Shotguns

Old Mar 2nd 2020, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

mpjdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shotguns

Has anyone brought there shotguns & airguns with them to Australia?

I clay and target shot as a sport and am having difficulty finding out how to go about importing them.
Thought I'd ask the Firearms department of the NSW government. But they just send out a automatic reply saying they will only respond if the information isn't on their website. Of course I can't find it on their website.

Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 8:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shotguns

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exp...ories/firearms
Old Mar 4th 2020, 10:18 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpjdodge
Has anyone brought there shotguns & airguns with them to Australia?

I clay and target shot as a sport and am having difficulty finding out how to go about importing them.
Thought I'd ask the Firearms department of the NSW government. But they just send out a automatic reply saying they will only respond if the information isn't on their website. Of course I can't find it on their website.

Any help appreciated.
You need to contact the NSW Firearms Registry, who can provide advice.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms

In NSW (can't comment on other states) you will need to obtain a firearms licence for categories A and B for shotguns, rifles and air rifles. This will involve:
  • Membership of a registered shooting/hunting club
  • Completion of a registered long arms training course
The club membership provides you with your 'genuine reason' which you need to provide to make the licence application. The Long Arms course is a couple of hours on handling and safety, with a multiple choice test at the end. With these items in hand, you can make your application to the Firearms Registry for a licence. This can take a couple of months to be processed, but providing you have no issues, it's just a formality. Once your licence has been granted, you can then apply for Permission to Aquire (PTA), where you need to make a request to acquire firearm/s. The police will likely come and inspect your storage arrangements at this point.

The issue you will likely face is what happens to your firearms in the interim period while you are getting settled. I think the process here is that you would have to have them imported to a registered firearms dealer, who will input the firearms into the NSW system, and can hold them securely for you while you complete the licence formalities. I haven't done this myself, and it may well end up being a massive ballache, so it may be easier to sell them in the UK and buy new firearms here. Surprisingly, firearms aren't that expensive here. There are some good firearms dealers about though, who will be happy to assist (for a fee). Seek some advice from the Firearms Registry first - despite being a Police/Government department, they are super keen to help and give advice.

If you're coming to NSW, we have some world class clay and target ranges at the Sydney International Shooting Centre (SISC) in Cecil Park. In some ways, despite what the media say, firearms ownership is a bit easier here, with a much greater range of firearms available, as well as pistols (though handled under a different licence category). The process is slow and administration heavy, which I think is designed to weed out people who aren't that serious about it. Once you have the licence though, a whole world opens up to you, and you can acquire a rifle from .22 air to .308 and shotguns for clay shooting.

Myself and a mate shoot regularly at SISC, and we're members of the Cecil Park Clay Target Club, which covers us for both target (clays and range) and hunting (though we don't do that). When you get here, drop us a line, and we can take you up and show you the ropes. My advice would be to get going with the applications literally the day that you arrive though, as delays will push the final granting of the licence well down the road.

Good luck!

S

Old Mar 6th 2020, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank You.

Very helpful.

We'll be moving near Port Macquarie and I know there is a local club. I'll get in touch with them.

Also have a place in Sydney so may well get in touch when visiting SISC.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You need to contact the NSW Firearms Registry, who can provide advice.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms

In NSW (can't comment on other states) you will need to obtain a firearms licence for categories A and B for shotguns, rifles and air rifles. This will involve:
  • Membership of a registered shooting/hunting club
  • Completion of a registered long arms training course
The club membership provides you with your 'genuine reason' which you need to provide to make the licence application. The Long Arms course is a couple of hours on handling and safety, with a multiple choice test at the end. With these items in hand, you can make your application to the Firearms Registry for a licence. This can take a couple of months to be processed, but providing you have no issues, it's just a formality. Once your licence has been granted, you can then apply for Permission to Aquire (PTA), where you need to make a request to acquire firearm/s. The police will likely come and inspect your storage arrangements at this point.

If you're coming to NSW, we have some world class clay and target ranges at the Sydney International Shooting Centre (SISC) in Cecil Park. In some ways, despite what the media say, firearms ownership is a bit easier here, with a much greater range of firearms available, as well as pistols (though handled under a different licence category). The process is slow and administration heavy, which I think is designed to weed out people who aren't that serious about it. Once you have the licence though, a whole world opens up to you, and you can acquire a rifle from .22 air to .308 and shotguns for clay shooting.
It's the same story in VIC.
Yes, the main points are that you can get firearms quite easily infact, if you go through the "wait time", and pass the Police checks having got a med certificate and references.

Points to note:
I almost came a cropper on the safety course as I answered that the safety catch was the first thing to check, not the barrel, when tripping up and burying a longarm in the dirt.
The theory takes the line that safety catches are not infallible, and almost by implication not relevant, whereas I keep my fingers away from the guard and check it anyhow.

I also have short arms, so that was almost an issue on the longarms course.

The course is theory only, and I have seen owners handle firearms to a poor standard

The other consideration is that many people grow up with firearms on properties

For the longarm, apply for Cat A and Cat B together- Cat A is Rimfire only so you might as well get B.
I believe you can apply for the licence (with paperwork all in) and the Permit to Acquire together and wait 28d for both - having paid a deposit for the firearm
A security licence held means you can skip all the medical checks and references which is most of the application
A game license in VIC (about 60 bucks) is a reason to acquire - that license itself is also an easy application

Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 12th 2020 at 8:34 am.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks.

Very helpful.

Been in touch with a NSW club and looks like the most credible option os to ship the guns dealer (UK) to dealer (AUS) and they'll hold then until I get the certification complete.