Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shopping comparison UK vs OZ

Shopping comparison UK vs OZ

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:00 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shopping comparison UK vs OZ

I did a weekly shop at ASDA the other day, and I kept the receipt. I went to Woolworths web site, and did a mock home shop to compare the prices. I tried to buy the exact same things as I bought at ASDA. Somethings were hard to compare, like the 18 pack toilet roll of toilet paper, as I could only by a 12 pack from woolworths. Also, wasn't able to buy, multi packs of cold meat. (ham and turkey breats). I found that soft drinks like diet coke and fanta were cheaper at ASDA. The meat was also a little cheaper at ASDA. However, over all the Woolworths food bill was £10 cheaper than ASDA. Has anyone else done this before? And found a difference?
Jim
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping comparison UK vs OZ

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I did a weekly shop at ASDA the other day, and I kept the receipt. I went to Woolworths web site, and did a mock home shop to compare the prices. I tried to buy the exact same things as I bought at ASDA. Somethings were hard to compare, like the 18 pack toilet roll of toilet paper, as I could only by a 12 pack from woolworths. Also, wasn't able to buy, multi packs of cold meat. (ham and turkey breats). I found that soft drinks like diet coke and fanta were cheaper at ASDA. The meat was also a little cheaper at ASDA. However, over all the Woolworths food bill was £10 cheaper than ASDA. Has anyone else done this before? And found a difference?
Jim
We tried something similar a few weeks ago. Our £90 UK bill at Tesco was $200 plus a number of items we couldn't find anything like so call it $220. At $2.46:£1 that is almost exactly the same. But when you will only be earning Aussie$ it won't go as far so I am assuming $2:£1 which makes it more expensive. Then again, my wife won't be working so she will be able to shop at the markets, cook more meals from fresh (cheaper) ingredients etc etc.

I think the long and short of it is that it isn't significantly different.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:42 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
We tried something similar a few weeks ago. Our £90 UK bill at Tesco was $200 plus a number of items we couldn't find anything like so call it $220. At $2.46:£1 that is almost exactly the same. But when you will only be earning Aussie$ it won't go as far so I am assuming $2:£1 which makes it more expensive. Then again, my wife won't be working so she will be able to shop at the markets, cook more meals from fresh (cheaper) ingredients etc etc.

I think the long and short of it is that it isn't significantly different.
Trouble is, your making like for like comparisons between the two, probably based on exchange rate - no good !

You need to equate what the percentage of your monthly/weekly wage you spend of certain items over here ( UK ) and what it would be in Aus. This is the only way to understand whether food bills are cheaper in Aus or not. To be honest, this is the only way that you can relate costs of any type of item between the two countries.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Trouble is, your making like for like comparisons between the two, probably based on exchange rate - no good !

You need to equate what the percentage of your monthly/weekly wage you spend of certain items over here ( UK ) and what it would be in Aus. This is the only way to understand whether food bills are cheaper in Aus or not. To be honest, this is the only way that you can relate costs of any type of item between the two countries.
Which is exactly why I said I work on $2:£1 (as I expect my $ income to be about twice what I earn in £ now).
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:16 am
Badge

Which is exactly why I said I work on $2:£1 (as I expect my $ income to be about twice what I earn in £ now).
we have a winner!!!

Finally someone who understands!!!

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:21 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

yeah, that's fair enough, a 2:1 ratio for a bench mark cost. Although there is a good chance that your wages over there will be slightly above that ratio, which then would make it slightly cheaper.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

this is simpler

http://www.economist.com/markets/big...ory_id=3503641
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:29 am
Phoenixuk2oz

yeah, that's fair enough, a 2:1 ratio for a bench mark cost. Although there is a good chance that your wages over there will be slightly above that ratio, which then would make it slightly cheaper.
First bit right. Second bit wrong

Wages usually slightly less well paid in Aus....so food is/can be deemed proportionatly more expensive

It's evened out though with other stuff being cheaper to buy than UK.

If you can work that out....then you're a better man than me

Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:35 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Jim
We did take a look at the websites before moving to OZ.

When we actually got there, compared to wages coming in the price of shopping was more expensive than the UK.

What we found in OZ was if you wanted to do a 'cheaper' shop..say budget items like tinned beans etc you cant do it. In the UK in most supermarkets you have a choice between budget, stores own and named products. In Oz we found that the choice was limited. You can't buy a cheap loaf like you can in Asda or Tesco. Some things are cheaper but overall shopping is definitely more expensive.

WARNING..........
The above information was in no way meant to put anyone off trying Oz for themselves. The info I provided was my own opinion and not meant to mislead...upset..influence or 'put down' anyone about to make the move to OZ. I have lived in Oz and now live in the UK so can compare for myself the differences.

P.S.. The above was for anyone who thinks I'm a troll !!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
First bit right. Second bit wrong

Wages usually slightly less well paid in Aus....so food is/can be deemed proportionatly more expensive

It's evened out though with other stuff being cheaper to buy than UK.

If you can work that out....then you're a better man than me
Depends how you calculate it !

Aus does seem to pay less than the going rate in jobs than over here, BUT it does depend on the current exchange rate as to "how good these wages seem to be", so if the Dollar is high to the pound, then the difference between the two increases, and visa versa if it is lower, so your last quote is to broad in its statement

I'm just saying that using a 2:1 ratio, or any other type of ratio calculation is a bit vague, try to put a bit more effort in, and you will get a "truer picture" of the difference's
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:57 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Depends how you calculate it !

Aus does seem to pay less than the going rate in jobs than over here, BUT it does depend on the current exchange rate as to "how good these wages seem to be", so if the Dollar is high to the pound, then the difference between the two increases, and visa versa if it is lower, so your last quote is to broad in its statement

I'm just saying that using a 2:1 ratio, or any other type of ratio calculation is a bit vague, try to put a bit more effort in, and you will get a "truer picture" of the difference's
The AUD has been around the Circa 2.4 to 2.5 mark for 9 months since we've been here. Aus salaries o the whole still work out less than UK. So food is still proportionatly more expensive IMO, even with the minor changes in exchange rate,it makes little difference.

However you are right, if you want to check out all the variables that may alter every day, which influence your thinking and put the AUD in your favour..that's OK with me. No worries as they say here.........and I've sent karma for your trouble

Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
The AUD has been around the Circa 2.4 to 2.5 mark for 9 months since we've been here. Aus salaries o the whole still work out less than UK. So food is still proportionatly more expensive IMO, even with the minor changes in exchange rate,it makes little difference.

However you are right, if you want to check out all the variables that may alter every day, which influence your thinking and put the AUD in your favour..that's OK with me. No worries as they say here.........and I've sent karma for your trouble
It's a Monday morning thing........cheers for the Karma, does that come with a pint of lager ?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:10 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Shopping comparison UK vs OZ

Jim
hi jim from shopping oz before for a large family what you have to remember is that the fresh fruit veggies and bloody massive compared to the tiny things we buy over here so you may buy 1here but in oz it may be 3 times the size/weight also shops always have specials running