Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shock at dentist !!

Shock at dentist !!

Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Shock at dentist !!

Went to the dentist last night for a check-up and clean, my first visit since being in Oz.

I always went to the dentist every 6 months in UK and have never had any problems, not even a filling. She said I had good teeth and there weren't any issues when I saw her before leaving last year.

So got a shock last night to be told I need FOUR fillings !! Can you usually tell (ie. teeth hurt) if you need a filling? I just can't believe that in a year I suddenly need to get 4 fillings. Cost $109 for about 10 minutes for a check-up and clean so didn't hang around to find out the cost of the fillings.

Do you think I should get a second opinion?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock at dentist !!

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Went to the dentist last night for a check-up and clean, my first visit since being in Oz.

I always went to the dentist every 6 months in UK and have never had any problems, not even a filling. She said I had good teeth and there weren't any issues when I saw her before leaving last year.

So got a shock last night to be told I need FOUR fillings !! Can you usually tell (ie. teeth hurt) if you need a filling? I just can't believe that in a year I suddenly need to get 4 fillings. Cost $109 for about 10 minutes for a check-up and clean so didn't hang around to find out the cost of the fillings.

I would, either that or wait til they hurt
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:01 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes get a 2nd opinion!!!

A had a very keen dentist tell me i needed some fillings done ,when I told him to leave them and i would get a 2nd opinion ( he didn't even take an xray !)
He got very shitty , oh and surprise the 2nd opinion was all clear !
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme

A had a very keen dentist tell me i needed some fillings done ,when I told him to leave them and i would get a 2nd opinion ( he didn't even take an xray !)
He got very shitty , oh and surprise the 2nd opinion was all clear !
Hope that you reported that dentist to whatever the Dental association is called.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:06 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hope that you reported that dentist to whatever the Dental association is called.
had the 2nd check up at the same dentist surgery about 2 years later after i noticed the other one had gone . He wasn't very popular i understand , but didn't report him !
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
had the 2nd check up at the same dentist surgery about 2 years later after i noticed the other one had gone . He wasn't very popular i understand , but didn't report him !
ah, OK.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Hey Ozzidoc, you're a Geelong girl aren't you? Any recommendations for my second opinion?!

Judy
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:50 am
Just Joined

cazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Judes

Our first visits to the dentist cost a fortune! All four of us had a check up, I had to have two fillings that the Uk dentist said were fine as no problems with the teeth as yet, daughter had two tiny fillings one of which has come out and we had to pay again for the repair $86!!!! - couldn't believe it!!! Husband had a clean and polish and says he wont have another as his teeth have become very sensitive. Total cost of appointments was just over $900....incredible! I wonder if we have the same dentist. Is it in Belmont by any chance??

Hope to see you soon!

Cazzy
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:02 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Have a look at the teeth of the average english person compared to those of an aussie. Enough said - You need the fillings.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MD09
Have a look at the teeth of the average english person compared to those of an aussie. Enough said - You need the fillings.

Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:25 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tabby
Aussie teeth ---->

English Teeth ---->

You speaka da english?

Last edited by MD09; Sep 9th 2006 at 12:29 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 6:54 pm
JKA
Forum Regular

JKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MD09
Aussie teeth ---->

English Teeth ---->

You speaka da english?
There are more polite ways than that to get your point across mate.

Last edited by JKA; Sep 9th 2006 at 6:59 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you claim some of the costs back via medi care or dental insurance?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I went recently to the dentist,first visit $180 for check up,2 x-rays & a clean.
1st filling yeasterday cost $165, got another to do in 2 weeks time. I went regularly in UK & as I'd had children in 2002 & 2005, I'd had quite a lot done whilst it was free, so it's not like they'd been neglected.
We will deff have to look for a medical plan, expecially for the kids.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Now without stating the obvious, but why didn't you guys get medical cover first before visiting the dentist?

Simpy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.