Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shops of use to new migrants

Shops of use to new migrants

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:04 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Shops of use to new migrants

Trying to set up a list of shops that would be usefull for all the different household effects, from crockery to dishwashers.
This could be usefull for all new migrants for when they arrive.

I myself am keen to know of the bargain shops you get to hear about just after you have paid over the odds for something.
Aiming for Brisbane, somewhere aroung Redcliffe 25km ish, so should be able to get some good choices, can anyone help build a list to save a few of us newly arriving migrant a few $

I will start with the list of for all of us with www.goodguys.co.au
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I have found Kmart very good for buying cheap kitchen items just to set you up when you arrive. They do such a huge range of other stuff too... from clothes to furniture. Dont expect top quality, but for starting out you cant beat it really
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Bunnings is the place for all things DIY and gardening. Very much like B&Q
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:13 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by podgypossum

Thanks, a good start PP. I loved kmart when i first went to Florida in 93, bought shed loads of stuff. Even spare parts for my lawnmower at a fraction of the uk price.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Target is another one along the Kmart lines but doesnt have as much of a range.

In Adelaide, we dont have Ikea but i know they have it in Melbourne and Sydney. There is another shop quite similar to Ikea that we do have called Freedom furniture.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here are some of the websites

www.freedom.com.au

www.kmart.com.au

www.target.com.au

www.bunnings.com.au
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are some of the websites

www.freedom.com.au

www.kmart.com.au

www.target.com.au

www.bunnings.com.au
IKEA
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:47 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Link is wrong for the good guys, its

www.goodguys.com.au
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

saw the goodguys website and the products(televisions and vacuum cleaners) I looked at looked very expensive to me. It does say "Pay less for cash", presumably the prices are lower if you turn up with the readies.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes they do knock a fair bit off if you haggle with them and we even got a free 5yr extra warranty thrown in..not htat these things are ever worth the paper they are written on in my experience.
We bought several items from them including TV, and smaller electrical goods.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:51 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

The list sounds very useful - keep up the good work!

However, I wonder if anyone can add details about (yes, I am a terrible vain girl) ladies' *clothes* shops?

Many of those helpful books for would-be immigrants tell us that 'clothes in Oz are not such good quality as we are used to in the UK'. In the 'New life down under' the other week, one of the women said how much she missed M&S, & how you could not buy decent (?!) knickers in Perth!! We are Melbourne-bound, which I think is better for shopping, but I'm still worried about having to wear hubby's Y-fronts once my containerload of M&S knicks wears out....

As a self-confessed retail therapist, I know I am emigrating to the wrong country, but, kind Ladies (& Drag Queens) lurking in the Forum, can you recommend any good shops? (as a guide, fave shops in UK are M&S, John Lewis, Wallis, East, Monsoon, Gap, Laura Ashley, Next. I'm UK 14/16 so not supermodel spec.).

Also I'm sure hubby would like to know what you guys think of the Oz mens' wear shops...

Anya
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

heard bunnings is a bit pricey
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:59 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by anya4oz
The list sounds very useful - keep up the good work!

However, I wonder if anyone can add details about (yes, I am a terrible vain girl) ladies' *clothes* shops?

Many of those helpful books for would-be immigrants tell us that 'clothes in Oz are not such good quality as we are used to in the UK'. In the 'New life down under' the other week, one of the women said how much she missed M&S, & how you could not buy decent (?!) knickers in Perth!! We are Melbourne-bound, which I think is better for shopping, but I'm still worried about having to wear hubby's Y-fronts once my containerload of M&S knicks wears out....

As a self-confessed retail therapist, I know I am emigrating to the wrong country, but, kind Ladies (& Drag Queens) lurking in the Forum, can you recommend any good shops? (as a guide, fave shops in UK are M&S, John Lewis, Wallis, East, Monsoon, Gap, Laura Ashley, Next. I'm UK 14/16 so not supermodel spec.).

Also I'm sure hubby would like to know what you guys think of the Oz mens' wear shops...

Anya
Anya,
I have spent time in Perth, where I am also returning. I cant comment on Melbourne, but I found Perth very poor for clothing. In the city itself there is some trendy boutique type stores, but all the shopping malls contain the same formula of shops, and the clothing ones are pretty crappy. I remember last time I went people coming up to me asking me where I had got my/my kids clothes from, and when I said UK they were saying that there was nowhere in WA doing different clothing, that the best stuff was in the eastern states. So you might be luckier than me
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ikea

For your information Ikea is in Perth, we have a friend who works there.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:50 pm
earlswood

There's also Ikea in Brisbane.

Felt a right idiot last year when we visited and were talking to some locals about this brill store we have in UK called "Ikea."
and hoped there might be something similar in OZ.
Reply was "no worries mate, got one of those down the road!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.