Shipping work tools?

Wikiposts

Shipping work tools?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:34 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping work tools?

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hi Yvette,

Did not even think about doing that way. John has about 52Kg to go with.
Was it expensive that way?

Thankyou
Libby
Hello,

With the extra baggage allowance for migration purposes (i.e. 40kgs per person rather than 20kgs) this would give you 80kgs if there are 2 of you. So you could bring the tools and 28kgs of clothes (plus what you can put in your hand-luggage). Maybe you could send the rest of the clothes by parcel post or buy extra clothes when you turn up (assuming clothes are cheaper than tools).

Just an idea.
Regards
Alistair
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hi Yvette,

Did not even think about doing that way. John has about 52Kg to go with.
Was it expensive that way?

Thankyou
Libby

Libby

He paid around 600USD but not sure how much you would pay from UK we came from Zimbabwe - phone the airline and they will tell you how much per kg. The last post mentioned the migration allowance - it may seem alot but boy does it go quickly - the amount of stuff that I had to toss before we came was frightening and there was only me and our four year old daughter - and we hardly arrived with alot - plus I was still overweight. My bulky work suits I departed with and now I need to buy more here for work I feel that this option was good - just pay for the excess baggage - cause there is no way you can put tools and clothes into the allowance required - the tools are just too heavy.

Hope this helps Yvette
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou all for your replies, most appreciated.

Still not sure of the best way to do it yet, Just wondered if you turn up at an airport with lots of tools such as screwdrivers and the like, would not customs have a word with you? Just a thought.

Libby.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

I have just rang singapore airlines and they said it was ok to take tools on plane in the suitcases. They need to be packaged correctly such as in bubble wrap and within weight, and when checking in you need to tell the checkin staff. I hope this helps.

libby