Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shopping diffrences

Wikiposts

shopping diffrences

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shopping diffrences

Originally Posted by eddie007
But how many tins of vimto will she manage on a bike????

Its not easy doing the commute to charlies unless you have a car...

PP will tell you, she was going up for weeks at one stage...

If youre working unsocial shifts it can become nigh on impossible..
It's easy working there if you live locally. As to the Vimto, her OH can do the shopping and get on his bike (or bus).
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:41 pm
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HelenTD
It's easy working there if you live locally. As to the Vimto, her OH can do the shopping and get on his bike (or bus).
Now there is a plan. Helen is right we will be arriving with approx $10k so a car is not high on the list of prioritys accomadation is the first then a car. So bike bus walk it is till we can afford a car. I will be also registering with the nurse agiencies as well to work and earn more.

How do you go about renting a car long term? never done it before so am unsure.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:48 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avi
Now there is a plan. Helen is right we will be arriving with approx $10k so a car is not high on the list of prioritys accomadation is the first then a car. So bike bus walk it is till we can afford a car. I will be also registering with the nurse agiencies as well to work and earn more.

How do you go about renting a car long term? never done it before so am unsure.
Good luck avi
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to rent quite close to charlies then.... I reckon he could manage 126 tins.... More if he adds panniers, a back pack and one of those kiddy trailer things... (without te child)

I dont know about long term car rentals... But Good luck..
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

avi should look into one of those car financing plans to buy a car, or leasing a car. Also her employer probably offers some sort of salary sacrifice package - but that might cut into the disposable income too much.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Shopping differences?

I arrived in Brisbane 12hrs ago, just back from the local IGA and the main difference I could see is the price of shower gel and deodorant. $7 for something you get in Asda for £1.

My wife will be bringing a case full of Sure and Palmolive products when she comes in 4 weeks.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Shopping differences?

I arrived in Brisbane 12hrs ago, just back from the local IGA and the main difference I could see is the price of shower gel and deodorant. $7 for something you get in Asda for £1.

My wife will be bringing a case full of Sure and Palmolive products when she comes in 4 weeks.
Check the prices to the pack sizes...
Todays Woolworths and Tesco Comparison:

Woolworths
  • $4.99 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Kiwi Fruit Shower Creme 400ml
  • $4.99 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Mandarin Shower Creme 400ml
  • $4.99 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Pomegranate Shower Creme 400ml

Tesco
  • £2.05 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Kiwi Shwr Creme 200ml
  • £2.05 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Manderine Shwr Creme 200ml
  • £2.05 Palmolive Nutra Pomegranate Shwrcreme 200ml

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:44 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Shopping differences?

Skip the hygene and fit in with the Pommy stereotype.

You seriously going to import all that?

Welcome, by the way.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Check the prices to the pack sizes...
Todays Woolworths and Tesco Comparison:

Woolworths
  • $4.99 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Kiwi Fruit Shower Creme 400ml
  • $4.99 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Mandarin Shower Creme 400ml
  • $4.99 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Pomegranate Shower Creme 400ml

Tesco
  • £2.05 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Kiwi Shwr Creme 200ml
  • £2.05 Palmolive Nutra Fruit Manderine Shwr Creme 200ml
  • £2.05 Palmolive Nutra Pomegranate Shwrcreme 200ml
That $4.99 quoted for Palmolive shower wash at Woolworths is on special, the normal price is $6.98. We usually buy the Health Basic 1L soap-free shower wash, normally $10.73 but special this week for $7.98. It's a Kiwi brand, good for sensitive skins and usually at Coles or Woolworths.

If I was doing a big toiletries shop in the UK, I'd head for Boots as well as Sainsbury's and other supermarkets, as the own brands are so good in the UK and so much cheaper than the big names.

Very difficult here to get bath products and I find it hard to find good skin cleansers and moisturisers to suit my skin.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

That $4.99 quoted for Palmolive shower wash at Woolworths is on special, the normal price is $6.98. We usually buy the Health Basic 1L soap-free shower wash, normally $10.73 but special this week for $7.98. It's a Kiwi brand, good for sensitive skins and usually at Coles or Woolworths.

If I was doing a big toiletries shop in the UK, I'd head for Boots as well as Sainsbury's and other supermarkets, as the own brands are so good in the UK and so much cheaper than the big names.

Very difficult here to get bath products and I find it hard to find good skin cleansers and moisturisers to suit my skin.
Clarins, clinique... Lush.... All available here
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Clarins, clinique... Lush.... All available here
I'm not on your flash budget, though. Never heard of Lush until you mentioned it elsewhere, and the last time I bought Clarins duty-free, it gave me a rash. I love Boots and am working my way through my shopping from last year.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not on your flash budget, though. Never heard of Lush until you mentioned it elsewhere, and the last time I bought Clarins duty-free, it gave me a rash. I love Boots and am working my way through my shopping from last year.
I'm not on a flash budget either mate... just treat myself to the absolute basics... They last longer ... And ONLY when they have an amazing free gift ... Sometimes you can get more than double what you have to spend in freebies... Haven't had to buy eyeshadows or mascaras for years...

Popping back to the uk to restock sounds like a bloody expensive option....
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Skip the hygene and fit in with the Pommy stereotype.

You seriously going to import all that?

Welcome, by the way.
cheers, looks like stinky is the way to go
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not on a flash budget either mate... just treat myself to the absolute basics... They last longer ... And ONLY when they have an amazing free gift ... Sometimes you can get more than double what you have to spend in freebies... Haven't had to buy eyeshadows or mascaras for years...

Popping back to the uk to restock sounds like a bloody expensive option....
Got to be another coming soon!!!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
Got to be another coming soon!!!
Let me know when you see it!!!!