Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short Term Accommodation in Sydney?

Short Term Accommodation in Sydney?

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:07 am
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of
Default Short Term Accommodation in Sydney?

Hi All,

Not really sure where I should be writing this but ... I'm on the verge of breaking up with long term Ozzie OH and moving back to the UK, probably before Christmas.

I could however do with staying until as close to Christmas as I can for work reasons. Things are extremely tense at home so I am thinking about moving out for my last few weeks. This would mean finding somewhere to stay close to Sydney CBD for a few weeks. I've thought about hostels but I work full time and also, as I'm likely to be feeling a little upset, I'd quite like to get a place where I could have my own room. But in the same sense, it would be nice to see other people about from a social/sanity point of view!

Does anyone know where I might look for short term accommodation with private room (other than an expensive hotel of course ... my salary is about half what is was / will be in UK :curse: ... ooops, didn't mean to start!).

Any suggestions appreciated and best wishes and thoughts to anyone in similar turmoil.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Short Term Accommodation in Sydney?

Originally Posted by LCT
Hi All,

Not really sure where I should be writing this but ... I'm on the verge of breaking up with long term Ozzie OH and moving back to the UK, probably before Christmas.

I could however do with staying until as close to Christmas as I can for work reasons. Things are extremely tense at home so I am thinking about moving out for my last few weeks. This would mean finding somewhere to stay close to Sydney CBD for a few weeks. I've thought about hostels but I work full time and also, as I'm likely to be feeling a little upset, I'd quite like to get a place where I could have my own room. But in the same sense, it would be nice to see other people about from a social/sanity point of view!

Does anyone know where I might look for short term accommodation with private room (other than an expensive hotel of course ... my salary is about half what is was / will be in UK :curse: ... ooops, didn't mean to start!).

Any suggestions appreciated and best wishes and thoughts to anyone in similar turmoil.
Hi there i dont know what its like in Aus but in NZ they do have upmarket backpackers which have their own ensuite rooms and much much cheapr than a hotel and a lot friendlier.
Sorry im not much help all the best have you been in Aus long im a bit in the same sort of situation myself really but keep putting of the inevitable.
(Attached to my grandchildren here in NZ but also know that one day they will be up and gone and i'll probably still be sitting here wondering what the hell happened!)
All the best
Cally
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Short Term Accommodation in Sydney?

Hey i did a bit of a search and found this you get your own room its a minimum 1month stay worth a look anyhow all the others i found were sharing a room with other people and i wouldnt be keen on that myself but this one sounds ok.

http://users.tpg.com.au/125tryst/index.htm
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Short Term Accommodation in Sydney?

There are plenty of apartment hotels,try the Medina website, they are self-catering apartments, which often do weekly rates if you call the reservations number they will quote on longstay rates.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I've moved this to the Aus forum as you get more chance of people currently living in Sydney seeing it than if it was left in the MBTTUK forum.

Sue
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LCT
Hi All,

www.waterfront-apartments.com.au
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:33 am
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help and your replies. Cally49, I've been here about 18 months and procrastinating for most of that time. I'm thinking perhaps some time alone will help clear my head so I can move forward but its still hard work trying to psyche myself up. How long have you been in NZ?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LCT
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help and your replies. Cally49, I've been here about 18 months and procrastinating for most of that time. I'm thinking perhaps some time alone will help clear my head so I can move forward but its still hard work trying to psyche myself up. How long have you been in NZ?
Hi LCT

Sorry I can't help on the accommodation front, but I remember you posting about legal jobs when you first moved over. I see that you did get a job, even if it doesn't pay well. Australia can certainly seem like the kiss of death to a legal career, although I'm sure it must work out for some people. After requalifying here, I haven't actually bothered to practise (partly choice, but partly because the pay is dire and work uninspiring).

Anyway, the real point of my post was to say that I'm very sorry that things haven't worked out for you here and to wish you all the best in the future.

F5
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Have a look in the Accommodation section of Saturday's "Sydney Morning Herald". There are usually some single rooms and studios advertised there, with a minimum stay of a month.

Sorry things haven't worked out for you here.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

helsbells79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try gumtree.com.au for short term rentals. Often lots of flat shares available.

Sorry, can't help you any more than that...but hope you find something asap.