Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should i move to australia

Should i move to australia

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

the hightons is on a distinguished road
Question Should i move to australia

Hi i was hoping for some advise, my husband wants to move to Australia and has been in contact with a relocation company.
He can get a job in a hospital (as he is a registered nurse) but i would have to job hunt we also have a 6 month old daughter, I'm just really worried that i will miss my parents as they are not getting any younger.

I feel torn in two.
Please help me, what should i do.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Wink Re: Should i move to australia

Originally Posted by the hightons
Hi i was hoping for some advise, my husband wants to move to Australia and has been in contact with a relocation company.
He can get a job in a hospital (as he is a registered nurse) but i would have to job hunt we also have a 6 month old daughter, I'm just really worried that i will miss my parents as they are not getting any younger.

I feel torn in two.
This will describe my situation.

2002 I wanted to emmigrate but wife flatly said no - oh well.
2004 - seriously ill (life threatening)
Recovered from illness and thought about emmigrating again and wife thinks it would be good ?
Maybe the illness thing changed her but we are in our early thirties and are of the opinion we can always come back. O.K so you will cost yourself some money moving back and forth but its only money.

I would rather go and come back then not go and regret it when Im older.

Not much help I know but only you can ultimately decide .
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:34 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should i move to australia

I feel torn in two.
Hi, first of all welcome to BE,

Moving to a country as far away as Australia is a BIG decision, and you need to make it together. If you read through a lot of the posts on this forum, you will see that missing friends & family is the biggest problem that most people will face.

You can also put things into perspective, your parents are not getting any younger, but will they be there in 5 years time, or still in 15 years time ?

If you wait for the worst to happen before you decide to leave, then you may feel you have missed too many opportunities while waiting.

Getting work for yourself depends on what you can do, and where you are looking to move to, and your daughter is young enough to not even notice the change. Your parents can visit, and if retired, for longer periods. I told my parents not long ago about our decision, and the only reaction was that they wish they had done the same years ago. You never know until sometimes it's too late.

You will get a lot of very very good advice on this site, but at the end of it all, the decision to emigrate ( or not) lies in your hands, and you must think of all the pro's and con's.

Good luck with your decision, and hopefully speak to you again soon
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 6:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, and having heard so many tales of woe regarding the loss of old family and friends network, I'd suggest you think very long and hard about a move like this. If you're this concerned now, then I suspect your feelings will only get worse when you're there, faced with all the problems that an unfamiliar environment bring. I'd say that the lack of a familiar support network and problems associated with ageing parents were one of the biggest reasons people move back to the UK from any foreign country - but the fact is that whilst it's possible to hop on a plane and be home in an hour from Spain, it's not so feasible either in terms of cost or time from down under. You really need to do some serious soul-searching on the subject and if you have any doubts at all about how you, or your parents, will cope when you've emigrated, it's probably best to either shelve or postpone such plans. It's a harsh thing to contemplate, particularly when one partner is keener than the other, but plenty of people find themselves marooned on the other side of the planet whilst family dramas unfold 'back home'. Perhaps you should have a long conversation with your parents - getting their blessing may put an entirely different complexion on the matter.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:05 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

I feel torn in two.
Of course you'll miss your parents and your friends try and take a different perspective on it. Leave friends and family out of the equation and look long and hard at what life has to offer you here and compare it with what it could be like in Oz and trust your gut instinct about what you want. Once you have done this then bring your friends and family back into it - Do the benifits out weigh the disadvantages?

I wouldn't worry to much about job hunting once you get there just make sure that you get refrences from employers before you leave (if you decide to go for it) Also you will soon start meeting new friends and create a new suport network.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you do decide to migrate, make sure you get a permanent visa. Lots of people have had real hassles on a temporary visa.

Jeremy
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Should i move to australia<<

Why not - everyone else is!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:10 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

we ummed and ahhed about it for years. hubbie wanted to, i couldnt because of my family (even though brother lives over there). then i changed my mind after a few years had passed. had a chat with my parents when we were on holiday together last xmas, and they gave us their full support, said go for it. you go over and we will. it has to be both of your decisions, jointly, together. it took me quite a few years before i came to the same decision as my husband, but he was okay about this.

try talking to your parents and see what pans out. you might be surprised by their reaction.

best of luck
xx
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

[If you do decide to migrate, make sure you get a permanent visa. Lots of people have had real hassles on a temporary visa.

Oh God Jeremy maybe only people who are only moving to Australia with Permanent Visas should be allowed to use this forum. Again the negativity you put out regarding Temp visas astounds me. Remember not everyone is in the same situation and people also have problems with Permanent Visas as well. As a Moderator maybe you should sit on the fence a bit more
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:40 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 29palms
[If you do decide to migrate, make sure you get a permanent visa. Lots of people have had real hassles on a temporary visa.

Oh God Jeremy maybe only people who are only moving to Australia with Permanent Visas should be allowed to use this forum. Again the negativity you put out regarding Temp visas astounds me. Remember not everyone is in the same situation and people also have problems with Permanent Visas as well. As a Moderator maybe you should sit on the fence a bit more

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Should i move to australia

I feel torn in two.
What was the reason for considering Australia in the first place?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:32 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

I feel torn in two.
If you want a real change, go for it! You'll like Australia!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:38 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Give it a go, youll never know until you try it
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 29palms
Oh God Jeremy maybe only people who are only moving to Australia with Permanent Visas should be allowed to use this forum. Again the negativity you put out regarding Temp visas astounds me.
All the "negativity" is fact-based. Agents in Australia deal with temporary visa holders in trouble every day of the week.

People new to the process of migration may not understand the difference. It's better if their eyes are opened to the issues before they decide which option to take.

Remember not everyone is in the same situation and people also have problems with Permanent Visas as well.
In terms of visa situation? What kind of specific problems do you have in mind?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 2nd 2006 at 10:59 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:46 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I feel torn in two.

Talk with your husband about your obviously strong reservations. Explain your feelings and listen to his, then try and compromise.

Only my opinion mind you.

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.