Reload this Page >

A Shot in the Arm??

A Shot in the Arm??

Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Shot in the Arm??

Hi All,
Well we have gon an dun it ! Booked on Malaysian Airlines, fly out on 24th June, stopover in KL one night, 2 nights in Langkawi. Does anybody know if we require any jabs for the stopover. Not even completed the house sale yet, taken a risk but availability and price had to be taken into consideration. Hope to complete, on would you believe it Friday 13th!!!

Your help in the immunisation matter would be great!
Cheers
Gary&Clare
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:29 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A Shot in the Arm??

Originally posted by garywarby
Hi All,
Well we have gon an dun it ! Booked on Malaysian Airlines, fly out on 24th June, stopover in KL one night, 2 nights in Langkawi. Does anybody know if we require any jabs for the stopover. Not even completed the house sale yet, taken a risk but availability and price had to be taken into consideration. Hope to complete, on would you believe it Friday 13th!!!

Cheers
Gary&Clare

Would speak to your doctors. The world health organisation should have upto date info

Jo
Old Jun 4th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Personally I wouldn't. Lived in various parts of Asia for 5 years (inc KL for 3.5 years) and didn't have a problem. Hubby had the Hep shots, but I didn't bother. Neither of us had a problem. But that is my preference, it is up to you. If it is going to ease your mind, take the shots. You will have a sore bum for a few days.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by garywarby
Hi All,

Cheers
Gary&Clare
I wouldn't bother, although it's up to you. Like suebo I used to live in Asia 5 years too, Singapore, but used to travel in and out of Malaysia on an almost weekly basis. I know of nobody who used to have shots for these areas.

I assume you're going to Langkawi for a short holiday - you'll enjoy it . I once did a weekend road race over in Langkawi with the Singapore kart club (which has fallen through now - the Sing kart club, last I heard - must miss me )

The flight was dreadful going into Langkawi (it's the worst turbulence I've ever experienced - had a really bad flight - I think I kissed the ground when I finally got off the plane). If it wasn't for the turbulence - the flight would have been quite enjoyable - the scenery flying in over the islands - stunning.

A tip - don't get ill in Langkawi! The hospital I went to was like something out of "Mash" no kidding - broke my leg on the last night, and had to go to one of the local hospitals (fell down a drain after a few drinks)

All in all, besides the flight and me breaking my leg - it was a lovely place - you'll enjoy it.

The shots - it's up to you, but personally I think they are totally unnecessary. Never picked up anything myself within those five years of living and travelling there (except Dengue fever one year - not nice!) Malaria is basically non - existent in these parts, Hepatitis - people tend to pick that up eating the half cooked cockles from the straits

And don't eat the meat/chicken from the hawker centres in some parts of Malaysia (sitting in the sun all day under glass) - unless you have a hard stomach - one way to pick up food poisoning. Hubby picked it up , when we first got to Asia(about a month into living in Asia) - I swear you become immune to it after a while.
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 5th 2003 at 6:24 am.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies people!