when I'm only 35! I can't believe how the UK has changed over the past 15 years or so and now I have a 7 year old daughter I'm even more concerned about what the future holds. House Prices / Youth Culture / Traffic / Immigration / Crime to name but a few!

In some respects I do feel like a traitor for emigrating, but ultimately l am just one man trying to raise his family in the best possible environment. Life is too short so we've taken the plunge and are going. Will it work out? I'll keep you posted.

No doubt Australia has its fair share of issues but hey! if the worlds going down the toilet then I'm going down nicely tanned and with my shades on!

To all of you who are leaving the UK for a new life down under, I wish you Good Luck. Also, for all those who are staying behind - Good Luck!

DC
Hi

I can relate to most of that so good luck with whatever decisions you make or have made.

Walla
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

DC
Welcome to the forum Dot com.
Good luck in Australia.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:16 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all .... well I'm off to Bundaberg in August with wife and kids in tow to have another crack at 'life'.

With respect, your "I don't like the UK cos of x,y and z" ain't a good reason to emigrate in my opinion. Also at 35 (not unlike me) your view of the England of your youth is tainted by childish memories; remember the three day week, the power cuts, the rubbish left out? - no, neither do I, it was all hot summers and playing outside not even knowing that friendly "uncle" who gave you sweets was some sort of pervert.

None the less, the tone of you post tells me you are ready, give Oz a go, I think you'll find it fine...

Jayr (owner of a seven and three year old)
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:23 pm
maggy

Welcome to the forum and good luck

Mags

Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife hasn't got British citizenship, she may want to consider naturalisation, as this will keep open her options in the UK (if you make use of UK tax concessions for non-domiciled individuals then look at your tax position and get professional advice on the impact naturalisation may have - this is usually only a concern for the wealty). See http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk for information on naturalisation.

Has your daughter been registered as an Australian citizen by descent?

Jeremy

Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:47 pm
Just Browsing!

Originally posted by jayr
With respect, your "I don't like the UK cos of x,y and z" ain't a good reason to emigrate in my opinion. Also at 35 (not unlike me) your view of the England of your youth is tainted by childish memories; remember the three day week, the power cuts, the rubbish left out? - no, neither do I, it was all hot summers and playing outside not even knowing that friendly "uncle" who gave you sweets was some sort of pervert.

Thanks for the earlier reply jayr.

My view of the UK is based on recent times and is certainly not tainted by my childhood in the mid 70's. My reference was to the last 15 years, during which I and I assume you, were past teenage youth. I didn't spend much of my 20's playing outside and taking sweets from uncles!!!

If one's personal views on the current state of the UK are not enough to consider emigration then please, what is a good reason?

My priority is taking the best option I feel to secure what may be a better lifestyle for my daughter. I can't see what is wrong with that.

Kind regards,
DC
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:50 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

" If i do their will be trouble, if I stay it will be double"

Sorry but couldn't resist it - from a 34 year old also going down with her shades, firmly in place!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:54 pm
Just Browsing!

Originally posted by JAJ
If your wife hasn't got British citizenship, she may want to consider naturalisation, as this will keep open her options in the UK (if you make use of UK tax concessions for non-domiciled individuals then look at your tax position and get professional advice on the impact naturalisation may have - this is usually only a concern for the wealty). See http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk for information on naturalisation.

Has your daughter been registered as an Australian citizen by descent?

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your reply. My wife, after alot of form filling!, has dual citizenship and we have just received our daughters citizenship by descent certificate. Our older son is staying in the UK to complete his studies but I believe he must claim citizenship by descent before 25?

DC
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:00 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Our older son is staying in the UK to complete his studies but I believe he must claim citizenship by descent before 25?
As of now, yes, but the Australian Federal government has announced changes to the Citizenship Act that would remove the age limit (see http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/cam/...tute_07_04.htm for the text of a speech this week by the relevant government minister and http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/cam/...a04/h04128.htm for the official media release).

The changes have yet to come before parliament and they probably won't do so before the next election - which is due by November, I think. Even so, as it is likely that both major political parties would support the changes, it is likely that they will be enacted before very long, whichever party forms the next government.

Good luck with your move! Keep us posted.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

House Prices / Youth Culture / Traffic / Immigration / Crime to name but a few!
Hi there, I think that whilst you are leaving the UK to escape the above, you will find exactly the same probs exist in Australia.

But just as not all of those problems exist in all of the UK, not all those problems exist in all of Australia!!

Best of luck
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:17 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

hey! if the worlds going down the toilet then I'm going down nicely tanned and with my shades on!
I just luuuuuurrve this quote

Mairi
(Shades firmly in place but not yet tanned)
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:18 am
Just Browsing!

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi there, I think that whilst you are leaving the UK to escape the above, you will find exactly the same probs exist in Australia.

But just as not all of those problems exist in all of the UK, not all those problems exist in all of Australia!!

Best of luck
I am sure you are right. But things always seem better when the sun is shining and you have a full tank of petrol!

Regards.
DC
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:30 am
kong

I am sure you are right. But things always seem better when the sun is shining and you have a full tank of petrol!

Regards.
DC
Hehe, I owked as a zuchhinni (courgette)picker in Bundy. It pissed down solid all week, all us pickers were losing our boots in the swampy field, it was awful!!!

Seriously though, what work will you do, Bundy is pretty regional and a lot of the work there is fruit picking. I got paid 11 dollars an hour (about £4.20):scared:

Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:39 am
Just Browsing!

Originally posted by kong
Hehe, I owked as a zuchhinni (courgette)picker in Bundy. It pissed down solid all week, all us pickers were losing our boots in the swampy field, it was awful!!!

Seriously though, what work will you do, Bundy is pretty regional and a lot of the work there is fruit picking. I got paid 11 dollars an hour (about £4.20):scared:
Quite right, when it rains it RAINS in Bundy!

Work is fortunately not an issue. I run an internet company over here so everything is done on the trusty laptop. I'll carry on just the same but have the money squirted into my BOQ account. Who gets the tax? Well I haven't decided yet

DC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.