Wikiposts

Shopping around

Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shopping around

Following on from the book thread....it certainly does pay to shop around.

few examples I can give:

I use Beconase nasal spray regularly.....I buy it from a chemist in Indooroopilly for $10.95. In other Chemists around the city it can be as much as $17.95 for exactly the same spray (same brand).

We bought a Clothes basket...quite nice for $50.
Saw it the other day in Big W for $20....but have also seen exactly the same one for $70

A brand of fishing braid....anything from $39 in some dealers to under $20 in Big W.

I mentioned my experience with nectarines a while ago

Why are there such big variations....I don't remember such differences in England

G
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:25 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping around

Originally Posted by Grayling

few examples I can give:

I use Beconase nasal spray regularly.....I buy it from a chemist in Indooroopilly for $10.95. In other Chemists around the city it can be as much as $17.95 for exactly the same spray (same brand).

Saw it the other day in Big W for $20....but have also seen exactly the same one for $70

A brand of fishing braid....anything from $39 in some dealers to under $20 in Big W.

Why are there such big variations....I don't remember such differences in England

G

It can because of the demographics and socio-economic conditions, such as brand of store (chainstores can sell cheaper than independents due to bulk purchasing power), areas (some areas where income/dwellings are more higher/expensive than others, goods will cost more even in the same chainstore than in areas with lower socio-economic conditions)ie goods would be dearer at, say, Coles Chermside or St Lucia, than at a Coles store in, say, in Inala.
Also it can be down to individual management to set their own margins. That's why any good manager will constantly be spying on their competitiors to be able to adjust their margins to maintain maximum patronage and profit.
Bottom line - if you want/need it, you will pay for it, whatever the cost or location.

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 5th 2008 at 1:30 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
It can because of the demographics and socio-economic conditions, such as brand of store (chainstores can sell cheaper than independents due to bulk purchasing power), areas (some areas where income/dwellings are more higher/expensive than others, goods will cost more even in the same chainstore than in areas with lower socio-economic conditions)ie goods dearer at say Coles Chermside than at a Coles in say Inala. Also it can be down to individual management to set their own margins.
I understand that.

However I tried to buy the beconase spray in the Noosa area and it was $16.95 in half a dozen chemists....both chains and independents.

Also the spray is cheaper in Indooroopilly (quite an affluent area) to other places in the city and surrounds.

G
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:37 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that.

However I tried to buy the beconase spray in the Noosa area and it was $16.95 in half a dozen chemists....both chains and independents.

Also the spray is cheaper in Indooroopilly (quite an affluent area) to other places in the city and surrounds.

G

In Noosa, nothing is cheap regardless of whether they are chain or independent = lots of money there.
If there is competition, the prices will reflect that. If there is no competition in the area, you'll pay whatever they want to charge. That's why any good manager will constantly be spying on their competitiors to be able to adjust their margins to maintain maximum patronage and profit. I guess there are a number of chemists in the Indooroopilly area to increase competition?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by The Bloke
In Noosa, nothing is cheap regardless of whether they are chain or independent = lots of money there.
If there is competition, the prices will reflect that. If there is no competition in the area, you'll pay whatever they want to charge. That's why any good manager will constantly be spying on their competitiors to be able to adjust their margins to maintain maximum patronage and profit. I guess there are a number of chemists in the Indooroopilly area to increase competition?
Well, whatever the reason, it does pay to shop around...if you have the time and can be bothered.

G
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it pays to shop around, for whatever reason the prices can vary, even between the same chain in different suburbs. We bought a bedcover from Target in Carindale when we moved house and it was half the price of the same one in Target in Capalaba. It takes time to shop around however but I have discovered that generally speaking you have no need to pay full price for anything as if you wait, someone always has it on special at some point.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of pharmacy drugs have recently dropped in price by quite large margins. Maybe you're noticing this effect as well.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

few examples I can give:

G
Good thread.. we all need reminding sometimes..

Em x
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by lesleys
A lot of pharmacy drugs have recently dropped in price by quite large margins. Maybe you're noticing this effect as well.
Nope....only bought the last ones recently....saw the spray again today for $17.95.

Still $10.95 in Indooroopilly....same chain of chemists as well

G