Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SHOCK.....Med delays

SHOCK.....Med delays

Old Apr 20th 2004, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Irene

we live in Dover, but decided to make the journey to Gatwick also, as we had heard good things about the service there!

Had our meds done last week. Med + chest x-ray+ HIV Blood Test = £190 each adult.

They can make appts for Mon-Fri anytime, as it's not a GP practice with everyday patients happening.

Good Luck
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by walaj
it incl X ray.

Add a fee of £6.50 for them to post all the meds/xrays to DIMIA

Hi Thats sound good I shall definitely be giving them a call then.

We were going to go there next month but have delayed due to pregnancy
Congratulations about the pregnancy the time will soon pass. Maybe you could get alot of stuff organised etc paperwork so than when you have a new baby it wont be so hectic?
Wishing you all the very best.
Irene
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Lara
Thanks for the very informative post.

I think getting pr visas are better if you can get them. it will give you more flexibility. I decided against sponsored visa when i was in melbourne last year. My friend was working full time and had to do what they said. she found it terribly stressful and it made her homesick.
I think that emigrating is difficult enough to do without all that hassle so thats why i have also gone for pr. It may take longer but have peace of mind.

I may just take the eldest girl out of school and say she is sick, not sure...will think on that.
Thanks again and I will email you if you dont mind with other questions as they arise. Thanks for the offer.
Irene
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for all of your replies you have been fantastic. I felt so down earlier and now feel great. Ive got lots of info so will arm myself with a printoff and make some calls tomorrow. Hopefully i will be able to arrange meds very shortly.

Incidentally no-one came back about my question of sending both meds and police check without being asked. Is it a good thing to do or not???????? has anyone had any experience of doing this and what happened?
Would appreciate some feedback as this may impact on what I do.
Irene
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LaraandBryn
Irene

Today cost £150 adult medical with xray £35 per child,

Sorry to butt in but I am soooo glad to read that. I am probably thick but really thought that the medicals were a standard price regardless of age, so to hear that children are substantially cheaper is fantastic news as we have four:scared: of them aged 8 years and under. Can now calculate massive saving on what we thought it would cost - now just what shall I do with the money???
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi,

What about trying chichester......we went there and we are down in Portsmouth
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:09 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

irene

If you're applying in your name under nursing and you easily fufill the 120 points that you now need,skills assessment work experience etc are all 0k then I think you should front load your aplication with medicals and police checks.
Go to the trimeline website and search under nurses code 2323-11(www.austimeline.com).You can see from this that the avewrage time at the moment is about 4 months ,if application is frontloaded it appears to be a bit quicker than that.
My circumstances were as you know a little different.
I,d go for it get everything ready ie register in oz skills assessed etc then get medicals done and send it all in together.You could always send in the application and when given a case number send them in then unrequested so that they have them quickly.I think with hind sight I would also use courier services for delivery rather than royal mail ,as you can't track RM once it has left the UK and Dimmia will not always confirm receipt of documents.

where are you hoping to go to?
R u working as a nurse at present? what area do you work in?
hope this helps you

Lara
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lara

I have already sent in my visa application 2/3/04 and acknowledged by dimia 31st march with case nbr. I actually have 125 points but applied when 115 is still applicable so am ok there.
I am a rmn so asco code 2325-11. Again have checked timelines and they are very short. There are not many of us applying in particular for skilled independent.

I already have positive skills assessment which has gone off with my visa application.

I am just waiting for the request for meds and police checks. considering the delays for meds at moment i may just go ahead and book meds and send off for police check. Hopefully by the time they arrive (police check 40 days) my letter from dimia requesting them will come through?

I am hoping to go to Melbourne mornington peninsula where i have family. There are quite a few psych units in this area and in melbourne itself there is the Alfred where I have friends working.
Irene
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Hi,

What about trying chichester......we went there and we are down in Portsmouth
Hi can you give me the phone nbr for chichester i will give them a ring today and can you tell me costs?

I just want to try and book the quickest medical with the least amount of expense. Each pound in my hand is worth a couple of dollars in oz!
Thanks
Irene
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by parkhigh
Hi
Maidenhead (01628 760 911) Mon/Tues/Thurs £145pp (adult, child not known) Xray & meds at same place

Does this price £145 include xrays or is this extra?

Maidenhead isnt too far away from us so either here or Horley gatwick looking good so far.
Thanks for yr reply
Irene
Hi

We had the same problems with Winchester, we're in B/stoke. Went to the Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead and they gave us an appointment the following week. Can do the xrays and the medical at the same time. Very very nice people. Only an hour or so from B/stoke too. £151 inc xrays and p&p to ASPC

Cheers !
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:23 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Irene,
As a nurse your meds and police checks will prob. be requested any time (received my request 4 weeks after acknowledgment letter) so if you get them booked you'll be ready when the letter comes. Do you have the forms and stuff? I often wonder when people say they front load where they get these from as ours were sent with request and our pics were stamped by DIMIA before they came to us. How do you sort this out if front loading?

By the way, loads of psych jobs around in Brisbane, only doing a bit of casual work so far as its early days and seem to have to much else to do but I'll let you know what its like when I get a proper job!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:35 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by parkhigh
Thanks for yr replies. I didnt realise that the meds were a variable charge. Are they not fixed? How much did you pay at Southampton and at Gatwick. We will probably look at those two locations.

Flying dutchman how long did it take for you to get an appt at southampton? Glad to hear that your meds have got sent off.

Out of interest did you both wait until meds and police checks were requested or did you go ahead and send them on. Im still undecided what I should do.
Irene
Southampton were expecting an influx of patients due to the closure of Bournemouth. In fact, they referred us. We were really lucky and got in on the same day we were due in Bournemouth, so in other words with only a few days notice. I think there had been a cancellation.

The total charges for 2 adults were £55 for each Xray, £120 for each medical. £350 in total - about £90 more than Bournemouth.

Shop around for the best deal. We waited until we were asked to go for meds and then got it all done.

Cheers
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi mcmercer
Nice to hear from you. I wondered how you were getting on. Its good to hear you have some work. I hope you are enjoying it and how does the work differ from at home?

As a nurse your meds and police checks will prob. be requested any time (received my request 4 weeks after acknowledgment letter) so if you get them booked you'll be ready when the letter comes. Do you have the forms and stuff? QUOTE

As for forms I already have my police forms received yesterday but not the med ones. Although have requested them and email stated should receive within 3 days. So hopeful they will come by weekend. I received acknowledgement dated 31st march so hopefully again not long now for request.

Thanks speak to you shortly
Irene
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flying dutchman
Southampton were expecting an influx of patients due to the closure of Bournemouth. In fact, they referred us. We were really lucky and got in on the same day we were due in Bournemouth, so in other words with only a few days notice. I think there had been a cancellation.

The total charges for 2 adults were £55 for each Xray, £120 for each medical. £350 in total - about £90 more than Bournemouth.

Shop around for the best deal. We waited until we were asked to go for meds and then got it all done.

Thanks flying dutchman, yes I think I will try and avoid southampton as it does sound a bit more expensive.
I have requested med forms, already got the police ones and will book meds in about 2 weeks. Hopefully my request for them will come through at the same time. if they dont and they are done then I may have to post a thread about that!
Thanks
irene