Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should i hand in my notice

should i hand in my notice

Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Boyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really nice
Question should i hand in my notice

As a teacher I am restricted by the dates of handing in notice at work, if for example, i hand in my notice by the end of Feb i can leave during or just after Easter holidays, the next hand in date will allow me to leave at the end of July, a long time away when I have been apart from my partner now since October and am missing him madly. The sensible thing is to wait for my visa to be approved, but the Visa officer has got all he needs and now its just a waiting game. I also want to give work time to get a replacement so its allowing them time to find someone to fit into place for Easter. Should I just go for it and hand in my notice? What do you think?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should i hand in my notice

Pretty hard to say without knowing what visa you have applied for and maybe exactly what stage you are at. I know you said you have sent everything but some people sometimes think having sent everything in means they are at top of the queue! Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

It is also hard to advise without knowing your financial situation.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Boyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Pretty hard to say without knowing what visa you have applied for and maybe exactly what stage you are at. I know you said you have sent everything but some people sometimes think having sent everything in means they are at top of the queue! Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

It is also hard to advise without knowing your financial situation.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have applied for the spouse visa and the visa oficer had all my paper work in Dec, plus medicals and police checks in Jan. it could take up to three months from receipt of original docs, but he said he should have it processed by the end of Feb, but couldnt give me a definate answer naturally. But remind me why am I paying such large amounts of money for this, i think the time guidelines should be clear once the application has been received. I am completly free to break my rental contract any time and have no other responsibilties or comitments.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well assuming you don't expect any complications (e.g. Clear relationship history, no medical or character issues) and you could afford to do without salary for a little while, well I think I would probably say go for it.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well assuming you don't expect any complications (e.g. Clear relationship history, no medical or character issues) and you could afford to do without salary for a little while, well I think I would probably say go for it.
Thanks Bermuda, ive seen some of your replies on here and you seem a sensible lady to be taking advice from. take care
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Bobbin is an unknown quantity at this point

I was advised not to hand my notice until my visa was granted. I had to give 3 months notice at work as was initially taking a career break, but in the grand shceme of things, an extra couple of months in the UK was worth it to know everything had gone through OK.

Fingers crossed for you that all the paperwork goes through by end of Feb and then it won't be an issue.