Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Wikiposts

Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:45 am
kong

House Prices.

In aus they are sky high, compared to local wages. Especially true in Syd and Melbourne. I see your going to Bundy, houses may look cheap, but so is the local labour. Aus house market is just like the UK, at the peak of a bubble. No first time buyers due on being unaffordable.

Youth Culture

Dont expect all Aussie kids to be sport playing wholesome little Brads and Jacintas. There are a lot of bored teens in Aus. Popular pastimes include smoking pot (bongs usually) drinking and bombing around in V8 tanks at all hours. Teenage pregnancies are pretty much in vogue.

Traffic

In the cities it is congested as in any country. Bundy will be quite though and the surrounding roads are very empty.

Immigration

Ok so Aus does not have as many illegals, this is due to its extreme isolation from the rest of the world. No Eurotunnel over there!! Still Aus has a very high Asian (orientals) population, especially in Sydney. Although even in Qld there are quite a few.

Crime

I believe that Aus has more violent crime per heah of pop that the UK. Petty crimes like stealing cars are commonplace too. A lot of burglary as well.

I would say go to Aus if you really want to be an Aussie and love Aus warts and all. Not because you perceive the Uk to be going down the plughole and you are going to find a better version 12000 miles away.

Dont read the daily mail do you??

Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:51 am
Peter

Default Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

The biggest illegal immigrant population in Australia are British
citizens.

What do you have against Asians, kong? Is that why you got
yourself repatriated? Too many of them for your liking?

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
The biggest illegal immigrant population in Australia are British citizens.

What do you have against Asians, kong? Is that why you got yourself repatriated? Too many of them for your liking?
I think you're reading something into that comment that isnt there.
The OP mentioned immigrants as a reason for leaving UK. The ref to Asians was surely just an explanation that Aus has a high Asian pop. I don't see any anti-Asian comment in there!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:00 am
kong

What do you have against Asians, kong? Is that why you got yourself repatriated? Too many of them for your liking?
That is a total mis quote Ulujain. I have NOTHING against Asians, where did I say I did?? I was simply drawing attention to the fact that Aus is not all white anglo-saxon. People often talk about immigrants in UK being a reason to leave. If people are scared of being near non whites, then Aus is not the place to go.

Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:37 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya DC!! A very warm welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a great attitude!
All I've got to say is GOOD ONYA!

Love that going down with a tan reference....coming from whitey herself (I am so white I'm almost translucent!)
I promise to try my best to go down with a tan...but may have to settle for a sunburn..LOL

Siren
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:40 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dot_com
Quite right, when it rains it RAINS in Bundy!

Work is fortunately not an issue. I run an internet company over here so everything is done on the trusty laptop. I'll carry on just the same but have the money squirted into my BOQ account. Who gets the tax? Well I haven't decided yet

DC

Was that BOQ account or BBQ account??
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Why??
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the earlier reply jayr.

If one's personal views on the current state of the UK are not enough to consider emigration then please, what is a good reason?

Kind regards,
DC

Look I just think that a desire to leave somehwere is quite diffferent to a desire to arrive somewhere.

For most of us we are never required to leave somwhere. Why is Oz the answer? It may be just the same. Though as I said, i think you'll be right. I don't normally say this to people but I feel you know what you are doing so go for it.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:39 am
Just Browsing!

dot_com is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Look I just think that a desire to leave somehwere is quite diffferent to a desire to arrive somewhere.

For most of us we are never required to leave somwhere. Why is Oz the answer? It may be just the same. Though as I said, i think you'll be right. I don't normally say this to people but I feel you know what you are doing so go for it.

Thanks jayr. Fingers crossed it'll work out.
If it doesn't then I will return and subsequently spend the next few weeks eating humble pie.

I have another question if anyone can help? We still haven't decided whether to ship the wifes car out to Oz. Its worth about £6k in value both here and Oz (99 Honda HRV). My concern is about the air conditioning regulations. Do I have to get the gases removed by a certain registered company? Do I need a certificate or something? I suppose this leads me to one other question - if I don't ship the car - how difficult is it to for my wife to obtain car finance if you are a newly landed Oz citizen who has been out of the country most of her life? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DC
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:44 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks jayr. Fingers crossed it'll work out.
If it doesn't then I will return and subsequently spend the next few weeks eating humble pie.

I have another question if anyone can help? We still haven't decided whether to ship the wifes car out to Oz. Its worth about £6k in value both here and Oz (99 Honda HRV). My concern is about the air conditioning regulations. Do I have to get the gases removed by a certain registered company? Do I need a certificate or something? I suppose this leads me to one other question - if I don't ship the car - how difficult is it to for my wife to obtain car finance if you are a newly landed Oz citizen who has been out of the country most of her life? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DC
Hi,

Complete waste of time and money shipping a car, sell it here and buy Aus spec car when you get there.
Looked into this at great length, was going to take Merc over, until I found out how much it would cost.

A quick search on the forum will turn up loads of info.

Good luck

PJ
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:45 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jacko1
Hi,

Complete waste of time and money shipping a car, sell it here and buy Aus spec car when you get there.
Looked into this at great length, was going to take Merc over, until I found out how much it would cost.

Good luck

PJ
Gotta agree with Jacko, same went for my Mini Metro.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:51 am
Just Browsing!

dot_com is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jacko1
Hi,

Good luck

PJ
Hi PJ,

I agree, my original plans to ship my Audi were soon scrapped when I realised the cost. But, that being said, we have looked into getting a slightly bigger container to accomodate her car with our possessions. I also understand that as an Oz citizen she will get some sort of concession on the import duty???

My reasoning was a couple of grand spent getting the car over there was a better bet than having to find £7k for her replacement vehicle in Oz!

Aaaaarrrrrgh the joys of wedded bliss! Her way or the highway!

DC
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:57 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Hi PJ,

I agree, my original plans to ship my Audi were soon scrapped when I realised the cost. But, that being said, we have looked into getting a slightly bigger container to accomodate her car with our possessions. I also understand that as an Oz citizen she will get some sort of concession on the import duty???

My reasoning was a couple of grand spent getting the car over there was a better bet than having to find £7k for her replacement vehicle in Oz!

Aaaaarrrrrgh the joys of wedded bliss! Her way or the highway!

DC
Hi,

From what I recall, the shipping cost isn't the issue so much as the duty, luxury car tax (if it applies etc) and all the add on costs in Aus.

The Merc was going to cost me around £9K all in, although this could have been higher depending on the Aussie customs guy.

But if your minds made up go for it

PJ
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Well. Thats a great statement!
I consider myself a very LEGAL immigrant thank you. I went through all the proper processes to get here and when i get citizenship, I will class myself as a very legal citizen!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:52 am
Just Joined

MartinC is an unknown quantity at this point

Kong is right. The problems you (the op) list are the same in all westernised countries. Don't think Oz is any better in the crime stakes. Perth is called the burglary capital of Aus, which is pretty high anyway. Youth issues are the same as the UK - boredom breeds crime. Not all teens enjoy scorching beaches. Plenty enjoy screeching around in souped-up cars, even in "good" suburbs. Drug use is fairly high and easy to come by. In the summer kids start bush fires and riot at parties. Different country, same problems.

As for traffic, rush hours are the same in any city, i.e. horrible. As for immigration, you do realise that Oz needs a huge amount of immigration in order to function as a first-world country? Birth rates are falling, who is going to supply the pensions of all those future retirees?

But after all that, there is still plenty to like about Oz, just as there is plenty to like about the UK. Everyone feels the way you do at 35, it's natural. You are getting older and you see things differently compared to 15 years ago. Every generation thinks the one after them is worse. Emigrating to a different country will not change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.