Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To shop or not to ship.....?

To shop or not to ship.....?

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of
Question To shop or not to ship.....?

Hi,

We are currently weighing up the costs of shipping all our large furniture to OZ or replacing when we get there. To help us along I was hoping that someone would have links to various OZ stores with websites where we could cost various items such as TV's, beds, white goods, suites of furniture etc.....

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Maybe I should mention we hope to be going to Perth.

Regards,
Darren

Last edited by aus2be; Oct 22nd 2007 at 12:44 pm. Reason: Oops! Forgot to mention location.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all
Default Re: To shop or not to ship.....?

Originally Posted by aus2be
Hi,

We are currently weighing up the costs of shipping all our large furniture to OZ or replacing when we get there. To help us along I was hoping that someone would have links to various OZ stores with websites where we could cost various items such as TV's, beds, white goods, suites of furniture etc.....

Regards,
Darren
Will watch this with interest as we are just getting quotes for shipping and trying to decide if we bring or I get to go on a shopping spree when I get to Perth.

Sandra
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Weve been quoted €6000 for a 20ft container, bout £4000. and have searched the net to see if we can refurnish a 2 bed house there for $9000.
We checked sites like Harvey Norman, fredom, ikea and other online shops in oz.
You've got to see whether you replace everything or only the thiings you'd really need to start off with. and how good your stuff is now.

Our stuff isn't older than a year and for a fuuly furnished 2 bed house it would have cost us more than $12K. and this is not replacing everything, leaving things out like blenders, toastie machine, bikes, desks, the smaller stuff that you don't need straight away.

So i'd add on another $4k to be sure.
Decided this morning were definatly spending the €6K for shipping.
It's also nice to have familiar when you arrive in a new country and don't know many people. at least you'd feel at "home"
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
<snip>
We checked sites like Harvey Norman, fredom, ikea and other online shops in oz.
<snip>
Did you check out the prices before you went and if so do you have links to the websites that you used?

Thanks for the reply BTW.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:15 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I worked out that to replace the contents of my flat for similar quality items once in Aus would have cost me 5 times as much as shipping it all Thus it's all sat in Melbourne awaiting my arrival...

I think people tend to forget how much things actually do cost and also how tempting it is when buying new stuff for a new life to get over enthusiastic and blow the budget
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Regards,
Darren
Hi Darren,
We've been quoted £3500 for a 20ft container - thats from Larne - Adelaide but doesn't include insurance. Thats through Baxters. We are also going to phone around a few other companies to get quotes too so we'll keep you posted.

All the best,
Sinead
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I worked out that to replace the contents of my flat for similar quality items once in Aus would have cost me 5 times as much as shipping it all Thus it's all sat in Melbourne awaiting my arrival...

I think people tend to forget how much things actually do cost and also how tempting it is when buying new stuff for a new life to get over enthusiastic and blow the budget
Thats what I was talking about. You just don't realise how much there is. and to replace the stupidest things. I have a juice centifuge, cost a good $250 to replace, but if I don't take my stuff, it wouldn't be the first thing to replace. but after a while i would buy one again. It's things you wouldn't think about, paintings or pics on the wall. toilet brushes, candle holders.
These are the things to work out.
I mean if your stuff is a biliion yrs old and you'd like to replace the lot than yeah why not, it's always fun to go shopping. But if your looking at it from a money wise thing, ship I'd say, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

www.harveynorman.com.au - Tv's pc's, kitchen stuff, vacuum cleaner's
www.freedom.com.au - furniture
www.ikea.com.au - furniture
www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au - all electrical things
www.kmart.com.au - lots of different things

I haven't moved yet, hopefully next september.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Poppydreams is on a distinguished road

This thread has some good websites on it for buying new household stuff.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478002

Hope it helps
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppydreams
This thread has some good websites on it for buying new household stuff.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478002

Hope it helps
hi we asked the same question and we are gunna get costs just to ship some of our stuff so far prices are bout £1900 to ship loads with a shared container as this will give us a chance to get rid of a load of junk that we have (ebay it or bootsale it) but have some of our stuff so our little boy will have some of his stuff around him to help him settle.

Our friend went to Adelaide early in the year and sold all their stuff got bout £2k for the lot and bought new in Oz but wished they had bought some stuff with them.

get some one round to give you some costs and go from there.

Good luck

Tina x
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why don't you find someone to share a 20ft container with? if theres someone in the area also going? bring the stuff to one place and pack a container yourself? split the £3500 cost. so for 1750 a 10ft container. then you can take everything u really want and ebay the rest
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sinurt
Hi Darren,
We've been quoted £3500 for a 20ft container - thats from Larne - Adelaide but doesn't include insurance. Thats through Baxters. We are also going to phone around a few other companies to get quotes too so we'll keep you posted.

All the best,
Sinead
Hi Sinead,

We had the guy from Baxters around yesterday and he also quoted £3500 for a 20ft container. Their insurance would cost 12% of shipping costs (not value of goods).

We are going to call around, maybe Allied Pickfords as I have some people say they have the option of a shared container would should help reduce costs.

Any idea when you hope to make the move?

PS: Just called Pickfords and they have a guy coming round tomorrow (Wednesday) to give a quote. I will let you know how we get on?

Regards,
Darren

Last edited by aus2be; Oct 23rd 2007 at 9:33 am. Reason: Just called Pickfords
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:20 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sinead,

We had the guy from Baxters around yesterday and he also quoted £3500 for a 20ft container. Their insurance would cost 12% of shipping costs (not value of goods).

We are going to call around, maybe Allied Pickfords as I have some people say they have the option of a shared container would should help reduce costs.

PS: Just called Pickfords and they have a guy coming round tomorrow (Wednesday) to give a quote. I will let you know how we get on?

Regards,
Darren
Pickfords quoted me £4100 for a 20ft container-3/4 full with contents of a 1 bed flat-found them the dearest...
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sinead,

Regards,
Darren
Hi Darren,

Yeah that would be great to hear what they quote you - although from what JoolsB said it could be dear Will maybe give Mcgimpsey's a call too as they are a local crowd.

We are hoping to be out by April/May next year all being well and hopefully the housing market will pick up again so we can sell our house soon!!

Sinead
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to all

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485900

This has loads of great websites for all sorts including furniture

We are planning to just take boxes of wee things, kids toys, pictures, tools, sentimental stuff and bikes. Hope to replace the rest when we arrive.

Hope this helps

Shona
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Poppydreams is on a distinguished road

We just a quote back from the shippers (PSS - done it online) to ship some basic household stuff (linen, pots and pans, crockery etc), toys, books, photos, computer and my beloved Dyson - no furniture though.
They quoted us £1000 door to door. Do you think this is reasonable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.