Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go!!

Should I stay or should I go!!

Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

jackie-nick will become famous soon enough
Default Should I stay or should I go!!

Hi everyone....great site for info and help. Just thought i'd air my thoughts.

We are eligable for a visa and just waiting to give the immigration company the go ahead.

A few of our friends are moving to Oz next year to Wellington Point, so myself and my OH decided to look into it. We thought for a better way of life for our young family. More family time etc etc. Great weather. Hubby into lots of fishing so great to be nearish to the coast.

After lots of research things dont seem to be as great as we thought and reality checks in. Houses are same as here ish and interest rates are high. We could only afford around $350.

My hunsband is a diesel fitter which is much needed in Oz, but the salary isn't very good unless you work in the mines. This means time away from the family doing shift work. We'd Have to move more inland because of this, so less time with the family and the dream of getting a fishing boat and fishing more wouldnt be out of the question.

The thousands it would cost to get the visa and move would mean that we'd need to remortgage the house and rent it out, which is fine, but if we had to come back we'd be financially in a worse situation and would need to sell up and move to somewhere cheaper.

After reading threads on this site there are alot of sad people wanting to move back......I'm just scared its all ganna go wrong!!!

I,m not moaning honestly!!!!!!!!!!! Just thinking would it really be worth it or not!! Would life be better or is it the same just a different country.

Obviously i'm having a down day about it all today.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go!!

Originally Posted by jackie-nick

We are eligable for a visa and just waiting to give the immigration company the go ahead.

A few of our friends are moving to Oz next year to Wellington Point, so myself and my OH decided to look into it. We thought for a better way of life for our young family. More family time etc etc. Great weather. Hubby into lots of fishing so great to be nearish to the coast.

After lots of research things dont seem to be as great as we thought and reality checks in. Houses are same as here ish and interest rates are high. We could only afford around $350.

My hunsband is a diesel fitter which is much needed in Oz, but the salary isn't very good unless you work in the mines. This means time away from the family doing shift work. We'd Have to move more inland because of this, so less time with the family and the dream of getting a fishing boat and fishing more wouldnt be out of the question.

The thousands it would cost to get the visa and move would mean that we'd need to remortgage the house and rent it out, which is fine, but if we had to come back we'd be financially in a worse situation and would need to sell up and move to somewhere cheaper.

After reading threads on this site there are alot of sad people wanting to move back......I'm just scared its all ganna go wrong!!!

I,m not moaning honestly!!!!!!!!!!! Just thinking would it really be worth it or not!! Would life be better or is it the same just a different country.

If you didnt try it would you spend your life thinking what if what if what if
Life is to short ,if all fails you can come back and start again .
Its better to regret what you do ,rather than what you didnt do
We are just putting final documents together for tra,hubbies a gas fitter/plumber hoping to be in Brisbane area wih our 2 kids early 2009
good luck
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:42 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot to offer other than you have to do what is right for you and your family.....remember there are hundreds that post on here that love the fact that they took the jump.....it's unfortunate when it doesn't work out for some.

Good luck with your decisions...
Ems x
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant future

Go, sorry cant read that much.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

I know, just such a rollercoaster. We are making the biggest decission of our lives. It will also be the best or worst.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If what is on offer in Aus is a better opportunity than what you have in UK then come but if it isnt and you are just thinking of the weather and the beach then dont come. There is nothing magic about being here, after a while it is just another place to live your life and your life is what you make of it.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by timmins family
If you didnt try it would you spend your life thinking what if what if what if
Life is to short ,if all fails you can come back and start again .
Its better to regret what you do ,rather than what you didnt do
We are just putting final documents together for tra,hubbies a gas fitter/plumber hoping to be in Brisbane area wih our 2 kids early 2009
good luck
Hi, You are right....i know.
Have you decided where you want to live, then your hubby finds work when you get there, or has he looked for work before you go?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone....
There are many happy people over here you know...! I think the unhappy ones just make more noise... There's risks in everything... I'd be inclined to look carefully at the employment side of things and work from there... Get that bit right and an awful lot of other things will fall into place... Screw it up and you might as well come with a return ticket...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant futureGolden Pixie has a brilliant future

Please stay i feel like ive known you for 2 minutes
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:46 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

What is you stay in England and it all goes wrong??? your house burns down or your kids get sick or your husband loses his job???

What if you spend the rest of your life thinking 'what if'??

Moving is a lot easier than people give it credit for!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice

Hi, You are right....i know.
Have you decided where you want to live, then your hubby finds work when you get there, or has he looked for work before you go?
Hubbie will look for work when we arrive,we have browsed some aussie job sites to get an idea of wages,hours ,and qualifications required etc.As for areas we will probably short term rent in brisbane and look around areas to settle within 1 hour of the city,but nothing set in stone!
What about you ,have you thought that far ahead yet?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by timmins family
Hubbie will look for work when we arrive,we have browsed some aussie job sites to get an idea of wages,hours ,and qualifications required etc.As for areas we will probably short term rent in brisbane and look around areas to settle within 1 hour of the city,but nothing set in stone!
What about you ,have you thought that far ahead yet?
well, we have friends moving to Brisbane next year, Wellington Point. So we'd like to be near them. We'd probably have to go inland a little as it's not as expensive.
Hubby can get a job as a fitter in the mines, money is great but working away isn't really the life we'd like.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=jackie-nick;5961147]well, we have friends moving to Brisbane next year, Wellington Point. So we'd like to be near them. We'd probably have to go inland a little as it's not as expensive.
Hubby can get a job as a fitter in the mines, money is great but working away isn't really the life we'd like.[/QUOT

How old are your kiddies how do they feel
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
There is nothing magic about being here, after a while it is just another place to live your life and your life is what you make of it.
Spot on.

Trust your instincts. If you're instincts 'say no' then stay. Above all, don't be swept aong by the crowd with secondhand tales of 'daring do' from people who've never lived here. People on the cusp of emigrating themselves have a tendency to slip into a 'can't wait to get out of here, won't life be great when we get there' mentality. I know I did. Forgive them, its just nerves, and they know not what they talk of.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My hunsband is a diesel fitter which is much needed in Oz, but the salary isn't very good unless you work in the mines.
Where he will be able to earn a fortune. Get your arses over to WA, some of the rosters these days are quite "family friendly" for example 8 on 6 off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.